BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-06-2020, 08:05 PM   #1
Joelkswagen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 135i FBO

Need fueling suggestions for PS2

Hey guys, I recently upgraded to Pure Stage 2 on my 2008 N54 135i and the bigger turbos have created new bottlenecks on tuning, primarily with fueling. Now when I run Jb4 + BEF map 2 at 17 PSI on 92 pump gas I am already running into timing issues, which I have identified as octane deficiency; adding a few gallons of E85 to the tank cleans up the logs.

I only plan to turn the boost up on these turbos enough to max out a 335is clutch and new OEM Dual Mass Flywheel (I hate the idea of the chatter associated with popular SMFW setups, but maybe someone should convince me otherwise). I have the clutch, but have not installed yet, currently I am stock which is starting to slip in 4th. I hear the 335is + DMFW would mean around 550whp/tq max before I run into slippage and potential false misfire. Pretty sure this would only be 21-23 PSI on the PS2 Turbos.

Greatest hurdle I would say is that E85 is not easily accessible, so I don't love the idea of tuning for this. It would be much easier for me to just install a water-methanol kit.

I guess my main question is, would a WMI kit help me safely reach my power goal, or is this a bad idea? I hear all the time not to supplement fueling with WMI, but I hear with JB4 there are more safety mechanisms you can put in place.

If WMI would be a good bet, what would be a good kit to get for my application?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 03:39 AM   #2
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Since you're already running JB4, might as well go with their kit. Their customer service is great and if you go to N54 tech, which is the forums they run, you'll get plenty of help and advice from the guys there.

Get the dual nozzle, it'll help distribute the meth evenly between the cylinders.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 07:04 AM   #3
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

I agree with using the BMS kit with the JB4.
The integration is great.
I run a DKM twin disc organic kit and I am still in the stages of tuning. According to MHD logs I am at 500ftlbs at the flywheel right now and I have no issues. I do have my Idle RPM turned up to 1,000 and there is a slight vibration when engaging from a stop, but other than that the drive ability has been fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 12:26 PM   #4
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelkswagen View Post
Hey guys, I recently upgraded to Pure Stage 2 on my 2008 N54 135i and the bigger turbos have created new bottlenecks on tuning, primarily with fueling. Now when I run Jb4 + BEF map 2 at 17 PSI on 92 pump gas I am already running into timing issues, which I have identified as octane deficiency; adding a few gallons of E85 to the tank cleans up the logs.

I only plan to turn the boost up on these turbos enough to max out a 335is clutch and new OEM Dual Mass Flywheel (I hate the idea of the chatter associated with popular SMFW setups, but maybe someone should convince me otherwise). I have the clutch, but have not installed yet, currently I am stock which is starting to slip in 4th. I hear the 335is + DMFW would mean around 550whp/tq max before I run into slippage and potential false misfire. Pretty sure this would only be 21-23 PSI on the PS2 Turbos.

Greatest hurdle I would say is that E85 is not easily accessible, so I don't love the idea of tuning for this. It would be much easier for me to just install a water-methanol kit.

I guess my main question is, would a WMI kit help me safely reach my power goal, or is this a bad idea? I hear all the time not to supplement fueling with WMI, but I hear with JB4 there are more safety mechanisms you can put in place.

If WMI would be a good bet, what would be a good kit to get for my application?
You need to use a PI system for WMI as octane or you'll get uneven distribution and run lean on at least one cylinder which will eventually cause heat related failure of your block.

That said, if you just run it for cooling through the charge pipe it will accomplish your goals.

What FMIC do you have?

DMFW and 335is clutch will start slipping at 500+ and won't last long. You will want to upgrade to a twin disk if you want a reliable setup. I have an Xclutch organic twin going in soon.
      03-14-2020, 01:55 PM   #5
Joelkswagen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 135i FBO

Ok thanks for the details. Sounds like its going to be best to just tune for E85 for my goals. I want to be able to switch between map 6 for E85 when I have it, and map 2 when I don’t. I have plenty of cooling, so I don’t need WMi for that. 7in vrsf intercool, and I live in the PNW.

I want to run higher concentrations of E85 than 30% while having the tune auto adjust, and have been trying to find information about Jb4 flex fuel setups, but honestly I can’t find anything that serves as a good starting point for what hardware I need (where do I even buy the flex fuel wires for n54 JB4 integration) and how to tune for this. Any direction on this would be amazing.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 02:14 PM   #6
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelkswagen View Post
Ok thanks for the details. Sounds like its going to be best to just tune for E85 for my goals. I want to be able to switch between map 6 for E85 when I have it, and map 2 when I don’t. I have plenty of cooling, so I don’t need WMi for that. 7in vrsf intercool, and I live in the PNW.

I want to run higher concentrations of E85 than 30% while having the tune auto adjust, and have been trying to find information about Jb4 flex fuel setups, but honestly I can’t find anything that serves as a good starting point for what hardware I need (where do I even buy the flex fuel wires for n54 JB4 integration) and how to tune for this. Any direction on this would be amazing.
I regularly ran E50-70 with a standard JB4 G5 ISO. You need to use the hybrid turbo backend flashes provided by BMS and flash them with MHD. I believe the JB4 options to allow DME control for fueling (aka, BEF use) is 4/2.

What LPFP do you have and is your HPFP healthy?
      03-16-2020, 10:19 AM   #7
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i N55 DCT

Houtan turned me onto BOOSTane octane booster after I completed my PS2 upgrade which I'm really liking. You can order it on Amazon so it's easy to get. I run the equivalent to 98 octane and make sure I bring the required about with me whenever I fill up. I also have the JB4 + BEF and currently run 16 - 17 psi with good timing. I'm working on bumping it up to 18 psi and higher depending on how timing looks. At this point I don't want to run WMI as that's 1 more thing to "worry" about.

1Mpostr

Last edited by JPuehl; 03-17-2020 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0