BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2016, 07:54 PM   #45
sprp85
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S54/N52

Garage List
2006 E46 M3  [0.00]
2007 E91 328i  [0.00]
So the stock muffler replaced with PE + resonator delete (or SS section 2, I believe?) can net some good gains?

How about secondary-cat delete with ss section 1?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 07:58 PM   #46
Ryan13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, Z4MR, M3, E36, M2, 535

According to Viral at AA, the exhaust is brand new. I'll have it in a few days, will take some pictures and post.

We'll see if the throttle hang is evident. I believe you that it is in the stock program, but I haven't stressed the car yet to find any limits. Soon as it is buttoned up, I'll give it a test in a parking lot.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 11:22 PM   #47
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprp85 View Post
So the stock muffler replaced with PE + resonator delete (or SS section 2, I believe?) can net some good gains?

How about secondary-cat delete with ss section 1?
The PE barely flows better than the stock exhaust, but replacing the secondaries with something like a SS section 2 will provide gains.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 06:47 PM   #48
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
The PE barely flows better than the stock exhaust, but replacing the secondaries with something like a SS section 2 will provide gains.
How does it only flow "barely" better than the stock exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #49
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
How does it only flow "barely" better than the stock exhaust?
BMW's marketing material states it gains up to 5hp

"Enter the BMW Performance Exhaust System. This solution produces an outflow of exhaust gases that is so free (though still under control) that it markedly reduces back pressure. The flow is free enough, in fact, to actually pull more air into the engine. So while it's saving power at one end, it's increasing power at the other. RPM performance is heightened and engine performance is increased by up to 5hp and 3 ft-lbs of torque at 6600 RPM."

I'm pretty sure the one dyno I did find on that was about 3whp, compared to approx 5 - 7whp gained from just lopping off the muffler itself. My own black car vs white car (same mileage) the white car made 2whp more peak, and about 1wtq, but it did have more low end grunt.

Either way, it's only a handful of hp, and the PE sounds awesome.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 07:29 PM   #50
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
BMW's marketing material states it gains up to 5hp

"Enter the BMW Performance Exhaust System. This solution produces an outflow of exhaust gases that is so free (though still under control) that it markedly reduces back pressure. The flow is free enough, in fact, to actually pull more air into the engine. So while it's saving power at one end, it's increasing power at the other. RPM performance is heightened and engine performance is increased by up to 5hp and 3 ft-lbs of torque at 6600 RPM."

I'm pretty sure the one dyno I did find on that was about 3whp, compared to approx 5 - 7whp gained from just lopping off the muffler itself. My own black car vs white car (same mileage) the white car made 2whp more peak, and about 1wtq, but it did have more low end grunt.

Either way, it's only a handful of hp, and the PE sounds awesome.

My money is on the accuracy and repeatability of BMW's dyno.

Last edited by Suprgnat; 04-29-2016 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 08:37 PM   #51
RyanDavies
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i MSport

This is one thing I'll absolutely agree with Axiom on. Both the stock muffler and BMW PE are very, very restrictive. Cut open a stock muffler if you have one around. It couldn't be worse for flow. A muffler delete alone (if you like annoying everyone around you) is near double digit power numbers, plus *25*lbs, just for the muffler section itself (cut at entry point to muffler). Remove the piping post-resonator and it is well over 30. Substantial performance difference.

I don't get the appeal, given that for what it costs, you can fab up an entire post-header section, that will be just as DD-friendly, but make substantially more power. And it isn't a bolt-on affair, so you've got to hit a welder anyways.

Last edited by RyanDavies; 04-29-2016 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 03:01 AM   #52
Ryan13
Private First Class
Rep

Took a little over a month, but the car is finished. Ran into a couple of hurdles, but somehow figured out how to cross them.

Quick recap of everything that went into it...

ST-XTA suspension. Set it up with -2.2 front and rear. Had the car corner balanced.

M3 rear subframe bushings.

Diffsonline 4 disc 30/60 ramps with 3.64 gear.

