BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #1
unk045
New Member
0
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

External Power Source During Programming

Gentlemen,

I'm trying to minimize voltage fluctuation while programming the car to avoid any issues.

Would connecting my car with jumper cables to another car help with this? What should the voltage be around? Should I do it from the front or the back if that matters?

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
The Wind Breezes's Avatar
753
Rep
1,775
Posts

Drives: 135i N55 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

You're not trying to minimize "fluctuation" you're trying not to run out of juice. It won't happen unless your battery is old and weak. But, just in case, you can hook up those cables front or back or hook the car to a charger. Voltage can vary widely depending on how many accessories you have turned on sagging the output and whether the other car is running / how long the charger has been running.

In short stop thinking and start doing.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 02:12 PM   #3
unk045
New Member
0
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
You're not trying to minimize "fluctuation" you're trying not to run out of juice. It won't happen unless your battery is old and weak. But, just in case, you can hook up those cables front or back or hook the car to a charger. Voltage can vary widely depending on how many accessories you have turned on sagging the output and whether the other car is running / how long the charger has been running.

In short stop thinking and start doing.
Well my FRM got fried (which has since been fixed) and I'm suspecting it was because of voltage fluctuation. I could see the voltage playing around between 12.2V to 12.6V and it could've may be even gone lower. I know when the DME on my e46 was updated, he did it while having it connected to another battery and he cited voltage play..but maybe it was to avoid draining the battery to in essence.

Would connecting it to another car avoid frying it again?

Last edited by unk045; 05-08-2019 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #4
Soterios
BXR
323
Rep
437
Posts

Drives: 2012 135i
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk045 View Post
Well my FRM got fried (which has since been fixed) and I'm suspecting it was because of voltage fluctuation. I could see the voltage playing around between 12.2V to 12.6V and it could've may be even gone lower. I know when the DME on my e46 was updated, he did it while having it connected to another battery and he cited voltage play..but maybe it was to avoid draining the battery to in essence.

Would connecting it to another car avoid frying it again?
Your cars electrical system (At the main level) is not concerned with that small of a change in voltage. That's not what fried it. He may have just been refering to a drop off when the battery was running out of energy.

Spend $40 on a battery tender. It's worth it for peace of mind if you're worried.
__________________
2012 135i M Sport Alpine White
Typical Boring Build
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
unk045
New Member
0
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Well my concern more so is frying the module again and I thought the voltage drop may have done that. I did the programming with Carly.

Is there any way to avoid or reduce the risk of it frying?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 03:14 PM   #6
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
The Wind Breezes's Avatar
753
Rep
1,775
Posts

Drives: 135i N55 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk045 View Post
Well my concern more so is frying the module again and I thought the voltage drop may have done that. I did the programming with Carly.

Is there any way to avoid or reduce the risk of it frying?
The only way you will fry that module is if voltage sags REALLY low during a failed jumpstart or attempt to start on bad battery. We're talking 6-8 volts. You will not fry the thing during a flash unless your battery has shit the bed.

Turn of all accessories (lights, AC fan) and a good battery will easily make it through a full write of ecu with no assistance. Which, of course you can add if necessary. A good battery won't go under 11 volts during your flash.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 03:28 PM   #7
unk045
New Member
0
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Hmm thanks guys. I believe the lights were off, AC was definitely off but the radio was on and I'll definitely ensure to have everything off before I do it this time. This may be speculation to some extent but any idea what fried it?

I've read some stuff about Carly doing it, but I'm still confused about what really about Carly does it. The funny thing is I spent about an hour at least playing with Carly and my car on Friday and everything was fine and when I just went to turn off 2 features on Monday, the FRM fried.

Last edited by unk045; 05-08-2019 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST