BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-31-2018, 09:15 PM   #67
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 135i

Garage List
When ER Widebody is not wide enough...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 09:22 PM   #68
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr1 View Post
What brand over fenders are those?
      07-31-2018, 09:50 PM   #69
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by odj View Post
Good to see another track build coming along.

Though... I don't get your thinking in regards to the RSFB. You can easily do the two piece Whiteline in your driveway with a jack and a heat gun. It's such a no brainer and makes a big difference in feel that I don't know why you'd bother with some of the other mods without doing that first.

Are you working with Leroy? Just saw their site last week. Pretty cool trailers. Having built my own I was interested in checking them out.
This car really needs solid aluminum subframe bushings
Yup, and that is why BMW Motorsport sell that exact thing.

Edit: sorry, did not notice how old the post I replied to was.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2018, 10:07 PM   #70
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Quote:
What brand over fenders are those?
Clinched. I'll take some better pictures this weekend at Mont Tremblant.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 10:09 PM   #71
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by odj View Post
Good to see another track build coming along.

Though... I don't get your thinking in regards to the RSFB. You can easily do the two piece Whiteline in your driveway with a jack and a heat gun. It's such a no brainer and makes a big difference in feel that I don't know why you'd bother with some of the other mods without doing that first.

Are you working with Leroy? Just saw their site last week. Pretty cool trailers. Having built my own I was interested in checking them out.
This car really needs solid aluminum subframe bushings
Yup, and that is why BMW Motorsport sell that exact thing.

Edit: sorry, did not notice how old the post I replied to was.
No worries. And yes, to the relief of many, I did do the RSFB.
Appreciate 2
      08-01-2018, 10:32 PM   #72
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just to add some more context:

With the combination of PSS10 suspension (VERY low up front at max height) and caster from M3 front arms I could not run 265 width up front without tearing up the front end on track. So I ended up cutting the holy grail, paint matching ER widebody I bought here in the forums.

For 265+ fitment I was not going to replace suspension, not now. The PSS10 will stay until I NEED replacement because it is a great product in that price range and does everything I need it to do.

Ultimately the goal is to run 265 or 275 square on et22 offsets all around. The rear is obviously the limiting factor with the et22 so I'll end up having a professional cut and weld the rear and then add 2 more Clinched overfenders.

But first.... I need a diff. That's my winter project for this year. Giken or 2/3 clutch is where my focus is. Feedback welcomed.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 11:09 PM   #73
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

The ER fenders seriously wouldn't clear 265s? On what wheel and offset? I was under the impression they were as accommodating as the 1M.

I'm also holding out for a clutch diff..
      08-01-2018, 11:12 PM   #74
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Just to add some more context:

With the combination of PSS10 suspension (VERY low up front at max height) and caster from M3 front arms I could not run 265 width up front without tearing up the front end on track. So I ended up cutting the holy grail, paint matching ER widebody I bought here in the forums.

For 265+ fitment I was not going to replace suspension, not now. The PSS10 will stay until I NEED replacement because it is a great product in that price range and does everything I need it to do.

Ultimately the goal is to run 265 or 275 square on et22 offsets all around. The rear is obviously the limiting factor with the et22 so I'll end up having a professional cut and weld the rear and then add 2 more Clinched overfenders.

But first.... I need a diff. That's my winter project for this year. Giken or 2/3 clutch is where my focus is. Feedback welcomed.
Wow crazy that you can't run 265 up front with the ER, have you done the linear spring conversion? Getting the perch up above the wheel is the goal.

I could probably run 285 with the 1M front since the spring perches are above the tire on my coilover setup. I also liked the PSS10s, they are probably one of the most underrated coilovers in the 2k range (with the linear spring conversion)
      08-01-2018, 11:55 PM   #75
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

That is definitely not true that the ER will not fit a 265. The fenders are 2.5" wider than stock fenders and many of us, myself included, run wide 255s on stock fenders. ER themselves state that you can comfortably fit a 10" rim with a 10.5" rim max.

The issue is your PSS10s - you have a ton less clearance than the rest of us as your spring perch is not above the tire.

Also wondering why you would spend the money cut and weld the rear to run a low offset 9.5" wheel when you can easily fit that under stock fenders if you just buy the right offset?

