BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-10-2020, 02:43 PM   #45
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBigDougie View Post
I have a muffler delete and am inquiring about doing catless headers. I got it tuned 2 days ago and tuned the O2 sensor out thinking I’d do the headers down the road. My question is will it be too loud? I love the way the muffler delete sounds but I’m looking to get the performance benefits of the AA headers. Trying to not sound raspy or tinny.
My opinion.....you will want to get a muffler back on. It will be loud. You can always try it out first...but I had a muffler delete and ended up going with a MagnaFlow catback system.

It has a different resonator than stock, and of course the muffler.

But it sounds awesome now!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Nope, only before I got my tune.

N52

AA headers and muffler delete. Still retain secondaries

BimmerLabs, custom made

According to my maintenance log, almost a year (since April 2018)

Resolved once I switched from a 3-stage only tune to a custom tune to account for the headers

Custom tune

Data point because I don't have issues. Not bragging, but helps narrow down the subset of people with issues. Seems this is an N51 problem.
I have a muffler delete and am inquiring about doing catless headers. I got it tuned 2 days ago and tuned the O2 sensor out thinking I'd do the headers down the road. My question is will it be too loud? I love the way the muffler delete sounds but I'm looking to get the performance benefits of the AA headers. Trying to not sound raspy or tinny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Quote:
I have a muffler delete and am inquiring about doing catless headers. I got it tuned 2 days ago and tuned the O2 sensor out thinking I'd do the headers down the road. My question is will it be too loud? I love the way the muffler delete sounds but I'm looking to get the performance benefits of the AA headers. Trying to not sound raspy or tinny.
My opinion.....you will want to get a muffler back on. It will be loud. You can always try it out first...but I had a muffler delete and ended up going with a MagnaFlow catback system.

It has a different resonator than stock, and of course the muffler.

But it sounds awesome now!
I have this same set up (MagnaFlow cat-back and AA headers) and agree that it sounds great. It's louder than stock, but sophisticated, not obnoxious. Running the AS headers without a muffler will be LOUD and sound like shit. I used to have a BMW Performance exhaust, which sounds perfect, but even that was too much once I added headers.
      06-11-2020, 05:47 PM   #46
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

it also depends on where you live and in some aspects age (loudness of exhaust)

in NYC everyone's car is loud af in the summer, all you hear and see are M cars if you know where to look
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 10:15 PM   #47
OneBigDougie
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I have this same set up (MagnaFlow cat-back and AA headers) and agree that it sounds great. It's louder than stock, but sophisticated, not obnoxious. Running the AS headers without a muffler will be LOUD and sound like shit. I used to have a BMW Performance exhaust, which sounds perfect, but even that was too much once I added headers.
Okay than I値l probably do that. I知 in the Marine Corps and I知 constantly going on and off base so I don稚 want the gate guard stopping me daily for being too loud or sounding like I知 doing a pull just by driving. Do you guys know where I would get the best prices on the AA catless headers and magnaflow cat back exhaust or just muffler? Possible military discount? (not trying to be an entitled d-bag but I値l try to save money where I can)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 11:10 PM   #48
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Okay than I’ll probably do that. I’m in the Marine Corps and I’m constantly going on and off base so I don’t want the gate guard stopping me daily for being too loud or sounding like I’m doing a pull just by driving. Do you guys know where I would get the best prices on the AA catless headers and magnaflow cat back exhaust or just muffler? Possible military discount? (not trying to be an entitled d-bag but I’ll try to save money where I can)
There's a website called hottexhaust.com that I got my MF at. There's s place on their site where you can request a coupon code. I thought it was a gimmick, but it was a significant discount, over $200, IIRC. And free shipping, too.

For AA, you're just going to have to wait for a sale if you want a discount. I think they do a Black Friday sale and/or Memorial Day, that kind of thing.

FWIW, I'm AD Navy and have been on and off several Navy and Marine Corps bases without issue.
      06-12-2020, 04:26 AM   #49
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
There's a website called hottexhaust.com that I got my MF at. There's s place on their site where you can request a coupon code. I thought it was a gimmick, but it was a significant discount, over $200, IIRC. And free shipping, too.

For AA, you're just going to have to wait for a sale if you want a discount. I think they do a Black Friday sale and/or Memorial Day, that kind of thing.

FWIW, I'm AD Navy and have been on and off several Navy and Marine Corps bases without issue.
With headers...I picked mine up at Extreme Power House. They are around $650. But I got them when they were running a discount.
      06-12-2020, 06:25 AM   #50
OneBigDougie
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 128i

Quote:

Okay thank you very much, I値l keep an eye our for 粗m. Hopefully there will be an Independence Day sale but who knows.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 06:12 AM   #51
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
So, I bought my car with the AA headers already installed and when I was under it the other day I noticed that the header/midpipe connection looked like it might be leaking. Not from the flange faces but from the fact that the header flange holes were slotted to bolt up to the stock midpipe for some reason.

For the people who have installed them yourselves, is it necessary to drill the header flange like that to get it to bolt up to the midpipe?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 12:40 PM   #52
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
So, I bought my car with the AA headers already installed and when I was under it the other day I noticed that the header/midpipe connection looked like it might be leaking. Not from the flange faces but from the fact that the header flange holes were slotted to bolt up to the stock midpipe for some reason.

For the people who have installed them yourselves, is it necessary to drill the header flange like that to get it to bolt up to the midpipe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post

I didn't have to do any drilling. Bolted right up.
Appreciate 1
spidertri394.50
      07-12-2020, 01:01 PM   #53
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Yeah, I've read a ton of header install threads and didn't see anyone mention that. Super frustrating because it basically means to fix it properly the headers need to be pulled off and have the holes welded up and re-drilled.

Unfortunately, the holes were slotted way more than they needed to be (which was not at all) and actually extend into the weld that connects the flange onto the header tube. So there is no way to use just an oversized washer or something to cover up the slot.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 03:06 AM   #54
white82
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

can I ask all those members who have said that they have AA headers with Magnaflow catback post videos?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 08:30 AM   #55
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

Hey all, so checking back in, did anyone with the idle fluctuation figure it out? My ara been doing it on and off for the last few years. Haven't driven it much during the pandemic and now I'm driving more again. The idle surge comes back sometimes, normally when warm, and this time around it gets a little closer to stalling.

Pretty much all the usual suspects got replaced, vanos units, solenoids, plugs, coils, valve cover, etc. Though I did not change the eccentric shaft sensor or cam sensors. No codes though.

Thanks for any ideas, would love to get this sorted.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 12:13 PM   #56
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
DME update using WinKFP made the biggest impact on mine, after the update it surges way less than before. It still does it very occasionally but seems to correct itself quickly and stop.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 06:59 PM   #57
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

Thank you, any idea on software version please? I had the dme updated before the tune, but this would have been a few years ago now.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 07:47 AM   #58
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
My DME was at ZB# 8619590 and it updated to 8619596.
Appreciate 0