BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-06-2019, 06:55 AM   #1
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Forward facing car seat top tether anchor

Hello all

Yesterday I was removing our 4 year old's Diono R100 car seat from the 1M to put into the loaner car BMW has given me and holy crap the top tether anchor was stuck into the rear shelf anchor. Took like 7 people to get it off and in the end a mechanic had to use tools to get it off!! Very frustrating!

The plastic hook that the anchor goes on is quite thick much thicker than other cars they showed me while we were struggling to get it off.

Have any of you had these issues removing the top tether anchor? Are there any solutions here? Was even asking them if they could upgrade the anchor but everybody seemed puzzled by that request.

Of course the seat uses the LATCH anchors but it's always advised to also install the top tether which I've always done. The seat almost never leaves the car...had no idea it would be so hard.
      07-07-2019, 07:40 AM   #2
Edrift
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E88

It's worse on the e88 convertible.
I have to feel around in between the back seat cushions (the anchors are in the seats as there is no parcel shelf) and to make things worse there are two bars you could clip on to. If you choose the incorrect one you are stuffed as it'll been impossible to remove.
It's hard enough removing it from the correct one.

For the 1M I'd imagine you can install a generic anchor? All the kids car seats I've bought always came with a generic anchor in case your car didn't already have one.
Appreciate 1
10"4973.00
      07-07-2019, 08:01 AM   #3
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I've had this same issue with the Diono car seat my daughter used. I think I had problems getting the top tether hook off of the anchor in a 2009 Toyota Corolla. I think the problem is with the hook design used by Diono. The actual hook part isn't long enough. For the lack of a better description, the metal flap/clip part is the part that caused me issues. I had to use a flat blade screw driver to pry up on the edge of the flap to get it to clear the anchor on the car.

Not sure if yours is the same way.
Appreciate 1
10"4973.00
      07-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #4
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrift View Post
I have to feel around in between the back seat cushions (the anchors are in the seats as there is no parcel shelf) and to make things worse there are two bars you could clip on to. If you choose the incorrect one you are stuffed as it'll been impossible to remove.

For the 1M I'd imagine you can install a generic anchor? All the kids car seats I've bought always came with a generic anchor in case your car didn't already have one.
Generic anchor meaning that attaches to the tether? Or to the actual anchor? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I've had this same issue with the Diono car seat my daughter used. I think I had problems getting the top tether hook off of the anchor in a 2009 Toyota Corolla. I think the problem is with the hook design used by Diono. The actual hook part isn't long enough. For the lack of a better description, the metal flap/clip part is the part that caused me issues. I had to use a flat blade screw driver to pry up on the edge of the flap to get it to clear the anchor on the car.

Not sure if yours is the same way.
I think you're right it's a Diono flaw! Will call them thank you
      07-07-2019, 06:35 PM   #5
Edrift
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E88

Generic anchor meaning you unbolt the factory OEM one and bolt in the generic one in place of it.
In Australia you get these included with the child seats, or can buy them at Kmart or and baby supply shop for about $A10.
Appreciate 1
10"4973.00
      07-07-2019, 07:52 PM   #6
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Generic anchor meaning you unbolt the factory OEM one and bolt in the generic one in place of it.
In Australia you get these included with the child seats, or can buy them at Kmart or and baby supply shop for about $A10.
Wow need this. I asked the BMW mechanics this the other day and they gave me blank stares like I asked them to show me a unicorn!! Lol
      07-08-2019, 03:19 PM   #7
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

My daughter has declared my e88 to be too small to hold my grandkids car seats, so I haven't had to mess with this yet. Good info, however, I keep hoping.
10"4973.00
      07-08-2019, 03:27 PM   #8
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
My daughter has declared my e88 to be too small to hold my grandkids car seats, so I haven't had to mess with this yet. Good info, however, I keep hoping.
It depends. My daughter is tall for her age because she's taking after me....being 6'5". I can get her into my 1 with a forward facing car seat. The catch is I have to move the passenger seat all the way forward and even tilt the back rest forward. So when I take my daughter anywhere, it's just the two of us because no one can fit in the front passenger seat or the rear seat behind me unless they're a midget.

The other problem is getting my daughter in and out of the car. But with a convertible, it's a bit easier with the top down.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 07:20 AM   #9
skillick
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Incoming SMB F80 CP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Quote:

Hi @Edrift Resurrecting a really old thread here so apologies!

I don't suppose you have any pictures/guides on finding the bars for clipping onto?

I went and viewed an E88 yesterday and although I managed to feel between the back seat cushions, I couldn't for the life of me work out what I'd attach the tether strap to!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 09:53 PM   #10
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

While I miss my Holden GTO I dont miss anchoring the seat to it. Two weeks ago the person in that car seat drove my 128i on a racecourse. By the end of the summer before going off to college, she will probably drive the Cayman on the track. Sometimes getting old doesn't suck.