BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #67
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Totally understandable with all the extra hoops you and manufacturers have to jump-through for mods to be made legal there. The price you pay for having the Autobahn at your disposal
No no, you can legalize anything here in TÜV, as long as you have a certificate of proof, showing the materials used are at TÜV standards or exceeding them.

Example is the KW CS suspension does not come with TÜV approval, neither does the camber plates. However, KW supply a proof of materials testing and manufacturing, so one pays a bit more to "make" them legal.

My point towards the E82, is that no one locally knows or does much to them. No one locally heard of replacing the RSFB to M3 makes a difference for example, their replies were "we never heard of the rear end of the E8x series "moving" so much". This comes from top "known" people locally as well, which surprised me.

Basically, E36, E46, E9x cars from the 318 to 335 and M3s are the "hot cakes" and you can find practically anything from cams, to intakes, ITBs etc. Outside of this...software tune and get done with it.

Even the N54s, they give ita tune and be done, i have yet to find someone who actually replaces the turbos and tunes custom software to get (for example) 500+hp reliably from it.
Ah, okay.

Well, the 3-Series is BMW's bread and butter, it's the sport sedan that everyone goes to and gets hooked on, and the one that gets huge support because of it. That said, I'm surprised they don't know/realize that everything in the 1-Series is the same as the E9x.
      12-08-2018, 03:20 PM   #68
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

Quote:
Ah, okay.

Well, the 3-Series is BMW's bread and butter, it's the sport sedan that everyone goes to and gets hooked on, and the one that gets huge support because of it. That said, I'm surprised they don't know/realize that everything in the 1-Series is the same as the E9x.
They go RCN racing with them, and they replace pretty much all the bushings to poly or solids since "race car". Engines are not allowed to be tuned or tinkered with, not even adding oil coolers or such, that would bring the car up to unlimited class in RCN, which means you will be competing with much more powerful and lighter cars.

Engine tuning locally is...hard to come by. Except the M models, since there was a CSL version of the E46 for example, it is legal to install cams, headers, software etc from the CSL on a non CSL model, since it came from the factory on a production car (not a M performance upgrade for example).

So if you think about it, you are comparing a 218hp detuned N52B30 engine with a factory tuned 272hp N52B30 engine, hence why the E90 330i is favoured and more popular. There was a team racing the E87 120d in the VLN 24 hour race back in 2014 or so, they ended 7th place overall. But that is the only E8x 1 series i know that entered racing, hence why bmw started the M235i series, there was a demand for it and since the 2 series was already in production to replace the E82, they went down that route.

Even the wheels on the E82 locally, everyone is running 18x8 ET 40s with cup 2s, no one runs 17x8 or even 17x8.5s and run wider than 235/40s. You can even youtube this, and see how many E82/E87s 130 and 135s run the same setups, KW CS suspension and 18x8s 235s. It is sad, i hate changing cars and i really like the E82, but due to local support, i need to get my sources from the internet, parts sometimes from overseas (like wheels) and what not, it makes me wonder if i should continue or not honestly.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 04:54 PM   #69
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
I have a 135 but I also recommend the RSFB inserts or 2 piece. Also recommend putting a differential lockdown bracket on. I bought mine from a forum member. I think it was 135droptop

Those + M3 front arms & Ohlins suspension and it's a pretty big improvement
      12-20-2018, 04:46 PM   #70
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
I have a 135 but I also recommend the RSFB inserts or 2 piece. Also recommend putting a differential lockdown bracket on. I bought mine from a forum member. I think it was 135droptop

Those + M3 front arms & Ohlins suspension and it's a pretty big improvement
Once you do M3 arms, front sway, and quality coilovers the car is a handling beast!
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2018, 06:37 PM   #71
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
Found a neat thing about the N52: it makes power easily with FI. BPC, when they did their initial dyno runs with their now-dead turbo kit (RIP) project made 350whp with just 6 psi of boost (.4 bar) in an E90 328i. Last I saw, it was making a little over 500whp with a similarly puny amount of boost, and they were driving it on-track at VIR. A stronger N52 could be an absolute beast, keeping the stock heads and flow-y bits on it...
Just curious where you came across the info on a N52 making 500+ at the wheels let alone with only minuscule 6 lbs or thereabouts of boost. I'd love to read up on it. Those are some serious numbers and I'd like to know how they accomplished this feat and were able to keep the motor together while doing it.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 09:58 PM   #72
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post

Just curious where you came across the info on a N52 making 500+ at the wheels let alone with only minuscule 6 lbs or thereabouts of boost. I'd love to read up on it. Those are some serious numbers and I'd like to know how they accomplished this feat and were able to keep the motor together while doing it.
The boost number was around 12psi; I couldn't find where I originally read that, but here's BPC's own webpage with power output and details on what they did:
https://bimmerperformancecenter.com/pages/bpc-n52-turbo
      12-23-2018, 08:22 AM   #73
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The boost number was around 12psi; I couldn't find where I originally read that, but here's BPC's own webpage with power output and details on what they did:
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I'm skeptical of their claims. Do we know when this advertisement was penned? There have been more then a few attempts at using FI in the engine and its hard to find vehicles that are force fed and running on the streets, they're rarer then hens teeth and so many guys are chomping at the bit to boost them yet can't find reliable ways to get it done.

