BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-06-2020, 11:12 PM   #1
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Mysterious red oil drip

I just replaced my tensioner, belt, thermostat, water pump, and all hoses. When I went to put the under tray back on the car I noticed several drops of fresh red oil clinging to the sway bar bushing, power steering hose, and steering boot. I was freaked out at the thought of a new leak, but I couldn't figure out what the hell it could be. I replaced my power steering reservoir and flushed the system about six months ago, but Pentosin is green. I'm using Castrol engine oil and absolutely the only red oil I can think of is the Redline in my transmission, but I couldn't figure how it could migrate all the way to the front of the car.

I'm really beginning to freak out because I can't find the source of the leak...and then I just happen to look up at the right angle to see the drain for my intake and then I remember that I put in a new K&N filter. It's filter oil dripping out of the drain. Doh! I felt pretty stupid after that.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 1
      07-07-2020, 07:30 PM   #2
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
I had a power steering hose leak on my e46 that used automatic transmission fluid which was a dark red color
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 05:27 AM   #3
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
If your filter is dripping wet your probably using too much filter oil.

https://www.rodauthority.com/tech-st...kn-air-filter/
      07-08-2020, 09:10 AM   #4
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
If your filter is dripping wet your probably using too much filter oil.

https://www.rodauthority.com/tech-st...kn-air-filter/
That was actually straight out of the bag. I cleaned my previous one, but I didn't want to wait for it to dry so I used a new one that I had for a now unknown reason. But yeah, it had too much oil.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0