BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-19-2019, 08:40 PM   #1
Erik-AA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s rex

Stock 128i for mild track day? Bad idea?

Short version:
How would a stock high miles 128i fare at a low pressure track day event? Is this a good idea, or am I likely to blow up my really nice daily driver?

Long version:
I've done track days in cars and on bikes, but they were mostly many years ago. I did a track day in a borrowed car last weekend and it was totally fun. I noticed that our low tech lightweight car (Lotus 7-ish) was trouble free while a lot of new high tech cars had troubles, some quite expensive.

So I'm totally geeked and excited about this day, I come home and tell my girlfriend about it, and now she wants to do it too. She's the adventurous kind, she owned a 2002tii back in the day, she rides motorcycles, she has a clue. She's never done a track day.

But I don't think the 7 is the right car for her, even if my friend the car owner would go for it. Driving that car is so physical, so loud, so tiring, so unfamiliar... It's a fantastic track car but frankly I found it very challenging and I think it would be way too much for a track newbie.

So what about my 2010 128i? She's driven it a lot on the street, it's familiar and comfortable... why not? It's in great condition with 150k miles on the clock, it has wider wheels, performance tires and Koni struts, otherwise it's well maintained and stone stock. Turn the DTC to low or off and go for it... why not? Or am I crazy? Is this a recipe for disaster? What would you do?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 09:28 AM   #2
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

it's a very good car to start with, but answer one important question, is it a manual or automatic?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 03:42 PM   #3
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Stock 128's are perfectly fun at the track. Turn DTC all the way off, otherwise you will burn through rear brake pads quicker than you can believe, and enjoy the drive.

Edit: Regarding high mileage, I tracked mine regularly and I'm rapidly approaching 200k miles. 95 degrees outside and I've never had limp mode at the track.

These cars are very safe starter cars. Built-in understeer, while annoying to experienced drivers, is safe for newbies. With mods it can be pretty much totally eliminated; my car's now quite twitchy and exciting to drive with some average suspension work.
      09-26-2019, 06:00 PM   #4
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Track criteria considered it's definitely not a good car stock. Are you kidding? No LSD and you may find all the various soft road bits in the suspension extremely loose when driving hard. Not to mention the slippery slope with brakes, tires, wheels, etc.

If you modify the car significantly then it could be fun. But stock, if you have experience on track before, you will be extremely disappointed. There are other cars that are track competent for a lot less money.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 07:35 AM   #5
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Track criteria considered it's definitely not a good car stock. Are you kidding? No LSD and you may find all the various soft road bits in the suspension extremely loose when driving hard. Not to mention the slippery slope with brakes, tires, wheels, etc.

If you modify the car significantly then it could be fun. But stock, if you have experience on track before, you will be extremely disappointed. There are other cars that are track competent for a lot less money.
I agree, for someone experienced, but for his girlfriend who's never done a track day, it's great. She'll probably be overwhelmed with the sensory input + having an instructor in the passenger seat, she's not going to be pushing for the lap times just out there to try it out and see if she's into it.

I'd definitely turn the DSC down at first, you don't need the car cutting power in the middle of a corner or something, and as she get's more comfortable maybe turn it off all the way.

Just make sure the brake fluid is fresh and the pads have some thickness to them. Sounds like it's good to go.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2019, 08:54 AM   #6
amg6975
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 M1.5, '05 ZHP, '98 M3/4/5

Quote:

Do you even read threads or just jump in to poopoo people? A stock 128 is perfectly adequate for a first timer to jump in to get some laps under their belt. OP already owns the car and was just asking if it would reasonable for his GF to take it out and get some seat time.

The correct answer for OP is yes, the car will be perfectly fine and your GF will have an absolute blast. Change the brake fluid and keep an eye on the pads but other than that, let it rip.

EDIT: As first hand experience, my wife was in the same situation, I kept coming home all fired up about the track and she just had to give it a try. We went and bought a $3k 116HP MINI, did some maintenance and threw some RE71's on and away she went. She's graduated upwards in cars now and can run rings around most of the guys but the MINI was a great place to start, just as your 128 would be.
Appreciate 7
Suprgnat2315.50
chris82827.00
SCato13.50
lab_rat394.50
Blau365.50
jcolley377.50
      09-27-2019, 09:48 AM   #7
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

OP has not said if it's an automatic, they need more cooling for even beginners.

I had a student with a 370z last weekend he was slow, first time on track and even at that speed we only had 1 good session per day, 4 laps into 2nd session the shifts become lazy followed by limp mode
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 01:05 PM   #8
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
no problem for this car, it'll be fine in regards to braking, cooling, etc. Obv a good idea to put some good tires on and get some RBF and race pads, but the car will do just fine stock.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 01:13 PM   #9
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:

Are YOU kidding? Did you even read the thread? He's got wider wheels & performance tires + koni struts. He's also not talking about buying a new track car, or asking for suggestions on a dedicated track car to buy, he's talking about tracking the 128i he currently owns and if it's a good idea for his GF to use this car. Maybe read the thread before posting.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2023, 09:28 PM   #10
Erik-AA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s rex

Old thread here but circling back.
Yes it's a manual. Of course. :-)
OK, thanks for the info, I am reassured about letting my girlfriend use it as a first track outing. It's well maintained, fluids are fresh, I could throw better front pads in it.

And I hear you that a stone stock 128i may not be the optimum track car in the world. But we're not that addicted yet, a safe place to start is fine.

And the other update is that we have not taken it to the track yet, 3.5 years after I asked the question. Pandemic and other life stuff has interfered with this particular kind of fun. We may yet do it, I'm still daily driving the 128i. And my son had his classic new-driver wreck in it, in the snow, so the car is a bit beat up but fully functional which might make it even better as a track car. Hmm, season is starting...
Appreciate 2
      05-22-2023, 04:20 PM   #11
cerealwars
Riffraff
Rep
Drives: 128i 6M, 1UZ S13, '62 C10

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Sounds like your car is ripe for some track use!

I did my first track day two weeks ago in my 128. Lots of understeer as promised above, but also lots of fun! Especially for more novice drivers, it's more worthwhile and rewarding to learn how to drive on track than it is to make a bunch of modifications. It's a pretty safe car as well, just in case anything does go wrong.
Appreciate 0