BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-26-2012, 05:02 AM   #1
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Brake Pads

Evening Gentlemen (& ladies),

Hope all is well in your worlds.

Having been through my second set of stock pads today, I think it's time to upgrade to something a little bit better.

I'm currently running stock brakes, stock pads with Motul DOT4 fluid.

Any suggestions?

Having read up on the main forum PFC8 & Ferodo DS2500 seem to receive good reviews. I just want something that will deal with the monthly track day and a bit of street driving.

Thank you all in advance.

Kamal
      08-27-2012, 01:40 AM   #2
saurabh_turingMS
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M AW (F10 520D MSport - gone)

I ran DS2500 on my 130i with slotted discs, the performance on track was fantastic. After a while they started squealing on the street driving which was a bit annoying for a daily drive.
I've heard great things about PFC also, but not tried them as yet.

Recently I came across was Carbotech, with a guys who runs on production racing Subaru. His view was Carbotech is cheaper and better feel/feedback than PFC.

Rather than going for a compromised pad between street & track, a lot guys are changing pads for the track and running OEM for street.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 03:24 AM   #3
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sverma View Post
I ran DS2500 on my 130i with slotted discs, the performance on track was fantastic. After a while they started squealing on the street driving which was a bit annoying for a daily drive.
I've heard great things about PFC also, but not tried them as yet.

Recently I came across was Carbotech, with a guys who runs on production racing Subaru. His view was Carbotech is cheaper and better feel/feedback than PFC.

Rather than going for a compromised pad between street & track, a lot guys are changing pads for the track and running OEM for street.
Thanks sverma. I have heard great things about both compounds you mentioned but yes the squealing would be rather irritating.

How hard is is to swap pads? I'm quite inept with these things.

My 1M will no longer be daily driven - as of this week all going well. So was thinking of getting a good set of pads for the weekend drive and track days.
      08-27-2012, 06:02 AM   #4
saurabh_turingMS
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Not sure how hard it is to swap, but I think Kai (KKS) may be able to shed some more light.
Also, you've got me intrigued - whats the new daily drive?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
Broady
Private
Rep
Drives: 130i

Did you take out the sensors when swapping pads, and just run on the track with the warning light?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 06:05 AM   #6
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Not sure how hard it is to swap, but I think Kai (KKS) may be able to shed some more light.
Also, you've got me intrigued - whats the new daily drive?
Hopefully he weighs in.

I bought John's (AlpineE92M3) Polo GTI! It's on a truck as we speak, so very excited!
      08-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #7
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broady View Post
Did you take out the sensors when swapping pads, and just run on the track with the warning light?
I haven't swapped. We're waiting on KKS to comment!
      08-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #8
Broady
Private
Rep
Drives: 130i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
I haven't swapped. We're waiting on KKS to comment!
I was asking sverma :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #9
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broady View Post
I was asking sverma :-)
My bad!
      08-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

swapping is pretty straight forward, you take the wheel off and then the calipers and place the pads back in between the disc and caliper.

All the other cars I've replaced have been my jap imports and the pad just slots in straight down between the pistons and rotor, but the 135i calipers are quite large and have bracing between the two so they need to be pulled off.

It's pretty straight forward and once you've done a few you can knock it out in no time. I found a piece of rope from the top of the suspension to hold on to the dangling calipers to be very helpful as the caliper are quite large and heavy and you don't want your brake lines being yanked

I run ds2500's on the street with no squeeling at all. And the pad sensor I just shorted the two wires so the warning light no longer appears.

edit: I just found a guide for those interested: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263962

Last edited by RadiuM; 08-27-2012 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: added link
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
saurabh_turingMS
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Kamal, nice buy - the Polo GTI is a cracking little car

My car is only 5wks old, it hasn't been anywhere near a track yet
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #12
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Interested to hear more about these 2500's. Only concern is losing the initial bite of the OEM pads, stopping power when cold, and how they affect the rotors.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #13
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I've had mine in for a week now, and done 1 track day and about 1000kms.
They were awesome on the track.
On the road, no loss of initial bite even when cold, to me they feel better than the stock pads, got rid of the grinding feeling of the stock pads as well. Not sure if they'll chew the rotors quicker, will keep an eye on it.
I have been getting occasional squealing. Not super loud and only every so often randomly, not enough to bother me.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #14
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiuM View Post
swapping is pretty straight forward, you take the wheel off and then the calipers and place the pads back in between the disc and caliper.

