BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-11-2019, 12:01 AM   #309
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Little teaser from today with the new wheels on. SO stoked.

Appreciate 3
MCShred99.00
spxxx1349.00
      04-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #310
mKilgore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Damn you! Are those the Ze40 wheels? If so, did you weigh them?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 03:39 PM   #311
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKilgore View Post
Damn you! Are those the Ze40 wheels? If so, did you weigh them?
Ha, yeah they're ZE40's. I didn't weigh them but info online says they're 18lbs. They do feel light. Got them used for a sweet deal.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 06:55 AM   #312
mabrahams
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport 28i

Any updates on the build? When’s the first test day?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 04:23 PM   #313
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrahams View Post
Any updates on the build? When’s the first test day?
I wasn't totally happy with the passengers rear quarter, so the body shop is making some adjustments. HOPING to go out to a KW test day at Streets of Willow on May 17th. In order to make it, car needs to be out of the shop by Friday next week so I can do some maintenance and make sure it's good to go.
Going to do a big suspension change soon too, especially because of the aero going on the car. But I'll likely shake it down the way it is first.

I did get the interior mostly back together, along with the OEM non-sunroof headliner. So stoked! Charged the Braille lithium ion battery and the car started right up after not running since December. So excited to get back in this thing.

Appreciate 1
      05-04-2019, 06:19 PM   #314
mabrahams
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport 28i

Good to hear!

Quote:
Going to do a big suspension change soon too
DA or TA remote reservoirs? That’s the thing; you make one adjustment, other things have to come up too.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 06:41 PM   #315
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrahams View Post
Good to hear!

DA or TA remote reservoirs? That’s the thing; you make one adjustment, other things have to come up too.
Will be doing 2-way remote to keep within class rules for GTA and Bimmer Challenge.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 08:10 AM   #316
st-pierre
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i N55

UPDATE! We want updates Did you change the roll cage or still the same one as before ?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 01:09 PM   #317
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by st-pierre View Post
UPDATE! We want updates Did you change the roll cage or still the same one as before ?
I wish I had them for you! And I wish I wasn't missing every cool-temp event this season, but this is cost of doing stupid projects, right? Oh well.

I wasn't happy with the inner wheel housings and there were some fitment/alignment issues when I put the rear bumper on. The pass side rear quarter is being adjusted unfortunately, but I want this done once and done right. New wheel housing is looking great and proper. Being that it's late in the season already, I'm not so concerned with getting out on the track any time soon. There is a Bimmer Challenge event in June at Laguna Seca, which I'd love to make, but other than that, I likely won't drive much till it cools down in Sept/October later in the year.

Meanwhile, I ordered MCS 2way Remote Resevoir coilovers, will be pairing them with Eibach springs and am looking forward to really dialing the car in once it's back out there. MCS has been awesome to deal with and I can't recommend them enough, just based off their reputation and customer service thus far.

Yes, keeping my old roll bar for now. I might revise it or remake one in the future, as I'd really like to tie the rear shock towers together properly and integrate the cage to the chassis more than it currently is. No sweat for now, looks good and it'll do the job.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #318
st-pierre
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Keep it up, the final result is surely going to be amazing !!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 10:24 AM   #319
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Been following this for a while on IG and here, well done and looks like a proper weapon. Any specific reason why you choose the 1 series platform versus other options? Certainly helps to be able to carry more items and a full set of wheels/tires to and from the track - cannot do that in my Z.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 06:13 PM   #320
mickey914
Registered
Rep
Drives: None

Hey berns

your inbox is full again. i was going to see if you have any of the stock parts left. I need the rear bumper.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 01:46 AM   #321
berns
Captain
Rep

Well, today was a good day! The car saw sunlight and left the body shop for the first time in about 5 months. It's been a long journey, but it's an awesome feeling to see what's only been in my imagination for so long, parked right in front of me. Just a cell phone pic for now. Long to-do list once I trailer it from the body shop to EAS tomorrow where I'll take over a lift for a few days to take care of maintenance and upgrades.