The car in the link shows some nice pics of the engine compartment and some stills on the track. They built a roll cage for the car so it obviously was built for track use yet we see little track vid or times, dyno printouts, 1/4 mile times or anything else.
N52 engine was produced for about about a decade and then production shutdown a few years ago. It's a great plant for what it was designed for( light weight, better fuel economy, and sporty) but wasn't built to handle too much additional power. There's no way a cast I6 crank, magnesium block engine can handle 500whp or anything near that for any reasonable amount of time. I'll say the guys on this forum are leading the way on what's up with the platform yet I can't remember more then a scant hand few who have FI on their cars( with many ending badly)with a large percentage of N52 owners saying they want it.

My nephew has a N52 car and has been chasing his tail looking for a SC or turbo to bolt on his car and gets excited when new systems come forward but is always disappointed in the end, he's given up.

I guess it's only my opinion but after 10 years of engine production and more years of the engines being on the streets there still isn't a legitimate, feasible FI system for them that will make decent power above stock and have longevity. Many new engines have viable FI systems within a year or so of hitting the streets to bolt on gobs of hp. That's very telling.

Last edited by N54Yankee; 12-23-2018 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 12:26 PM   #74
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I'm skeptical of their claims. Do we know when this advertisement was penned? There have been more then a few attempts at using FI in the engine and its hard to find vehicles that are force fed and running on the streets, they're rarer then hens teeth and so many guys are chomping at the bit to boost them yet can't find reliable ways to get it done.

The car in the link shows some nice pics of the engine compartment and some stills on the track. They built a roll cage for the car so it obviously was built for track use yet we see little track vid or times, dyno printouts, 1/4 mile times or anything else.
N52 engine was produced for about about a decade and then production shutdown a few years ago. It's a great plant for what it was designed for( light weight, better fuel economy, and sporty) but wasn't built to handle too much additional power. There's no way a cast I6 crank, magnesium block engine can handle 500whp or anything near that for any reasonable amount of time. I'll say the guys on this forum are leading the way on what's up with the platform yet I can't remember more then a scant hand few who have FI on their cars( with many ending badly)with a large percentage of N52 owners saying they want it.

My nephew has a N52 car and has been chasing his tail looking for a SC or turbo to bolt on his car and gets excited when new systems come forward but is always disappointed in the end, he's given up.

I guess it's only my opinion but after 10 years of engine production and more years of the engines being on the streets there still isn't a legitimate, feasible FI system for them that will make decent power above stock and have longevity. Many new engines have viable FI systems within a year or so of hitting the streets to bolt on gobs of hp. That's very telling.
Go on YouTube, search "BPC N52 Turbo" and you'll see numerous dyno pulls, track days, and street drivability testing. It's a working, reliable thing, and wonderfully fast, too...

They scrapped street development for their kit, but they've made available what was done and how they did it, so it could be duplicated. ESS has a supercharger that makes good power and has been on the market for a while.
      12-23-2018, 02:35 PM   #75
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Go on YouTube, search "BPC N52 Turbo" and you'll see numerous dyno pulls, track days, and street drivability testing. It's a working, reliable thing, and wonderfully fast, too...

They scrapped street development for their kit, but they've made available what was done and how they did it, so it could be duplicated. ESS has a supercharger that makes good power and has been on the market for a while.
Reliable, how do we know that? The car was seen on the Dyno and the track a few times, that's all. It went from from being built to a killed project pretty darn quick. The n52 engine block wasn't built for anything close to that kind of power, not to mention the transmission or diff.
Saw one vid at VIR which shows no lap times and we don't know what kind of drivers are behind the wheel of the cars he's chasing. Really no substantial evidence, more salesmanship then anything.
ESS seems like a pretty good product but really doesn't deliver much after all the extra needed work is done and paid for it only produces marginal gains. It's been out for some time now and there's not a whole lot of guys here running them. I Would like to see some 1/4 mile time trap speeds which are a good indicator of hp, dynos vary to wildly.

Last edited by N54Yankee; 12-27-2018 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 06:23 PM   #76
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

What exactly is the draw of this? BMW already offered a 3 liter straight 6 turbo motor in the E8x (2 of them actually!) proven by many people to be able to handle big power. I just don't see why people are even bothering with this for the N52?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 03:47 PM   #77
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
What exactly is the draw of this? BMW already offered a 3 liter straight 6 turbo motor in the E8x (2 of them actually!) proven by many people to be able to handle big power. I just don't see why people are even bothering with this for the N52?
It's an easier financial pill/idea to swallow to buy an $8000 128i, have fewer issues, save money and boost it to the moon later than it is to buy a more expensive 135i and possibly have to drop hundreds or thousands on repair/maintenance costs just to keep it on the road. There's plenty of success stories but also plenty of horror stories.

