E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E92 3-series coupe: official pics!!!

04-19-2006, 01:44 PM   #67
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Its not the Injectors but the Catalitic Converters

For the high temperature lean burn mode the car needs special CAT's and these are very sensitive to sulphure
Audi has managed it just fine.
Plus, US fuel sulphur has been decreasing over the past decade. This year federal mandates will make those reductions standard. Thus, I don't understand the claim that BMW can't figure it out, or maybe do they even need to.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 03:20 PM   #68
EnI
Secret Agent
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Joy Machine

Quote:
Know when the embargo is supposed to end ?

Should be a lot more pics available then.

April 25th. Tuesday.

Yes, a lot of pics. Also the Glasgow ones.
Not all the pics will be used for the press release. Some are used for internet presentations, some for catalogues, some for the next (market specific) press releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
I do not recognize the scenery, is this the remote Scottish road that has been discussed? Some shots look more like the big island (Hawaii).
Lanzarote, Canary Islands.
Also the initial 645Ci press pics were taken there, as well the upcoming M6 Cabrio pics.

Scotland road was used for promo movie.

Last edited by EnI; 04-19-2006 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 03:36 PM   #69
e90fan1234
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 E-46 325i

I was thinking DI was going to be used with ONLY the N54 turbo engine. I'm also thinking that the engine in the 330i will remain as it has been, just tuned up to the 1-series standard (guessing the 265 USA hp is 272 euro hp).

If that is the case. then the amount of sulfur in the fuel wouldn't matter in the uptuned N52, would it?
Also, I thought the the sulfur changes only applied to DIESEL fuels, not petrol. I think the realitvely high sulfur content of diesel fuels in America has been given as one of the reasons that we "don't get cool diesels over here".

In addition, assuming these numbers are anything close to reality, does anyone else find it curious that BMW is leaving the 325 alone and upping the 330 by 15 hp? I would think they would want to tune the 325 up to 230hp, since it is already a detuned 3.0 litre in the US.

Anyway, just some thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 03:41 PM   #70
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90
Audi has managed it just fine.
Plus, US fuel sulphur has been decreasing over the past decade. This year federal mandates will make those reductions standard. Thus, I don't understand the claim that BMW can't figure it out, or maybe do they even need to.
The Audi ones dont have the lean burn mode

BMW will be the first manufacturer outside the Japanese local market to release DI engines with a lean burn mode.
The Lean burn mode makes fuel savings of up to 20 % possible, even over the N52.

The USA fuel is supposed to be on spec by 2007, europe went on spec at the beginning of 2006
      04-19-2006, 03:47 PM   #71
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90fan1234
I was thinking DI was going to be used with ONLY the N54 turbo engine. I'm also thinking that the engine in the 330i will remain as it has been, just tuned up to the 1-series standard (guessing the 265 USA hp is 272 euro hp).

If that is the case. then the amount of sulfur in the fuel wouldn't matter in the uptuned N52, would it?
Also, I thought the the sulfur changes only applied to DIESEL fuels, not petrol. I think the realitvely high sulfur content of diesel fuels in America has been given as one of the reasons that we "don't get cool diesels over here".

In addition, assuming these numbers are anything close to reality, does anyone else find it curious that BMW is leaving the 325 alone and upping the 330 by 15 hp? I would think they would want to tune the 325 up to 230hp, since it is already a detuned 3.0 litre in the US.

Anyway, just some thoughts.
All BMW's 6 cylinder engines will go to DI

But this wont happen all at the same time, nor will it happen in all markets at the same time.

All EU member coutries fuel is supposed to conform to the required standard asof late 2005/early 2006, so BMW will start to introduce the new engines there. Possibly with the E92.

Only markets with the correct fuel will get the Lean Burn DI engines
      04-19-2006, 03:53 PM   #72
e90fan1234
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 E-46 325i

How much R&D goes into an engine to convert it to DI? Does it require a significant investment?

Also, what happens to Valvetronic and the like when DI is implemented?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 03:58 PM   #73
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90fan1234
How much R&D goes into an engine to convert it to DI? Does it require a significant investment?

Also, what happens to Valvetronic and the like when DI is implemented?
Huge amount of R&D, they have been working on it for years.

A Number of parts of the engine need to be changed.

The cams shouldnt change much, so Valvetonic and Double VANOS will stay on the normally aspirated engines.
      04-19-2006, 04:10 PM   #74
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:

The cams shouldnt change much, so Valvetonic and Double VANOS will stay on the normally aspirated engines.
valvetronic isn't used anymore in the DI engines I thought/read somewhere in a German carmag.

This is bloody confusing me.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 04:14 PM   #75
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbrain
The only thing that is leaking is your brain.

