BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-13-2020, 03:19 PM   #1
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

BMWP Brakes and ProTool coding

I installed my BMWP brakes this weekend. You can read more about them here: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1782932

I thought I would post here about my experience with ProTool and re-coding the brakes. Naturally I went in to ProTool without doing proper research because I thought it would be intuitive enough to figure out. It was not.

So ProTool has the same basic menu tree as INPA and you can set various parameters. This is in the pro-coding section. There is also a simpler menu of pre-programmed choices. The popular items are things like turning off various DSC nannies. The problem with the performance brake option is that it's not very popular so there was no option for it.

Since the BMWP brakes affect more than one parameter, this could have been very difficult. Let's say you go into the coding menu and find a setting for rear brake pressure. You have 6 different settings, Option 1-5 and option 6 is enter your own value. That really does you no good because you don't know what those optional values are. Option 3 could be apply 3 psi more brake pressure to the rear brakes, but there's nothing to tell you that. I started to worry...

By chance, I happened upon the tools menu in the chassis section. I found a tool that reads your basic vehicle setup from the factory. There are about 100 different options and your vehicle has check boxes for things like Sunroof, Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Mini-Disc player, etc. Lo and behold there was an option: Reinforced Brakes. When you activate Reinforced Brakes, it automatically re-codes the parameters in the Chassis and FRM sections for you. This is good because I never would have found all the individual parameters. Whew!

I noticed that re-coding for brakes reset all the nannies I had already deactivated so I had to go re-code those again. Unfortunately it's cold and rainy here so I'm not going out to test everything, but I'm hoping the brakes feel more natural now. I'll post an update after they're properly bedded and I can test them at their full potential.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      12-15-2020, 09:09 AM   #2
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep

After bedding the brakes and driving around for a bit I can definitely tell a difference without the nannies on. It's very noticeable in fact. It requires a lot more force to brake now and my first impression is that I've lost braking performance. A great analogy would be the throttle trickery they use on some cars to make them seem more powerful by applying 30% electronic throttle when your foot barely applies 10% through the pedal. It's a false sense of confidence. The benefit now is a truly linear feel through the pedal. When you really get on the brakes you can feel much more stopping power. I would guess that one of the parameters reset in the VO by activating Reinforced Brakes is a recalibration of the ABS along with the bias.

It may take a week for me to recalibrate my brain to accept the new pedal feel, but in the long run I'm sure I will enjoy it much more. The nannies are probably good for some, but I think any confidence they instill is artificial.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 2
asbrr543.00
b1aze565.50
      12-23-2020, 02:24 PM   #3
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Any update in this? I did the Reinforced Brakes coding but left the nannies
      12-23-2020, 02:36 PM   #4
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep

I only drive my 1er about 2 days a week so I still haven't quite adjusted to the new brake force required. I think I will appreciate it in the long term. It definitely feels more linear, which I like. I'm happiest to get rid of the crappy old pads which were constantly leaving deposits and causing shudder. These probably won't heat up enough in street driving to leave any deposits. Just for kicks I might recode all the nannies back on to see what a difference it makes. I know it's substantial.

On a side note, my entire parking brake mechanism on both rears was so gummed up with dust and debris that the springs barely worked. After cleaning them and hitting them with compressed air, they finally work again. It amazing how good it feels to have normal parking brakes again. The handle is much easier to pull and they hold better.

Appreciate 2
b1aze565.50
asbrr543.00
      02-14-2021, 07:58 AM   #5
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

What exactly is the BMWP brakes? Have never heard of a real upgrade option from BMW.

Edit: ah, just noticed you have a 128, so it is the standard 135i brakes that were installed.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 07:43 PM   #6
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
What exactly is the BMWP brakes? Have never heard of a real upgrade option from BMW.

Edit: ah, just noticed you have a 128, so it is the standard 135i brakes that were installed.
Yes - except for the rear where we have to make do with a 328i caliper (42mm piston vs 40mm which is stock 128i). Bit of a weird setup but I suppose it was deemed OK as an upgrade for the slower 128i...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 08:17 PM   #7
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Yes - except for the rear where we have to make do with a 328i caliper
Never give up. Never surrender.
asbrr543.00
lab_rat394.50
      02-14-2021, 09:55 PM   #8
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Never give up. Never surrender.
authuser=0[/IMG]

Your car is something else, I think you've scratched almost every OCD itch I've ever had about the E82
Appreciate 1
Suprgnat2317.00
      02-14-2021, 11:14 PM   #9
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Never give up. Never surrender. ]
I have thought about doing a rear hub upgrade, but I'm just not sufficiently inclined yet. Sometime this fall I plan to drop the entire rear subframe and replace all the bushings. I'll decide at that time if it's worth the extra effort. Ordinarily the rear brakes aren't worth the upgrade, but if you leave the E-Diff active, they get more of a workout than standard rear brakes.

