BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-06-2020, 06:51 PM   #23
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPuehl View Post
Yeah I understand. I have the poly Whiteline bushings but was sit getting wheel hop from a dig start, at least on the street. The diff brace is supposed to correct that but I'm a little skeptical about that. Thanks for the response.
Are those the inserts or the replacement bushings? I have the white line replacement bushings and I dont get any wheel hop. But I dont launch very often. From a slow roll no wheel hop.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 08:40 PM   #24
Hybrid G
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

Time for another vid....getting old here bud
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 10:47 PM   #25
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Are those the inserts or the replacement bushings? I have the white line replacement bushings and I dont get any wheel hop. But I dont launch very often. From a slow roll no wheel hop.
Originally I had the inserts but switched to the solid poly bushings for the RSF and diff, and still get a bit of wheel hop. The issue may be my street tires which are a DWS so a hard compound. Friday evening I had my DCT flywheel swapped for a lighter M4 flywheel and got some dry weather to test it today. The engine definitely revs quicker and I was getting wheel hop when the tires spun mid way thru 2nd gear. I only dig launch from a stop light or at a dig drag race.

I might setup my go-pro under the back of the car to record the diff and suspension during a launch and hard acceleration to see how if looks. Thanks for you response!

1Mpostr

Last edited by JPuehl; 03-10-2020 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 06:11 AM   #26
Skotcoop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid G View Post
Time for another vid....getting old here bud
He's busy with his new M3 haha.
      03-23-2020, 01:43 PM   #27
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful View Post
Honestly I did so many rear suspension mods at the same time, I couldn't tell you if the diff brace made a different or not. Hopefully you can understand
Hey Jake, have you done any "testing" with the new diff bushings? I have the Whiteline poly diff bushings, as well as the RSF bushings, and am trying to figure out a wheel hop issue. I mounted my GoPro under my car to watch for diff movement and can see a lot of movement of the front of the diff during hard acceleration. I also put the camera on the body above the rear drivers side wheel recording toe movement as I have the OEM toe arms, and didn't see any toe movement. I don't see how a diff brace would "lock" the movement of the front of the diff when attached to the rear of the diff. I'm just wondering if you've checked for movement after your RSF rebuild?

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 10:25 PM   #28
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Hey Jake, have you done any "testing" with the new diff bushings? I have the Whiteline poly diff bushings, as well as the RSF bushings, and am trying to figure out a wheel hop issue. I mounted my GoPro under my car to watch for diff movement and can see a lot of movement of the front of the diff during hard acceleration. I also put the camera on the body above the rear drivers side wheel recording toe movement as I have the OEM toe arms, and didn't see any toe movement. I don't see how a diff brace would "lock" the movement of the front of the diff when attached to the rear of the diff. I'm just wondering if you've checked for movement after your RSF rebuild?

Keep in mind the engine/trans/propshaft/diff are all one piece far as movement is concerned. The only slip joint is the center support and if correct it should be able to extend and not compress much.
So if the engine mounts and trans mounts are mush, that can push the diff around also.
But on solid mounts you shouldn't see any movement of the diff.
Was the camera mounted to the subframe or the body? Are you sure you weren't seeing the subframe moving?

Toss that vid up on youtube. I'd love to see it.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 10:12 AM   #29
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Keep in mind the engine/trans/propshaft/diff are all one piece far as movement is concerned. The only slip joint is the center support and if correct it should be able to extend and not compress much.
So if the engine mounts and trans mounts are mush, that can push the diff around also.
But on solid mounts you shouldn't see any movement of the diff.
Was the camera mounted to the subframe or the body? Are you sure you weren't seeing the subframe moving?

Toss that vid up on youtube. I'd love to see it.
I wouldn't agree with everything being "all one piece" as the propshaft is 2 pieces to allow for independent movement of the diff and motor/trans as they move differently. The GroPro was mounted on the strut attached from the RSF to the chassis on the passenger side. You can clearly see the front of the diff pivot upwards. The RSF and diff have the WhiteLine poly bushings and the motor mounts are the 043 solid rubber mounts, however the trans mounts are still the OEM mounts. Below is a pic of the camera mounted.