-Mark
      08-07-2018, 12:20 AM   #76
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
That is definitely not true that the ER will not fit a 265. The fenders are 2.5" wider than stock fenders and many of us, myself included, run wide 255s on stock fenders. ER themselves state that you can comfortably fit a 10" rim with a 10.5" rim max.

The issue is your PSS10s - you have a ton less clearance than the rest of us as your spring perch is not above the tire.

Also wondering why you would spend the money cut and weld the rear to run a low offset 9.5" wheel when you can easily fit that under stock fenders if you just buy the right offset?

-Mark
Agreed on the spring perch. Ride height with the PSS10 is also a major limiting factor. I was in a pinch and over fenders were the quick and dirty solution.

With regards to the rears, my thought process there is to run square offsets all the way around so I can rotate tires. I currently fit 255 r888r without modifying the fenders, but with non-front-matching offsets. Thank you for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 04:54 PM   #77
ajsmithvmi
Professional Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

If rear outboard clearance is an issue, you can do a hub conversion, effectively changing your offset by 10mm:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...33416760058kt/

Combined with fender rolling, I would imagine this would be a lot less of a headache than cutting and welding the rear.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 07:16 AM   #78
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmithvmi View Post
If rear outboard clearance is an issue, you can do a hub conversion, effectively changing your offset by 10mm:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...33416760058kt/

Combined with fender rolling, I would imagine this would be a lot less of a headache than cutting and welding the rear.
Less of a headache, maybe. Better handling? Nope. This is what drag cars do not roadcourse cars. You need to keep the rear stance swuate with the front which means pulling the rear fenders. It's really not that costly to get it done professionally and with a pull I can run 17x9 et23. The rear is much less playful now it's amazing what 2 inches wider track width can do...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 08:56 AM   #79
ajsmithvmi
Professional Hack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Less of a headache, maybe. Better handling? Nope. This is what drag cars do not roadcourse cars. You need to keep the rear stance swuate with the front which means pulling the rear fenders. It's really not that costly to get it done professionally and with a pull I can run 17x9 et23. The rear is much less playful now it's amazing what 2 inches wider track width can do...
Ahh thanks for correcting me, not that I was going to do this any time soon but I will scratch that idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 09:27 PM   #80
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenup View Post
The ER fenders seriously wouldn't clear 265s? On what wheel and offset? I was under the impression they were as accommodating as the 1M.

I'm also holding out for a clutch diff..
Sorry I missed your post earlier, 18" Apex EC-7 ET22. Again, not the ER Widebody kit itself that is limiting clearance, but a combination of the suspension variables that I've introduced.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2018, 09:58 AM   #81
ajsmithvmi
Professional Hack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
I can run 17x9 et23. The rear is much less playful now it's amazing what 2 inches wider track width can do...

Do you run an ET23 on all 4 corners?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 01:58 PM   #82
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmithvmi View Post
Do you run an ET23 on all 4 corners?
ET 25 up front. ET23 out back with 9" wheels and Hankook TD's in 255/40/17. They run significantly wider than a street tire.

I prefer this setup significantly more than when I had 255/275 with a much higher rear offset to clear the fenders. Car just didn't handle well with ET45 out back even with the 275s to compensate.

Last edited by bbnks2; 10-09-2018 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 12:21 AM   #83
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 Update

It has been a while so time for little update as we get ready for the 2019 season.

Right now the car is at Turner Motorsports for the rear diff.... FINALLY I pulled the trigger. I went with diffsonline 3 clutch with 35/60 ramps as recommended by Dan from diffsonline and Brew at Turner for our platform and my application. I also upgraded the diff bushings with the Powerflex 95A track/race.

I removed my JB4 and had Turner do a dyno Cobb Pro-Tune. These are my crank numbers with stock turbos, pump gas and mid-cats still on the car. The 3 runs are separate maps: base setup, wet map and full power. You can see the limitation of the stock turbos in the plot.

I have proactively replaced the rear link hardware with ARP bolts given the single shear design of our links. At the end of last season I also proactively replaced the rear lower arm camber bolts since after my local BMW tech shared horror stories of damaged subframes from these bolts seizing or shearing on removal.