PSed my ass. Leonardo da Vinci couldn't paint that well!
Roflol
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 04:15 PM   #76
luxman999
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

As some believe, I don't think these are really OFFICIAL photos of E92. If they are, they would be all over other big websites, such as autoweek or worldcarfans.com, which are usually first to report this kind of news.

These could be some well-crafted PS....
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 04:16 PM   #77
Imperial
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

dunno what to think with respect to authenticity, but I have to say that I'm not a huge fan, I'm afraid. I think I like the sedan styling better...
      04-19-2006, 04:18 PM   #78
goldminer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG E92 M3, 6MT

Quote:
The Audi ones dont have the lean burn mode

BMW will be the first manufacturer outside the Japanese local market to release DI engines with a lean burn mode.
The first statement is what I have read elsewhere in technical correspondance in car mags. (Not being able to use a lean burn mode negates many of the advantages of DI gasoline engines so most manufacturers have been reluctant to sell them in north america.) The second statement I am less sure about.

I have read that the problem with the lean burn mode is not sulphur in the fuel but the very high cylinder and exhaust temperatures which are reached with a lean mixture. These high temps cause low CO and HC in the exhaust but result in high NOX. I was told that so far the manufacturers have been able to meet European NOX emissions regs with DI gasoline engines, but not the more strict US ones. Maybe BMW has made a breakthough.

NOX causes the orange haze you see over large cities on summer evenings and when mixed with water becomes nitric acid.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 04:21 PM   #79
Luwiroo
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 325

New e92 is soo coooool

No speak english

speak german
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #80
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwiroo
New e92 is soo coooool

No speak english

speak german
Wie geht's denn?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 04:51 PM   #81
EnI
Secret Agent
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxman999
As some believe, I don't think these are really OFFICIAL photos of E92. If they are, they would be all over other big websites, such as autoweek or worldcarfans.com, which are usually first to report this kind of news.

These pics are official.

Leaked by two sources: Greek magazine Autotriti, and CARSCOOP.blogspot. Dutch AutoWeek also published the leaked pics on their site.

Both, the mags & the blog author, will be legally pursiuted by BMW AG. All the press that recieve press kit in advance signed (mostly chief editors or managing directors) the liability agreement with BMW AG about not breaking the embargo.

The PR is out next Tuesday, April 25th when the press embargo ends. On that day all the smart media will publish pics and all the relevant info.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 04:58 PM   #82
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

How much info do you think will be released with the PR on 4/25? All colors & options? Pricing for euro market? Details of specifications?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 05:11 PM   #83
EnI
Secret Agent
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
How much info do you think will be released with the PR on 4/25? All colors & options? Pricing for euro market? Details of specifications?
Usually the initial PR is general PR with the highlights only, the market specific "in-detail" PRs follow later in the next months.

No experiments with this PR.

So, no colors & options (only the highlighted ones), no pricing, no detailed specs as yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 06:07 PM   #84
SapphireBlackG01
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 X3, Formerly ‘06 Z4

Quote:

Fleet, why doesn't the Turbo have Valvetronic?

Rumor was the DI and Valvetronic were somehow redundant, but seeing as how the Prince engines will feature both, that's obviously not the issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 06:23 PM   #85
wahoo
Bangin' my head against the wall
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07BMWM3
these aren't official photos.... does any one else doubt them

really now...you don't say??
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 02:13 PM   #86
sinister
Private
Rep
Drives: 325Ci Sport Coupe (2005)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpaintmepunkxx
Yeah, here are some spyshots from WAAYYY back... we we're all flipping out about whether somehow, just somehow, BMW would fuck this up.

We had the real thing on our hands before anyone even realized it... this first link is almost a whole YEAR old, and it is 100% accurate so far.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=45

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=91

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=189

It could be possible that many of the chops we have been seeing for so long were made by BMW, and were released in order to receive responsive feedback from us. If I was incharge then that is what I would do for sure. The design we give the most positive feedback on could well be taken full steam ahead or taken back to the drawing boards to perfect.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 02:23 PM   #87
sinister
Private
Rep
Drives: 325Ci Sport Coupe (2005)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxman999

I'm not saying that they are not PS (seriously doubt it though), but there would be a good reason for the major sites and publications not to release these pics... they are not allowed to They presumably have been given the pics by BMW and must have been given a release time and told not to release beforehand. If they disobey this then they can kiss the next official release goodbye.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 03:52 PM   #88
Garissimo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 4 doors, 6 gears, 8 cylinders

bravo

I think the coupe came out looking fantastic - worlds better than the E46 coupe.

I wish we could get some definitive info on the 335i sedan for the U.S. It seems to be a definite "go" in Europe but that's all I can gather so far.

Also, I wonder how much rear space the 335i coupe will be giving up vs. the 4 door. If it's neglibigle, I might be tempted back to go back to a 2 door.

Last edited by Garissimo; 04-20-2006 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0