Stainless steel brake lines

3-stage intake manifold

AA headers

AA exhaust

AA tune

Gaskets on Valve cover, OFHG, and oil pan

Stayed with stock 256 wheels...added Bridgestone sport comp2

Had to make a decision on the sway bars. Had the subframe out, put it back in, then realized the rear sway mounts on top. Took subframe back out. While installing control arms, snapped off the bolt...probably should have run a die through the rusted hole. In any case, I gave up on the rear bar for now. Will see if it really matters on the track. Since we didn't add the rear bar, I left the stock front bar in place.

Had a little issue with the tune from AA, but it was fixed pretty quickly. Just throwing a code from the O2 sensors, no performance problem.

Car feels great. AA Exhaust is a little loud, there is definitely a drone between 2k-3k rpms...I'm going to give it time to break in and see if any changes. Lots of burbles on decel, sounds F1 like in the higher rpms.

Will post some pictures tonight...everything is on my phone. Happy with the build. My wife drove it at summit point main this past weekend, both days in rain with standing water on the track. Not ideal for her first outing, but she kept it between the lines.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 01:22 PM   #53
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan13 View Post
Took a little over a month, but the car is finished. Ran into a couple of hurdles, but somehow figured out how to cross them.

Quick recap of everything that went into it...

ST-XTA suspension. Set it up with -2.2 front and rear. Had the car corner balanced.

M3 rear subframe bushings.

Diffsonline 4 disc 30/60 ramps with 3.64 gear.

Stainless steel brake lines

3-stage intake manifold

AA headers

AA exhaust

AA tune

Gaskets on Valve cover, OFHG, and oil pan

Stayed with stock 256 wheels...added Bridgestone sport comp2

Had to make a decision on the sway bars. Had the subframe out, put it back in, then realized the rear sway mounts on top. Took subframe back out. While installing control arms, snapped off the bolt...probably should have run a die through the rusted hole. In any case, I gave up on the rear bar for now. Will see if it really matters on the track. Since we didn't add the rear bar, I left the stock front bar in place.

Had a little issue with the tune from AA, but it was fixed pretty quickly. Just throwing a code from the O2 sensors, no performance problem.

Car feels great. AA Exhaust is a little loud, there is definitely a drone between 2k-3k rpms...I'm going to give it time to break in and see if any changes. Lots of burbles on decel, sounds F1 like in the higher rpms.

Will post some pictures tonight...everything is on my phone. Happy with the build. My wife drove it at summit point main this past weekend, both days in rain with standing water on the track. Not ideal for her first outing, but she kept it between the lines.
Nice build. If you're getting drone from exhaust, try stuffing a sweatshirt or blanket in the trunk in the compartment that's next to the battery, I did that when my exhaust was first breaking in
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 01:11 PM   #54
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
Nice build. If you're getting drone from exhaust, try stuffing a sweatshirt or blanket in the trunk in the compartment that's next to the battery, I did that when my exhaust was first breaking in
Get a dyno so I can have the numbers for a database
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2019, 02:33 AM   #55
Ryan13
Private First Class
Rep

Thought I would check in and say Hi. Still have the car, still tracking it quite a bit. Wife blew the clutch, really it was the flywheel that disintegrated, on the track mid 2018 while she was learning to heel-toe at VIR...so I upgraded with a single mass and little better clutch.

She couldn’t make to the last event of the season at VIR, so I decided to borrow it for the weekend. Video below from perspective of a P-car, but you can catch the headlights in the review mirror coming out of Oaktree at 1:10 or so in. The guy has some other videos of the weekend if you want to see more. There was a stripped 135 I think the person races in another video...I could stay with him on the turns, but he just pulled away on the straights.

It was my first time taking her car on the track outside of Summit once with her in passenger seat, but I was averaging 2:17 - 2:18 around VIR on the clean laps with Bridgestone RE71s square 235s.

She is upgrading to a E46 M3 this year that will double as my club racing car, but we are keeping the 128 as a back up track car...everyone needs a back up just in case you know.

Appreciate 1
      03-09-2019, 02:45 AM   #56
Ryan13
Private First Class
Rep

Around 2:30 you’ll catch the 135. He lost me coming into turn 1 since I had to take the inside, but definitely a quick car and a really good driver.

Appreciate 0