BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-04-2020, 05:38 AM   #1
accomotors
Free Spirit Tattoo Racing
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i

Single Mass Conversion

Hey guys, wondering if anyone has done a lightweight single mass flywheel, button-type clutch and regular (non-self-adjusting) pressure plate conversion? Looking at doing it to the race car (after being horrified to find that the last one they put in was broken dual-mass, and stock pressure plate).
SSO Handling and Storage
Penrite Oil
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 10:36 AM   #2
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
I've heard good things from the Valeo kit, I'll be using it once it's time.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 10:19 PM   #3
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
I've heard good things from the Valeo kit, I'll be using it once it's time.
I was going to say just this - but re-reading OP's initial query, he states "lightened flywheel". I'm quite sure the Valeo kit is meant to be a stock replacement and despite it's single mass design, it is the same weight as the stock dual-mass unit...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 10:31 AM   #4
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
I was going to say just this - but re-reading OP's initial query, he states "lightened flywheel". I'm quite sure the Valeo kit is meant to be a stock replacement and despite it's single mass design, it is the same weight as the stock dual-mass unit...
Ah whoops breezed over that part.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 05:55 AM   #5
accomotors
Australia
Rep

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I am indeed looking for a lightened version. Given that I am replacing the dual-mass anyway, and the regulations allow it, I was hoping to also lose some weight.
I will enquire further with the race component outlets and narrow it down.
Appreciate your input.
SSO Handling and Storage
Penrite Oil
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 05:52 AM   #6
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Do you get any rattling noise with the current DMF at idle and when taking off at low revs, eg traffic/manoevring the car around?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 02:40 AM   #7
accomotors
Australia
Rep

Honestly, I don't remember. The whole car makes a bit of a racket anyway.
It did give me inconsistent pedal feel though, and was just a general disaster all round.

I've tracked a place down in the UK that makes them, just have to figure out how to send money to a foreign bank account .
SSO Handling and Storage
Penrite Oil
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 11:52 AM   #8
Suhb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Coupe 6-Speed

I've had DMF chatter on my car since around 35-40k miles. So much so, I tried to get it replaced under warranty, but was denied under "normal operation." Sometimes it shudders when taking off, and now at 138k miles, you can slightly feel the play in the DMF when you're hard on the throttle or off of it after WOT.

It got me reconsidering the benefits of replacing it with another DMF if it's going to chatter anyway.

Would highly consider an equivalent single mass or lightweight flywheel.
      08-14-2020, 10:43 PM   #9
tree233
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 130i hotrod

Can't the Valeo SMF just be machined down to be a lightweight flywheel tho, just like traditional SMFs?

That may end up cheaper than an aftermarket lightweight flywheel.
If you find out, please let me know!

Is the self-adjusting pressure plate the cause of inconsistency? If not, what are the down sides?
I like the idea of having a grip point that stays nice and close to the clutch stop throughout the clutch's life.

I'm in Aus... follow you on Insta... more photos and vids please!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 07:04 AM   #10
accomotors
Australia
Rep

Hey all, just thought I should update you on what I ended up going with with regards to flywheels.

The flywheel I settled on was a single mass replacement unit from TTV Racing Components in the UK. It was a bolt-in replacement for the factory DMF, and designed to use otherwise factory componentry.

The clutch is a Clutch Masters stage 4 kit, #03033-HDC6-D purchased through Turner Motorsports. This is a 6-puck ceramic design. It too is designed for use with all factory components (although it specifies use of a SMF).

I also removed completely the delay valve in the hydraulic line at the slave cylinder, and just plugged the hard line straight back into the slave.

So a German car, with a British flywheel and an American clutch and pressure plate. What would go wrong?

Well, as it would appear, nothing. The car retains the factory pick-up point, near-factory feel and is pretty driveable (although I have low standards). All-in-all, a very successful installation. I would highly recommend it if anyone is looking at going the same route. Yes, it was expensive, but well worth it for what were essentially off-the-shelf items.
Attached Images

SSO Handling and Storage
Penrite Oil
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 03:37 PM   #11
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

You've got me considering a clutch upgrade in addition to the SMF. It's not that I need more holding power, but just like larger brake pad area spreads out the load, so too would an upgraded clutch. More clutch pad area means better heat handling and less chance of deposits. My stock clutch shudders like crazy until I finally get so annoyed that I slip it to heat it up and get more even deposits on the flywheel.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 01:19 AM   #12
jonwilli
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E81 130i

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomotors View Post
Hey all, just thought I should update you on what I ended up going with with regards to flywheels.

The flywheel I settled on was a single mass replacement unit from TTV Racing Components in the UK. It was a bolt-in replacement for the factory DMF, and designed to use otherwise factory componentry.
Could this SMF in theory then be used with an OEM clutch? It might be a cheaper alternative to those of us daily driving who want improved throttle response and no DMF chatter.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #13
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwilli View Post
Could this SMF in theory then be used with an OEM clutch? It might be a cheaper alternative to those of us daily driving who want improved throttle response and no DMF chatter.
According to Valeo, their SMF cannot be used with a stock clutch. I wonder what's different about this one.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 05:33 AM   #14
accomotors
Australia
Rep

It appeared for all the world to be the same height as the DMF. The manufacturer simply asked me 'So you would like a flywheel to use the original clutch type?'

I would venture to say that it would take factory stuff.

Perhaps Valeo do not recommend using it with stock componentry that is designed for use with DMF and all the cushioning that brings with it, because there would be an increase in noise/harshness that could bring about customer complaints?
SSO Handling and Storage
Penrite Oil
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 01:28 AM   #15
jonwilli
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It appeared for all the world to be the same height as the DMF. The manufacturer simply asked me 'So you would like a flywheel to use the original clutch type?'

I would venture to say that it would take factory stuff.

Perhaps Valeo do not recommend using it with stock componentry that is designed for use with DMF and all the cushioning that brings with it, because there would be an increase in noise/harshness that could bring about customer complaints?
Thanks I am in the UK so may give your supplier a shout when I eventually need to replace the clutch and flywheel. Would be nice to have a lighter SMF on the N52.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 03:25 AM   #16
jonwilli
Private First Class
Rep

I spoke to TTV Racing and they have confirmed that their SMF can be used with stock clutch. Their SMF is 6.45kg versus OEM DMF of 10.25kg
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 07:49 AM   #17
accomotors
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the additional info jonwilli, great to have it all here in one place for all to see.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 05:32 AM   #18
jonwilli
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the additional info jonwilli, great to have it all here in one place for all to see.
No problem I am debating whether to fit one in the near future with a stock clutch. I have just fit a SMF with Stage 3+ clutch to my N54 135i and there is more chatter and noise at lower revs. My 130i is highly modified but still used as more of a daily as it is so practical. I wonder if the additional chatter would get on my nerves (I do have a 3.91 diff, Race poly bushes, GruppeM intake etc so it is definitely louder than OEM already!!). Do you notice much additional power at the wheels and quicker engine response with the SMF on the 130i?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 06:39 AM   #19
accomotors
Australia
Rep

To be honest, I did a boat load of other mods (including solid engine/trans mounts) at the same time, so I couldn't give you an accurate gauge of additional chatter. It is noisy though, you can definitely hear it. As for extra power, it was a new motor and exhaust as well so again not something I can give you a true answer on.

It revs up nice and quickly though.

The car did surpass the dyno shops expectations based on numerous others they had dynoed in the past, if that helps.

Sorry I can't be of more help in the feedback department.
SSO Handling and Storage
Penrite Oil
Appreciate 0