All the other cars I've replaced have been my jap imports and the pad just slots in straight down between the pistons and rotor, but the 135i calipers are quite large and have bracing between the two so they need to be pulled off.

It's pretty straight forward and once you've done a few you can knock it out in no time. I found a piece of rope from the top of the suspension to hold on to the dangling calipers to be very helpful as the caliper are quite large and heavy and you don't want your brake lines being yanked

I run ds2500's on the street with no squeeling at all. And the pad sensor I just shorted the two wires so the warning light no longer appears.

edit: I just found a guide for those interested: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263962
Thanks RadiuM. Sounds easy enough. Definitely not something I'm likely to be doing though!

I asked on the main forum and the main suspects are;
OEM Sport Pads
Ferodo DS2500
PFC8

I'm a little lost as to which to buy! Leaning toward the OEM one as I can get the dealer to do the install and not worry.
      08-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #15
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Kamal, nice buy - the Polo GTI is a cracking little car

My car is only 5wks old, it hasn't been anywhere near a track yet
Yes, this one has OZ Lightweight Wheels, H&R Coilovers and APR Tune! So should be pretty interesting! Can't wait to see what it's like on the track.

You should get yours on the track when you get a chance, our cars really come alive! Just too much fun! I have something a little more track orientated but still love taking the 1M out - it's such a lively little car.
      08-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #16
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Thanks RadiuM. Sounds easy enough. Definitely not something I'm likely to be doing though!

I asked on the main forum and the main suspects are;
OEM Sport Pads
Ferodo DS2500
PFC8

I'm a little lost as to which to buy! Leaning toward the OEM one as I can get the dealer to do the install and not worry.
dealer? DID you really mean dealer you want to get raped there are better options. shit (not that this has anything to do with being raped) I think Stu would fly up and install them for free if you bought his pads
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 11:40 PM   #17
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yes, this one has OZ Lightweight Wheels, H&R Coilovers and APR Tune! So should be pretty interesting! Can't wait to see what it's like on the track.

You should get yours on the track when you get a chance, our cars really come alive! Just too much fun! I have something a little more track orientated but still love taking the 1M out - it's such a lively little car.
he was going to come to wakefield on the 20th but is spinning some crap about singapore shopping or some such rubbish .
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #18
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Interested to hear more about these 2500's. Only concern is losing the initial bite of the OEM pads, stopping power when cold, and how they affect the rotors.
Curious as well. They sound really good.
      08-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #19
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
dealer? DID you really mean dealer you want to get raped there are better options. shit (not that this has anything to do with being raped) I think Stu would fly up and install them for free if you bought his pads
haha, You have to keep in mind that this is Darwin and not many people you can actually rely on to do something as life-deciding as brakes.

I am happy to pay the dealer their premium if they do it right. The guys in there now are actually really good and really reasonable - they've done a few things for me now and not charged.

Need to check what pads Stu's got.
      08-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #20
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
I've had mine in for a week now, and done 1 track day and about 1000kms.
They were awesome on the track.
On the road, no loss of initial bite even when cold, to me they feel better than the stock pads, got rid of the grinding feeling of the stock pads as well. Not sure if they'll chew the rotors quicker, will keep an eye on it.
I have been getting occasional squealing. Not super loud and only every so often randomly, not enough to bother me.
Assuming this is the DS2500?
      08-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #21
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
haha, You have to keep in mind that this is Darwin and not many people you can actually rely on to do something as life-deciding as brakes.

I am happy to pay the dealer their premium if they do it right. The guys in there now are actually really good and really reasonable - they've done a few things for me now and not charged.

Need to check what pads Stu's got.
NOT CHARGED, are you for real

Shit if I were you I'd be going back as well
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #22
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
NOT CHARGED, are you for real

Shit if I were you I'd be going back as well
Yep! For the first time the dealer in Darwin is pretty damn awesome!