BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-24-2018, 05:35 PM   #23
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

This is about as good a use of a 135i as any. Wondering if you would mind posting a little overview on the track scene where you live, like what's involved to get on the track and what sort of things are allowed / prohibited when you run.

Where I live there are WAY too many damn regulations, far too few tracks and it's an extreme pain in the ass to get a car on the track. So much so that I've completely given up on tracking my 135 anymore and switched to motorcycles. I guess you could say my countrymen hate motorsport.

Anyway nice build, please post some onboard video!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 05:27 PM   #24
NinjaDog
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Sure. I live in Sydney NSW, and we are lucky to have four tracks (one of which has a few variants) within 2 hours of home, which include Sydney Motorsport Park, Wakefield Park, Luddenham Raceway and Marulan Driver Training Centre.

Track days at these tracks are pretty frequent, and time and cost permitting I am aiming to be on the track once a month.

Some car clubs also hold "supersprints" which are basically Time attack events, and there is a State series which can be entered.

Getting on the track at a track day is fairly simple, you can usually just show up with a helmet and drive. The competition days usually requires things like fire extinguishers and bonnet restraints installed, but usually if you turn up with a helmet you are good to go. Of course I usually bleed brakes and change oil every other track meet and do a spanner check but that's on me.

Let me know If you want any more info, will hopefully be at a track day sometime next month for a shakedown and get some film!

I am curious though, what makes it so difficult in the States?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 07:03 PM   #25
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaDog View Post
I am curious though, what makes it so difficult in the States?
Lack of tracks, lack of frequent track days, high cost when trackdays are available (over $1000 usd a weekend just to be there is not uncommon), stupid rules on passing depending on who you run with, need to have a currently inspected, road legal car to run with the the org that is most convenient for me.

So yeah, there's that and then there's motocross. Three tracks within an hour of me that are open to the public not only on weekends but during the week. Pay $25 and ride all day long. Open practice so you can go as fast as you want, where you want, with no restrictions on passing or anything. That's how it should be done for cars, but I guess there's too much liability or something. We are just plain stupid about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 07:15 PM   #26
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Car has been sitting dormant for a while but I've just recently fitted the following parts:

M3 arms
KW Clubsports
Cobb chargepipe
Wagner Evo 2 intercooler
MHD stage 1+

Took it for a spin last night and was seriously shocked. It is FAST. Fastest car I have driven. Third gear pulls like a freight train.

I think I am going to stick with Stage 1+ for a while 😬

Anyway, as the theme with the project goes, my challenge is budget and right now I am lacking funds but I really need tyres so that is the next hurdle before hitting the track
Favorite "Street" track tire I've used in the last two years is the Nexen Sur4G. Can't recommend it enough. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 07:03 AM   #27
dane083
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Look into Westlake tyres too, they're pretty popular here and cheap and sticky
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 05:55 PM   #28
NinjaDog
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post
Favorite "Street" track tire I've used in the last two years is the Nexen Sur4G. Can't recommend it enough. Enjoy!
Looks like they don't sell in Aus

Gonna start with a Federal Rs-RR and go from there. I am used to doing track days on semis so let's see how long I can last on these

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane083 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Any tyre in particular suitable for track days?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 01:17 PM   #29
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:

Gonna start with a Federal Rs-RR and go from there. I am used to doing track days on semis so let's see how long I can last on these

I use the Federals for autocross and track days and they've been pretty good for me so far. They're not quite as grippy as the top tires in the category (Bridgestone RE-71R, BFG Rival S) but they're probably about 90% as good for half the price. I will say that I wouldn't recommend them for daily driving because they hum very loudly; it sounds like a small airplane is chasing you around everywhere you go!
      07-31-2018, 09:11 PM   #30
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane083 View Post
I like the RSRR tires and the Federal FZ 201 tires too if you want a cheap R-comp. Honestly the RE71RS are pretty cheap these days from America's Tire ($215/ea for 275/35/18) going through their eBay store.
      09-13-2018, 05:06 AM   #31
NinjaDog
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Stuff is happening

Appreciate 1
BimmerAg425.00
      09-30-2018, 08:52 PM   #32
NinjaDog
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

First track day is in the books!