Here's a link to the video. The more I watch the video and focus on different areas around the diff and RSF the more it looks like the RSF is also moving a little as well.
Attached Images

1Mpostr
Appreciate 1
iminhell13907.00
      03-24-2020, 11:05 AM   #30
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

Looks like everything (diff and subframe) is moving independently and together. However, not a lot of deflection. Are you thinking solid alum mounts now?
      03-24-2020, 12:14 PM   #31
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwillb View Post
Looks like everything (diff and subframe) is moving independently and together. However, not a lot of deflection. Are you thinking solid alum mounts now?
I agree on both the RSF and diff moving. I'm thinking about going with the solid RSF bushings that Jake used but also going with the aluminum diff bushings as I don't think the poly bushings and diff lock down is the correct solution as the front of the diff moves a lot and don't won't to put that stress on the 2 diff cover bolt holes the diff brace uses. I'd be interested in seeing a similar video of what Jake's RSF and diff looks like under acceleration and braking.

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 12:18 PM   #32
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
I can see the diff moving. But to me the subframe is not. It looks like it moves, but to me it is moving with the car. As the suspension compresses the body of the car moves down, and thus the subframe moves down with the car. I only watched the video 15 times though and I am sure you have watched it more.

Did you upload the video from the fender as well?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #33
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
I can see the diff moving. But to me the subframe is not. It looks like it moves, but to me it is moving with the car. As the suspension compresses the body of the car moves down, and thus the subframe moves down with the car. I only watched the video 15 times though and I am sure you have watched it more.

Did you upload the video from the fender as well?
OP, I'm NOT trying to highjack your thread so I hope you don't mind the discussion?

I just uploaded the video from outside of the car, didn't think about that earlier.

The reason I think the RSF is moving is in this video I'm focusing on the shiny part of the cross-member by the muffler in relationship to the black plastic "box" that appears above the muffler in the video. I did put a bunch of post-it notes on my display lined up with the diff, RSF and the chassis to watch parts move, lol. Since I'm working from home I'm using a 42" TV as my computer display and the details look pretty good.

Under car video #2

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 02:16 PM   #34
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

I was just covering the road with my hand and focusing on the diff

i'm poor

But ya. It's moving for sure. But not as much as the stock floppy bushings,,, I'd seen a video of it once and shit if I can find it now.
But the little yours moves, I wouldn't be concerned at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 02:23 PM   #35
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I was just covering the road with my hand and focusing on the diff

i'm poor

But ya. It's moving for sure. But not as much as the stock floppy bushings,,, I'd seen a video of it once and shit if I can find it now.
But the little yours moves, I wouldn't be concerned at all.
LOL no post-it notes = poor (jk)

I'm not so much concerned about the movement as I am trying to eliminate the wheel hop. Was just wondering what the movement of the diff looked like. It's also possible I have my "street" setting on the Koni shocks too soft, allowing the hop.

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 03:30 PM   #36
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

I think the fisheye of the camera is skewing things but, what is rear toe at?
Generally speaking, as you stiffen the bushings you want to come closer to zero. Part of the reason you go negative on stock stuff is to compensate for the deflection.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:57 PM   #37
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think the fisheye of the camera is skewing things but, what is rear toe at?
Generally speaking, as you stiffen the bushings you want to come closer to zero. Part of the reason you go negative on stock stuff is to compensate for the deflection.
I have a little toe in, which is what people normally do for an auto-cross setup. I also about 2* negative camber for the same reason.

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 01:22 PM   #38
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

Quote:
I agree on both the RSF and diff moving. I'm thinking about going with the solid RSF bushings that Jake used but also going with the aluminum diff bushings as I don't think the poly bushings and diff lock down is the correct solution as the front of the diff moves a lot and don't won't to put that stress on the 2 diff cover bolt holes the diff brace uses. I'd be interested in seeing a similar video of what Jake's RSF and diff looks like under acceleration and braking.
Once I take the car out for the summer I'd like to get some video. After all of these rear suspension mods, I still got wheel hop during launches from a dig. I'm guessing the poly diff bushings aren't solid enough like you mentioned. I also don't think the shocks/springs I have are helping. I'd like to find a dedicated drag-oriented coilover setup for my car.

I don't mind this discussion at all
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Appreciate 0