-Need to make new mounts for the oil coolers to push them further back toward the fender liners so I can build some ducting to help temps.
-Installing the new CSF intercooler, which will shave weight and hopefully be better suited to stock turbo track things, compared to the massive VRSF race core.
-Have to fit the new MCS 2way Remotes and find a nice place to mount the reservoirs.
-Also swapping to M3 rear spring arms
-Full nut & bolt check and making sure everything is torqued to spec. Have had too many loose bolts in bad places, and this is just from laziness on my part. I need to be better about doing things right and checking up on it. Amazing that I set my record lap at Buttonwillow with three loose control arm bolts (both fronts and one rear). I could change camber on all the wheels by hand in the air...
-Swapping out my RedLine 10w40 and trying out some Ravenol 5w40. Also replacing the stupid oil condition sensor, but man do I wish there was a dipstick kit out there.
-Going to install a 185* thermostat as well, because this thing doesn't warm up unless it's on the track which is really no bueno.
-Have to mount the front splitter, and then it's time to get it on the scales and see where we're at. At that point I'll decide if there's anything else I want to remove to save weight. My goal is 3000lbs without me. Any bets?

Appreciate 3
1and11851.50
spxxx1349.00
      06-27-2019, 01:55 PM   #322
st-pierre
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

She looks like a beast with the meaty fitment. Whats the weight difference between the VRSF and CSF intercooler, just received my CSF intercooler and find it heavy, curious to know how much more the VRSF is.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 02:06 PM   #323
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post
Well, today was a good day! The car saw sunlight and left the body shop for the first time in about 5 months. It's been a long journey, but it's an awesome feeling to see what's only been in my imagination for so long, parked right in front of me. Just a cell phone pic for now. Long to-do list once I trailer it from the body shop to EAS tomorrow where I'll take over a lift for a few days to take care of maintenance and upgrades.

-Need to make new mounts for the oil coolers to push them further back toward the fender liners so I can build some ducting to help temps.
-Installing the new CSF intercooler, which will shave weight and hopefully be better suited to stock turbo track things, compared to the massive VRSF race core.
-Have to fit the new MCS 2way Remotes and find a nice place to mount the reservoirs.
-Also swapping to M3 rear spring arms
-Full nut & bolt check and making sure everything is torqued to spec. Have had too many loose bolts in bad places, and this is just from laziness on my part. I need to be better about doing things right and checking up on it. Amazing that I set my record lap at Buttonwillow with three loose control arm bolts (both fronts and one rear). I could change camber on all the wheels by hand in the air...
-Swapping out my RedLine 10w40 and trying out some Ravenol 5w40. Also replacing the stupid oil condition sensor, but man do I wish there was a dipstick kit out there.
-Going to install a 185* thermostat as well, because this thing doesn't warm up unless it's on the track which is really no bueno.
-Have to mount the front splitter, and then it's time to get it on the scales and see where we're at. At that point I'll decide if there's anything else I want to remove to save weight. My goal is 3000lbs without me. Any bets?

Wow that looking amazing. I'm sold on the rear 1M conversion now.

When's your next track day? I need to get out there, it's been way too long.
      06-28-2019, 12:58 PM   #324
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
She looks like a beast with the meaty fitment. Whats the weight difference between the VRSF and CSF intercooler, just received my CSF intercooler and find it heavy, curious to know how much more the VRSF is.
VRSF 7.5" race weighs about 37lbs...
CSF weighs about 27. Intercoolers are heavy business. Stock unit weighs only 7.5lbs which is incredible, but it is also majorly useless on track. Wish there was a lighter solution for sure. I'll get them both on a scale again when I take everything off next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post

Thanks Spencer! It was a ton of work, especially paired with the roof, headliner, all of it. But I can happily say after 5 months of balancing the build with work and dealing with all of it, that it was worth it. I'm in love with this thing now. It's way too nice for me and I have no idea what I was thinking, but I'm happy.

Going to spend the next month getting the car set up properly, making sure there are zero issues, probably get it tuned for e85 with low boost and low power, and enjoy some canyons and street miles over the summer before I ruin it on track. Probably won't be out to the track again till September the earliest. I hate summer track days.

Some pics from yesterday.

Appreciate 3
      06-28-2019, 02:12 PM   #325
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Wow, came out top notch man. Body work costs too much money. Such a drastic change though going from a 135i to a 1M. Performance and looks to go with it...