Went to an Interclub Superprint at Sydney Motorsport Park on the Amaroo (South) Circuit.
A really fun little and technical track with lots of elevation changes and off camber corners.
First session I had to rush out and the car felt skittish and a bit all over the place and made me question my purchase of the car lol. Turns out the tyres were way over pressure (45psi hot) and reducing it 10psi made the car planted and overall WAAAY better to drive. Over 4 sessions I managed to reduce my PB from 1.17 to 1.12 (which is still slow AF) but I was feeling a lot more confident in the end. My attempt to record the sessions resulted in this:

..so no footage unfortunately.
Anyway I had a blast and I'm very happy with the setup, although I did hit limp mode:

Will fit an oil cooler to sort this out hopefully.

Hoping to get another track day in before Christmas.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 06:49 AM   #33
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
First track day is in the books!

Went to an Interclub Superprint at Sydney Motorsport Park on the Amaroo (South) Circuit.
A really fun little and technical track with lots of elevation changes and off camber corners.
First session I had to rush out and the car felt skittish and a bit all over the place and made me question my purchase of the car lol. Turns out the tyres were way over pressure (45psi hot) and reducing it 10psi made the car planted and overall WAAAY better to drive. Over 4 sessions I managed to reduce my PB from 1.17 to 1.12 (which is still slow AF) but I was feeling a lot more confident in the end. My attempt to record the sessions resulted in this:

..so no footage unfortunately.
Anyway I had a blast and I'm very happy with the setup, although I did hit limp mode:

Will fit an oil cooler to sort this out hopefully.

Hoping to get another track day in before Christmas.
You should probably read the code because neither your coolant or your oil was high enough to cause any kind of limp mode. I see 219f coolant and 262f oil... The car runs at those temps on the street in economy mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 06:55 AM   #34
NinjaDog
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Celcius
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 07:40 AM   #35
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Celcius
Yes, I converted c to f. You show your car peaked 216f coolant and 262f oil. both of which are relatively low.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2018, 07:58 AM   #36
ajsmithvmi
Professional Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Check for 30FF/30FE.

How may miles on the engine/turbos?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 03:25 PM   #37
NinjaDog
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Yes, I converted c to f. You show your car peaked 216f coolant and 262f oil. both of which are relatively low.
My bad I misread.
The car did not hit limp mode in the 3rd and 4th runs
Engine/turbos have 156000kms. I have only had the car for 6 months though
I'll check the codes, thanks guys

EDIT: Codes below

Last edited by NinjaDog; 10-01-2018 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 02:13 PM   #38
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
My bad I misread.
The car did not hit limp mode in the 3rd and 4th runs
Engine/turbos have 156000kms. I have only had the car for 6 months though
I'll check the codes, thanks guys

EDIT: Codes below

doesn't look to me like any of that has to do with an oil cooler. Might want to start by cleaning the VANOS solenoid on the exhaust side and/or swap it with the intake solenoid to see if the code follows.

Power management, and other random codes, usually pops up when your voltage dips too low. Might want to check the health of your battery.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 10:12 AM   #39
mKilgore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I'm jealous that you were at Sydney motorsports park. I follow, as best I can, WTAC there every year. I'd love to drive that track and see what it is really like and get a feel for just how fast those Time Attack cars are. Hopefully one soon I'll make the trip in person.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 07:34 PM   #40
NinjaDog
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
doesn't look to me like any of that has to do with an oil cooler. Might want to start by cleaning the VANOS solenoid on the exhaust side and/or swap it with the intake solenoid to see if the code follows.

Power management, and other random codes, usually pops up when your voltage dips too low. Might want to check the health of your battery.
Are the intake and exhaust solenoids the same thing?
I was just going to replace with an EBay solenoid for a fraction of the price and see how it goes.

I'm aware of the battery issues but it still cranks so will live with it for now

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 07:48 AM   #41
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Ebay solenoids are a bit hit and miss. Go genuine or at the least, a pair off a donor car with low km.

The solenoids are identical and can be swapped to see if the fault migrates.

Suitable donors include N52 and N54 so there's heaps out there. I ended up buying a pair of genuine ones when i was in USA this year. Local prices are ridiculous and Repco prices for Dormans have shot up since I returned a pair that my motor couldn't make friends with.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 12:05 AM   #42
NinjaDog
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

That's a good idea I will check out some BMW wreckers and see what they cost.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 08:55 PM   #43
NinjaDog
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

I've decided to sell the Wilwood's as pad and rotor selection is extremely limited in Australia.

Just bought a full set of 335i brakes instead. I'm confident that the front brakes will be an improvement but is it worth changing out the rears?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 10:54 PM   #44
NinjaDog
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

New brakes!

Appreciate 0