I would love more power out of this car and have definitely dreampt of the ESS kit, but bottom line is I don't think I'll be boosting this thing. Would rather S85 swap it..
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2018, 11:56 AM   #78
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Quote:
It's an easier financial pill/idea to swallow to buy an $8000 128i, have fewer issues, save money and boost it to the moon later than it is to buy a more expensive 135i and possibly have to drop hundreds or thousands on repair/maintenance costs just to keep it on the road. There's plenty of success stories but also plenty of horror stories.

I would love more power out of this car and have definitely dreampt of the ESS kit, but bottom line is I don't think I'll be boosting this thing. Would rather S85 swap it..
Quote:
Never understood it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post

No, this is a pie in the sky idea and it makes no logical or financial sense to boost a 128i over buying a 135i. The cost of the FI kit, labor and tuning at a competent shop, and associated costs of other parts that should be upgraded along with the FI kit would negate any savings of buying a 128i vs 135i. To assume the reliability of this now boosted 128i would be more reliable than a 135i is simply absurd! I don't know why this idea is still being argued to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #79
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post

No, this is a pie in the sky idea and it makes no logical or financial sense to boost a 128i over buying a 135i. The cost of the FI kit, labor and tuning at a competent shop, and associated costs of other parts that should be upgraded along with the FI kit would negate any savings of buying a 128i vs 135i. To assume the reliability of this now boosted 128i would be more reliable than a 135i is simply absurd! I don't know why this idea is still being argued to be honest.
100% agree... no boosted N52 would ever be more reliable than a factory-boosted motor. The lower-cost aspect of the 128i is due to natural aspiration, not the fact that it is an N52. If a boosted N52 were objectively better than the N54/N55 then there would be a boosted N52 in the 135i from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 08:16 PM   #80
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post

Quote:
100% agree... no boosted N52 would ever be more reliable than a factory-boosted motor. The lower-cost aspect of the 128i is due to natural aspiration, not the fact that it is an N52. If a boosted N52 were objectively better than the N54/N55 then there would be a boosted N52 in the 135i from the factory.
Oh of course I don't disagree - it's like the difference for money up front vs. financing.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 11:30 AM   #81
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwilli View Post
The N52 is a great engine! If you need more tyre the Apex 1er specific rims will allow you to run 265 rears and 245 fronts without modification.
I have BMW style 197 wheels and I run 225/40/18 and 265/35/18 with zero issues.
      06-02-2020, 12:23 PM   #82
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzer View Post
I have BMW style 197 wheels and I run 225/40/18 and 265/35/18 with zero issues.
Wow. 2 year old thread resurrection and we get to learn, yet again, that the 1-series wheel fitment sucks and you 3-series guys have it way easier.
      08-08-2020, 12:54 AM   #83
Thedude42
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 125i

cant ever go wrong with a n52
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 04:44 PM   #84
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Wow. 2 year old thread resurrection and we get to learn, yet again, that the 1-series wheel fitment sucks and you 3-series guys have it way easier.
I actually ran style 197s on my E82 until I lowered it. It only rubbed at the limits. Of course now I have eibach pro-kit and Apex EC-7s so no rubbing. I think the 197s would fit perfect with a mild roll.

Fronts on stock non-sport suspension

Side view

My E46 with the E82 wheels haha

E46 with the 197s. I miss this car sometimes, but it was so unreliable if you neglected it for 2 seconds and went through suspension components like no tomorrow.
      08-09-2020, 08:23 PM   #85
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE82 View Post
I actually ran style 197s on my E82 until I lowered it. It only rubbed at the limits. Of course now I have eibach pro-kit and Apex EC-7s so no rubbing. I think the 197s would fit perfect with a mild roll.

Side view

E46 with the 197s. I miss this car sometimes, but it was so unreliable if you neglected it for 2 seconds and went through suspension components like no tomorrow.
I think desertman123 has these wheels on his 1'er. I have Bimmerworld TA5R's in an E46 fitment (17x8.5, ET38 square) and they work pretty well. I made the mistake of ordering tires with a 5% too tall sidewall so they rub a little on bumps, but there was no problem with the right size. Looks really mean when the track alignment is dialed-in with 3 degrees of camber up front
      09-15-2020, 09:47 AM   #86
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE82 View Post

Side view

I think desertman123 has these wheels on his 1'er. I have Bimmerworld TA5R's in an E46 fitment (17x8.5, ET38 square) and they work pretty well. I made the mistake of ordering tires with a 5% too tall sidewall so they rub a little on bumps, but there was no problem with the right size. Looks really mean when the track alignment is dialed-in with 3 degrees of camber up front
Old thread and still interesting
If this matters, I run 255 square on my track car.
255/40(I guess)/17
I run very aggressive alignment upfront with -3.x camber and 12.5mm spacers
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 11:10 AM   #87
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

Apex has a really good deal right now on a group buy for 17x9 et52 wheels that are designed to fit 255 square (requires front spacer + coilovers)

https://www.gangup.com/apex/apex-arc...2-q2-2021.html
Appreciate 0