BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-07-2019, 05:11 PM   #1
unk045
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

3SI Questions

Hey guys I have a couple questions related to my 3SI upgrade that I'm working on:

1) Outside of the DISA valves on the new intake, should I consider doing any other maintenance while I'm doing this pain in the rear job of removing and replacing the intake?

2) Who should I go with for my ECU tune and why?

3) I'm in CA and I need to do smog checks here. Doing the intake and ECU update won't adversely affect my smog check right?

Thank you all for your comments in advance!

Last edited by unk045; 07-07-2019 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 08:56 PM   #2
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
What is a 3SI?
      07-08-2019, 03:19 AM   #3
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Was this originally a California/SULEV car? If so, it already has the N51 motor with the 3 stage intake. If not, I doubt adding the intake to an N52 will cause smog issues. I am sure you're not the first to do this. Search here and E90Post to see what others' experience with CA emissions has been.

I took mine off recently to check for play in the DISA valves. I replaced the intake manifold gaskets, the throttle body gasket, and the crankcase breather hose. The breather hose is brittle and tends to break so it is good to have a replacement ready before tearing out the intake.

Bimmer Performance Center (BPC) generally is regarded as the best off the shelf tune.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8208.00
      07-08-2019, 11:27 AM   #4
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

[QUOTE=rowsdower;25001440]Was this originally a California/SULEV car? If so, it already has the N51 motor with the 3 stage intake. If not, I doubt adding the intake to an N52 will cause smog issues. I am sure you're not the first to do this. Search here and E90Post to see what others' experience with CA emissions has been.

I took mine off recently to check for play in the DISA valves. I replaced the intake manifold gaskets, the throttle body gasket, and the crankcase breather hose. The breather hose is brittle and tends to break so it is good to have a replacement ready before tearing out the intake.

Bimmer Performance Center (BPC) generally is regarded as the best off the shelf tune.[/QUOTE]

They are no longer in the tuning business.

OP....check my sig for recommendations.

Everything rowsdower mentioned is what I did and would do. I went ahead and replaced my DISA's with ones from FCP as they have a lifetime warranty.
      07-08-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
unk045
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
What is a 3SI?
I assume you figured this out by now, but three stage intake colonel sir I'm not one for abbreviations btw so I probably should've spelt this out first lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
Was this originally a California/SULEV car? If so, it already has the N51 motor with the 3 stage intake. If not, I doubt adding the intake to an N52 will cause smog issues. I am sure you're not the first to do this. Search here and E90Post to see what others' experience with CA emissions has been.

Bimmer Performance Center (BPC) generally is regarded as the best off the shelf tune.
Thanks rowsdower. My 128 has a N52 so it's a non SULEV. On a side note, I didn't know the N51 already has a 3SI. Yes, I planned on doing the intake gaskets, but not the throttle body. I did grab an extra breather hose on my way out of the junkyard so I do have a spare just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post

Bimmer Performance Center (BPC) generally is regarded as the best off the shelf tune.[/QUOTE]

They are no longer in the tuning business.

OP....check my sig for recommendations.

Everything rowsdower mentioned is what I did and would do. I went ahead and replaced my DISA's with ones from FCP as they have a lifetime warranty.
Thanks Rmtt. I did a quick read of your post and noticed you did the BPC tune. I checked their site yesterday and didn't see anything for the e82 https://bimmerperformancecenter.com/...rsports-tuning

Is this the tune you're referring to? http://stagefp.com/product/sfp-n51-n52-tune/

What do you think about the Turner tune? Looks like I can squeeze out 30hp with this and it be cheaper https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3.../?pdk=CQQAAAAD
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 03:46 PM   #6
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

That's the one. Bob is still the one tuning. The Turner one is an AA tune if I'm not mistaken. From all the research I've done, Bob is still the best for an off the shelf tune.

Plus going with them, you have the options of adding MILVS later as only they can tune for that upgrade.

I don't believe AA offers a MILVS tune, so you could be potentially cheating yourself later if you decide to take your build further.

From what I've read, MILVS add almost as much as headers, and most of it is down in the lower RPM range where you want it.

I'm extremely happy with my tune. It pulls cleanly to 7K RPM with no discernible dips or fluctuations anywhere. It's a blast to drive!
      07-08-2019, 04:57 PM   #7
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
I really doubt any one from a smog station will spot the 3IM from the single. They are both BMW parts and they look identical.

The tune is also near invisible. Unless the inspector is actually looking at the CVN number against a database, it's not going to be spotted.

The CVN number being a number that defines a legitimate OEM file. They actually tied the CVN number to the dataset checksum so a tune will have a different value. There is a way to defeat the CVN check but non one has needed it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 08:48 PM   #8
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Uh - I'm sorry to hijack this thread....but why did BPC get out of the tuning business?!?! Did Bob move on to his own shop? Sorry, I'm totally out of the loop here..

Sucks as I finally bought a used 3SI, tested the DISA valves (they are good), and was looking forward to upgrading my Stage 1 BPC tune to a 3SI off the shelf tune as part of their "free upgrade" path. I guess that's not happening anymore...?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #9
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Uh - I'm sorry to hijack this thread....but why did BPC get out of the tuning business?!?! Did Bob move on to his own shop? Sorry, I'm totally out of the loop here..

Sucks as I finally bought a used 3SI, tested the DISA valves (they are good), and was looking forward to upgrading my Stage 1 BPC tune to a 3SI off the shelf tune as part of their "free upgrade" path. I guess that's not happening anymore...?

Check my sig for Bob's new shop.
E90SRB9.50