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 08:02 PM   #10
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
I have thought about doing a rear hub upgrade, but I'm just not sufficiently inclined yet. Sometime this fall I plan to drop the entire rear subframe and replace all the bushings. I'll decide at that time if it's worth the extra effort. Ordinarily the rear brakes aren't worth the upgrade, but if you leave the E-Diff active, they get more of a workout than standard rear brakes.
I would have done the hub swap even without the fancy brakes. Better wheel/tire fitment, wider selection of braking components if not going for the BMWP calipers in the rear, and I feel E82's extra 20mm of rear track width contributed to understeer in my square setup.
      03-06-2021, 09:34 AM   #11
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Hi guys.. Coukd someone talk me thru the steps to find the coding for the brakes.. Sorry but i am struggling..
Darren
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 02:53 AM   #12
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy619 View Post
Hi guys.. Coukd someone talk me thru the steps to find the coding for the brakes.. Sorry but i am struggling..
Darren
Are you using ProTool? If so I assume that you've already unlocked the coding feature. Go to the main menu of ProTool and then select the Vehicle menu. Once you get there, click on Vehicle Order. This is where you will change how the entire computer system sees your vehicle. Since braking effects a couple different menus, it's essential that you do it here under Vehicle Order so that you don't miss a parameter somewhere. There is an option for Reinforced Brakes. Click on it and select that you have them and then save. This basically tells the computer that you car came with the upgraded M-Performance big brake kit from the factory.

Be very careful messing around in Vehicle Order because the wrong change could cause massive problems. Now that the computer thinks you have upgraded brakes, get out of this menu and you can code out the other brakes nannies. I think they were under safety, but I can't remember for sure. The nannies are one of the popular edits so you'll see them pop up at the top of whichever menu it was.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 07:22 AM   #13
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Many thanks.. Yes i have used orotool to get rid of the nannies.. I understand that i will need to recode them after the brakes part
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 10:46 AM   #14
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Are you using ProTool? If so I assume that you've already unlocked the coding feature. Go to the main menu of ProTool and then select the Vehicle menu. Once you get there, click on Vehicle Order. This is where you will change how the entire computer system sees your vehicle. Since braking effects a couple different menus, it's essential that you do it here under Vehicle Order so that you don't miss a parameter somewhere. There is an option for Reinforced Brakes. Click on it and select that you have them and then save. This basically tells the computer that you car came with the upgraded M-Performance big brake kit from the factory.

Be very careful messing around in Vehicle Order because the wrong change could cause massive problems. Now that the computer thinks you have upgraded brakes, get out of this menu and you can code out the other brakes nannies. I think they were under safety, but I can't remember for sure. The nannies are one of the popular edits so you'll see them pop up at the top of whichever menu it was.
What exactly does saying you have reinforced brakes do? What does the car change when this is enabled? Would this be for any brake upgrade? Getting the 335i/328i brake upgrade done to my 128i tomorrow, perhaps I should tell the shop to enable this option?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 10:35 AM   #15
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
What exactly does saying you have reinforced brakes do? What does the car change when this is enabled? Would this be for any brake upgrade? Getting the 335i/328i brake upgrade done to my 128i tomorrow, perhaps I should tell the shop to enable this option?
Good question. I'm not entirely sure. I'm sure it changes the ABS parameters and maybe brake biasing, if that's controlled electronically. It may also affect settings for the E-diff and ASC. I don't see how it would work for anything other than the OEM big brake kit. It might be close, it might not. You would likely need to set your parameters individually and I have no idea what values you would use.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 01:14 PM   #16
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
Good question. I'm not entirely sure. I'm sure it changes the ABS parameters and maybe brake biasing, if that's controlled electronically. It may also affect settings for the E-diff and ASC. I don't see how it would work for anything other than the OEM big brake kit. It might be close, it might not. You would likely need to set your parameters individually and I have no idea what values you would use.
Those are my thoughts as well, everything seems to be speculation about this option, and its only available on cars where the BMW BBK was available so I get the feeling it only works for the full BMW BBK as well. Otherwise, how could this option just somehow set the right parameters for all other BBK kits like wilwood, stoptech, front upgrades only, 335i upgrade, etc.? So odd…
Appreciate 0