Tuning on E85 with a modest tune might really help alleviate some heat.

Last edited by bbnks2; 06-28-2019 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
berns1557.00
      07-01-2019, 01:29 AM   #326
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
CSF weighs about 27. Intercoolers are heavy business. Stock unit weighs only 7.5lbs which is incredible, but it is also majorly useless on track. Wish there was a lighter solution for sure. I'll get them both on a scale again when I take everything off next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post

Thanks Spencer! It was a ton of work, especially paired with the roof, headliner, all of it. But I can happily say after 5 months of balancing the build with work and dealing with all of it, that it was worth it. I'm in love with this thing now. It's way too nice for me and I have no idea what I was thinking, but I'm happy.

Going to spend the next month getting the car set up properly, making sure there are zero issues, probably get it tuned for e85 with low boost and low power, and enjoy some canyons and street miles over the summer before I ruin it on track. Probably won't be out to the track again till September the earliest. I hate summer track days.

Some pics from yesterday.

Yeah man, I should have planned to finish my rear fenders and DCT swap in Q2 with work being crazy. I've only driven the car twice this year... So sad.

Just pumped to have this Google deal close & have time to blow on making my ghetto 1M less ghetto. Cruise up to Laguna/Sonoma, it's occasionally not disgustingly hot up here lol
berns1557.00
      08-06-2019, 08:27 PM   #327
berns
Captain
Rep

Getting there... Went down to European Auto Source (my other family) and installed my MCS 2way Remote setup with Eibach race springs. I know I've said it before, but seriously, Steve and Tom and the rest of the guys there are the best. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything handled on your car.

I decided to stay with a divorced rear spring for now and am using Ground Control rear weight jackers. These things are super rad. Height adjustment is now made via and long allen head. No need to disconnect anything in the rear, just jack up and rotate with a socket and ratchet with a long extension. Corner balancing time is cut down by a ton. The weight jackers articulate to keep the spring moving freely with the suspension. Also added M3/1M rear spring arms which are lighter, stronger and wider than stock. The coilovers are setup for true rear should I want to do that in the future.

Haven't driven much since the car isn't fully registered yet (stupid SMOG), but I did take an old freeway merge that I love (105W to 405N) at 100+ late at night and cannot believe how planted and glued this thing feels. Could also be that I've been driving a 4Runner for 6 months...

Car weight is 3170lbs with a little less than 3/4 tank of gas. Last weight with the sunroof, steel roof and OEM trunk was 3244lbs, so I shaved 75lbs since the 1M conversion, carbon roof and I'm guessing the MCS setup is a bit lighter than the KW clubsports.

***Sidenote -- I decided to create a new Instagram account for racing and car-build things, since I didn't want to floor my other account as it serves mostly as my portfolio. If you want to see other build updates or track vids, www.instagram.com/bernooo_1m

Here's where I mounted the reservoirs... Wasn't using the kidney ducts for the intake, so why not keep these cool.

Here is the curb weight:

And here is the perfect 50% cross weight after corner balancing with me in it.

Last edited by berns; 08-06-2019 at 08:41 PM..
Appreciate 4
1and11851.50
bbnks21206.50
dtla1826.00
      08-07-2019, 08:59 PM   #328
Joeyz31
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

This is one of my favorite builds on the internet right now and somehow just keeps getting better. This thing is so rad and thank you for all of the in depth posts. This thing must rip and look forward to hearing your feedback on the new suspension set up, when you get it back on the track.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #329
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyz31 View Post
This is one of my favorite builds on the internet right now and somehow just keeps getting better. This thing is so rad and thank you for all of the in depth posts. This thing must rip and look forward to hearing your feedback on the new suspension set up, when you get it back on the track.
Thanks so much, man! Happy to share my hobby.
Appreciate 1
dtla1826.00
      09-05-2019, 06:28 PM   #330
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Do you have any strategies to help improve the front-rear weight distribution? 54F is pretty rough, I am wondering if you have any "easy" weight loss still available - windshield washer fluid system, A/C, etc?

I do love that bodywork though, damn I wish the stars had aligned to widebody my 1er.

-Mark