BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #23
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I never got mine checked out as I think it is fine. The radiator fan speed changes in conjunction with the ac fan speed. Turns off completely if I turn the ac off. I think it is louder than I remember, but honestly, I can't say for certain.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 12:32 AM   #24
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Mine is definitely louder. However it does go on/off with the A/C so I'm not sure it's a critical problem. I need to get an oil change anyway so maybe I'll take it to the dealer for that and see if they can hook it up and see if there are any codes. (I think there are a couple of recalls I need to have done anyway) If it's just noise I'll deal with it for now. Winter is coming anyway plus I'm thinking about possibly trading it in. (5 years is the longest I've ever owned a car) No need to spend a bunch of money fixing it if I'm just going to get rid of it anyway.

If they say there is some sort of code and it's critical to be fixed I'll let you know so you can be aware of what your problem might be.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #25
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

In other cars I've had (and assuming the 135 as well), the secondary fan cuts on automatically when you turn on the A/C - it's not temperature related. Sounds like your is doing the same? If it got noisier recently, maybe the fan motor itself is about to go?
      08-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #26
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Mine is definitely louder. However it does go on/off with the A/C so I'm not sure it's a critical problem. I need to get an oil change anyway so maybe I'll take it to the dealer for that and see if they can hook it up and see if there are any codes. (I think there are a couple of recalls I need to have done anyway) If it's just noise I'll deal with it for now. Winter is coming anyway plus I'm thinking about possibly trading it in. (5 years is the longest I've ever owned a car) No need to spend a bunch of money fixing it if I'm just going to get rid of it anyway.

If they say there is some sort of code and it's critical to be fixed I'll let you know so you can be aware of what your problem might be.
That would be great. Report back here regardless of what they do or do not find.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #27
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well I took it in. The mechanic said it seemed louder then usual, but the car was not throwing any codes so he didn't think there was anything to worry about.

It's almost winter, so I wont be using the A/C much over the next 6-8 months anyway, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Plus I'm actually thinking about trading it in anyway. I'd really like something AWD. I'm going to wait and see if they offer a 235i with xDrive but if not I might get a 335i or maybe something non-BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #28
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Well I took it in. The mechanic said it seemed louder then usual, but the car was not throwing any codes so he didn't think there was anything to worry about.

It's almost winter, so I wont be using the A/C much over the next 6-8 months anyway, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Plus I'm actually thinking about trading it in anyway. I'd really like something AWD. I'm going to wait and see if they offer a 235i with xDrive but if not I might get a 335i or maybe something non-BMW.
Good to hear and thanks for the update!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #29
Miko226
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
Get ready to change the water pump and thermostat...
What he said

08' n54 135i FBO E85 - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #30
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko226 View Post
What he said
No, I don't think so, at least not because of this 'issue'. Did you read the rest of the thread?

More than 3 summer months later and water pump has not blown up on me.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 01:12 AM   #31
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Jet Black Sports pkg

Old thread but did anyone ever find out about the AUX FAN problem running loud when AC ON. I am seeing same problem in X5 for last 3 months and thinking of the Aux Fan FSU going bad or stuck on High.
      07-09-2014, 01:26 AM   #32
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwater View Post
Old thread but did anyone ever find out about the AUX FAN problem running loud when AC ON. I am seeing same problem in X5 for last 3 months and thinking of the Aux Fan FSU going bad or stuck on High.
Mine still does it. I took it in and they said nothing was wrong, so I'm just ignoring it for now. Probably going to get a new car soon anyway. (mine is 6 years old now, longest I've ever kept a car)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 02:09 AM   #33
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I am pretty sure that its the FAN unit itself stuck in High and the FSU unit is built into the Fan assembly so cant replace the FSU but need to replace the whole FAN (~$600 plus Labor) looking at at least 1k with an Indy shop.

Mine has finish the CPO but still undr 70K, I think I already drop ~4k on this SAV, its Wife SAV and she wont sell it, so I am stuck with it for few more yrs I guess, I am sure Water pump, thermostat, evaporator are the Next to go..

Dont get me wrong I love BMW but will never buy them again due to the maintenance they required after Warranty is over and same for MB, Audi and VW...
I will only Lease them for 2-3 yrs never ever Buy them. It cost an Arm and Leg to keep them running and Labor is very expensive even with the Indys..
      07-09-2014, 02:27 AM   #34
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm gonna lease next time. Then just trade up every 3-4 years before warranty expires. I drive really low miles so a lease isn't bad. (Only 24k on my 08 135i)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 02:42 AM   #35
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

They do Lease 10k per yr so leasing for 3 yr wont be Bad, maintenance is all Free and you get a New one every 3 yrs.
      07-10-2014, 07:38 AM   #36
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Mine still does it. Other than being annoying, no issues.

