12-01-2017, 12:19 AM   #23
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Nope. Spark plugs on the 1M should be changed every 30K miles. Lots of cold starts(short engine running) might shorten that life. On the 128i the plugs are good for 100K. But I would hate to be the one to pull those plugs out for fear of the cylinder head threads coming out as well at that mileage.

I would buy an (Mahle, Mann or BMW, bought)air filter and change it yourself. It's a 5 minute job at most. Take the time to vacuum out all the debris inside the airbox too.

I would also replace your HVAC pollen filter. You need to take this off when you replace your spark plugs.

I would also change/flush your brake fluid, diff and trans fluids. New wiper blades are also a good idea. What about your tires? I bet your due for new rears as well.

There are lots of DIY's on how to do the above maintenance yourself. Or find a good indi shop who you can trust. Maybe ask around on the forum(regional section) for a good shop.

IF your car needs a new Oil Filter Housing Gasket... also have a carbon cleaning done. The labor times will overlap. CC runs around $500ish. But I doubt you need a new OFHG probably just some spilled oil from your last oil change.

Dackel
What Dackel said, plus a couple more notes. Only get BMW or the Bosch plugs that go with the 1M. These cars can be very picky with plugs. The 1M are Bosch. Also, there is a special size socket for the new small plugs. I had to get it.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      12-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #24
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
What Dackel said, plus a couple more notes. Only get BMW or the Bosch plugs that go with the 1M. These cars can be very picky with plugs. The 1M are Bosch. Also, there is a special size socket for the new small plugs. I had to get it.
12mm 12point (narrow walled)socket is needed. Yes, on only buying spark plugs from a BMW dealer.

Dack

135i Spark Plug replacement DIY...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602804

DIY: manual transmission and diff fluid change (see my post #70)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409293
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 08:25 PM   #25
Luca335
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Thank you all for your input.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 08:40 PM   #26
Luca335
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Nope. Spark plugs on the 1M should be changed every 30K miles. Lots of cold starts(short engine running) might shorten that life. On the 128i the plugs are good for 100K. But I would hate to be the one to pull those plugs out for fear of the cylinder head threads coming out as well at that mileage.

I would buy an (Mahle, Mann or BMW, bought)air filter and change it yourself. It's a 5 minute job at most. Take the time to vacuum out all the debris inside the airbox too.

I would also replace your HVAC pollen filter. You need to take this off when you replace your spark plugs.

I would also change/flush your brake fluid, diff and trans fluids. New wiper blades are also a good idea. What about your tires? I bet your due for new rears as well.

There are lots of DIY's on how to do the above maintenance yourself. Or find a good indi shop who you can trust. Maybe ask around on the forum(regional section) for a good shop.

IF your car needs a new Oil Filter Housing Gasket... also have a carbon cleaning done. The labor times will overlap. CC runs around $500ish. But I doubt you need a new OFHG probably just some spilled oil from your last oil change.

Dackel
Thanks Dackel. When you say 30K Miles, is it Mile or KM? Is there an easy way to determine if it is spilled oil or actual seepage?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 04:08 PM   #27
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca335 View Post
Thanks Dackel. When you say 30K Miles, is it Mile or KM? Is there an easy way to determine if it is spilled oil or actual seepage?
30K miles not kms(for the spark plug change).

For the oil leak... buy a can of (non flammable, CRC is non-flammable, I believe) "Brake Cleaner" and spray down the old oil residue area... IF it comes back... you have a leak.

Dack
Appreciate 0