I also added the Hard Motorsports rear upright kit (e90 fitment) with the 67" APR wing. Good news, there were enough threads on bumper studs that I am still able to run my trailer hitch.

To balance that rear aero I also picked up an e90 M3 front splitter from Hard Motorsport. I needed the added width to match the Evolution Racewerks wide body. I will install this after I get it trimmed up.

I have stripped out the headliner from the half cage forward in preparation for the carbon fiber moonroof panel install. I will report back exact weight savings once I complete. Note: the moonroof control panel throws an SRS code if unplugged due to the passenger airbag light. Since I am still road legal I temporarily moved that panel into the glove compartment.

The e90 Hard Motorsport radio delete panel also fits e82 without modification.

Yesterday I ordered some Federal FZ-201(Soft) in 265/35-18. I am curious to see how they hold up and plan to try the Medium compound later this season as ambient temps rise.

I post some more updates and thoughts on the aero once I get out on track later this month.

Last edited by Dr1; 04-06-2019 at 12:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2019, 07:47 PM   #84
Protege03ak46
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i black

Are you gonna be making a air dam for the splitter? Is that the Leichtbau or regular m3 splitter. Interested to see how it all counts up. I also have the er wide body and was curious about running the hard Motorsports stuff. Car looks good! Stoked to see where you take it
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 07:59 PM   #85
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protege03ak46 View Post
Are you gonna be making a air dam for the splitter? Is that the Leichtbau or regular me. Interested to see how it all counts up. I also have the er wide body and was curious about running the hard Motorsports stuff. Car looks good! Stoked to see where you take it
The M3 splitter. When I mocked it up I had about 1" sticking out on each side beyond the width of the front bumper

Air dam is essential but I have no solid plan on how I am going to do it. I might try to use some HDPE from a roll I have. If I can get it to the shape I want, from there I'd rivet to the splitter and use motorcycle windscreen well nuts to attach to the fiberglass bumper cover. I've had success with those well nuts when I attached my fender flares to the fiberglass ER kit since they don't stress the fiberglass.

Or I could try and do it with aluminum but I have zero experience working with metal.

I only know what I've seen at the track as far as air dams go. I don't care how ugly it looks as long as it gets the job done.

I am open to ideas that any of you have.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 07:21 PM   #86
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So I got the front air dam and splitter sorted. I ended up going with the Home Depot garden edging for the air dam and I am quite pleased with the results. It is pressure fit against the bumper and held to the splitter with some 1" L-brackets that I cut from a piece of angle aluminum. A little tedious but huge $ savings over buying individual brackets.

I also installed the BW carbon fiber sunroof panel. I weighted all the parts and the weight savings was 34.6 lbs. Fitment is excellent and I was able to create a water tight seal with a single small tube of Permatex auto glass/window silicone sealant. It is self leveling and claims to be liquid enough to find its way into gaps you cannot see. Regardless, it did the job marvelously.

Yesterday I also added a trackspec hood vent. The e90 fitment is excellent for the e82. Make sure you have a few cutoff wheels on hand because there are 4 layers of steel in the front of the factory hood. The location of install is beneficial in two ways. One, this is a good low pressure area on the hood for efficient ventilation that will reduce front end lift. Two, when it rains the water will be draining down into the engine compartment in front of the engine, thus lowering risk of water contacting the injector wiring and air filters.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 09:38 PM   #87
Mark Aubele
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Really nice job on the airdam and splitter.
Appreciate 1
Dr182.00
      05-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #88
Relegate
Track Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 2013 X5 35d

I LOVE following this thread, and FB posts. It took me a while to find it again so it’s bookmarked now.

On my front I switched from KW to shorter 9k eibach Race springs and 12k rear. The shorter springs, as mentioned, allow me to run 17x9 255/40/17 with stock massaged fenders with a 12mm spacer.

I may go fender hack and run some 10cm Clinched flares front and rear for some more rubber but next on the list is the LSD. I’m still running the floppy OMG splitter but have had no issues. I chose RaceLouvers.com vent because of the wind tunnel testing and integrated gurney flaps. The cooling and downforce/lift reduction is noticeable and in matching my best laptimes on stock power (vs JB4 map 2 or 5). More track Monday. Thanks for continuing to keep updating this thread and all of the detail you’ve provided!!!
Appreciate 1
dtla1826.00