As I mentioned in my first post, I started noticing it (I think) after I had my ac recharged last spring. I am getting it charged again tomorrow (leaky evaporator, I think). Will see if the recharge makes it worse or maybe makes it go away. Not sure how they'd be related, but who knows.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:57 AM   #37
brake-fade
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i, 6sp MT, Koni, Swift

You stated you had the AC charged. Have them check the pressure. The fan should come on at a certain pressure to bring the high side pressure down. Maybe the system is over charged? The fan coming on would be normal with the AC on due to the fact the car is not moving and air is not passing through the AC condenser.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #38
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brake-fade View Post
You stated you had the AC charged. Have them check the pressure. The fan should come on at a certain pressure to bring the high side pressure down. Maybe the system is over charged? The fan coming on would be normal with the AC on due to the fact the car is not moving and air is not passing through the AC condenser.
I am having it charged again tomorrow. But maybe as you say, it was over charged last year. Though, would the pressure not be lower now due to the evaporator leak?

I know the fan coming on at rest is normal, it just never used to come on so high at idle - regardless of ambient temp.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #39
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I am investigating this issue for few months now and recently read some interesting opinions from some forum. X5 has AUX FAN Relays ( Low, Med, High ), depending upon the Model Yr those Relays can be replaced or not. In my case they are not replaceable since the whole FSR unit is built into to AUX FAN. Once the Relays goes Bad then the FAN Runs High all the time and takes it powers from the 12V Battery. Its a safe mechanism to make sure FAN keep running and car dont get overheated. Ideally the Relays should control when the FAN should get turned ON and what speed they should run as needed. If 135i Relay is replaceable then it should be an easy Fix, Relays are normally in the Fuse Box under the Driver Compartment. This is just my Theory after reading about this problem and others feedback I might be all wrong.

I agree that if the over pressure is causing it then it should stop when their is less Freon in the System.. It looks to me that over pressure or over cooling might have permanently damage the Relays which control the FAN speed..

Please Report with your Findings.
      07-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #40
brake-fade
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
I am having it charged again tomorrow. But maybe as you say, it was over charged last year. Though, would the pressure not be lower now due to the evaporator leak?

I know the fan coming on at rest is normal, it just never used to come on so high at idle - regardless of ambient temp.
The fan has two jobs. Pass air through the radiator to manage engine coolant temp, and pass air through the condenser to cool and bring down refrigerant pressure. Speed will vary depending upon outside temp, coolant temp and pressure. The fan may be working for one system and not the other, or both. Maybe there's an issue with the High Pressure switch? Also, an overcharged system will not get as cool, simulating a low charge. Interesting that your system was recharged over a year ago and yet it still has enough charge (low pressure switch) to run the AC compressor. I may be mistaken, but I think these systems use the AC compressor even in winter, say in defrost mode, to dry the air. My point being, pressures can still get high in winter and speed up a leak. Maybe not so high as to cause the fan to come on, but high enough to push gas out.

Just some thoughts...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #41
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwater View Post
I am investigating this issue for few months now and recently read some interesting opinions from some forum. X5 has AUX FAN Relays ( Low, Med, High ), depending upon the Model Yr those Relays can be replaced or not. In my case they are not replaceable since the whole FSR unit is built into to AUX FAN. Once the Relays goes Bad then the FAN Runs High all the time and takes it powers from the 12V Battery. Its a safe mechanism to make sure FAN keep running and car dont get overheated. Ideally the Relays should control when the FAN should get turned ON and what speed they should run as needed. If 135i Relay is replaceable then it should be an easy Fix, Relays are normally in the Fuse Box under the Driver Compartment. This is just my Theory after reading about this problem and others feedback I might be all wrong.

I agree that if the over pressure is causing it then it should stop when their is less Freon in the System.. It looks to me that over pressure or over cooling might have permanently damage the Relays which control the FAN speed..

Please Report with your Findings.
Does you fan still run when your turn the AC off? Mine doesn't, so not sure if that affects your relay theory.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #42
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

^^ My FAN shuts off immediately when I turned OFF AC. So something with AC this FAN keeps running while AC is ON, when AC is OFF the FAN shuts OFF.

The FAN also suppose to Run to cool Radiator but I never observed it running may be its not needed and Engine is Cool enough.
      07-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #43
brake-fade
Private
Rep

I think, but am not positive, the fan relay issue will cause the fan to run long after the engine has been shut off, car locked up and put away and your sound asleep in bed...In other words, it drains your battery. Takes on a mind of it's own...becomes Hal if you will.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #44
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

^^ That is correct if the Fan Relay get Stuck in some mode like closed and keep sending the Signal to the FAN that it needs to Run High and even when the Car is Shut OFF the FAN will keep running through the 12v Battery. It did happened to one of the poster and he finds out that his Relay was Stuck and once he Reset it or replace it the problem went away.

I think in our case the Relays or FSU on the FAN are gone bad and when AC is ON the FAN runs High since he is not getting any indication of what to do and by Default it might be programmed to run High from the DME.. just another theory :-)