BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #23
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
I actually had my revozport hood installed for a week before I installed the pins for the radiator support. I took it to 100mph and lift wAs minimal. My old voorsteiner lifted much more.

And Cooler2442 nailed it on why aluminum would be more expensive. There is a company that makes mold on power domes. You graph them on ur stock OEM hood.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #24
Curare86
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I believe duke dynamics is coming out with a 1m cosmetic package in the next couple of weeks. The hood has the powerdome if thats your thing, though personally I love the revozport look and thats what Ive got!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #25
css008
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
like yourself wouldn't want the aero catches, i do run them on my track car but never been a fan on road cars, so another option that could work, the aero catches are also available in a flush form and are fully paintable, so they could be easily blended in should you be wanting the bonnet painted.
Food for thought!
That's a great suggestion! Definitely want to avoid aerocatches if I can. Do you know if it can blend better than the image below?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #26
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by css008 View Post
That's a great suggestion! Definitely want to avoid aerocatches if I can. Do you know if it can blend better than the image below?
If you paint them they will blend better. Before i had my pins drilled, I took my car around 100mph and had no issues with excessive lift with the revozport hood. My old vorsteiner hood used to lift a lot though.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #27
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
so basically all of them will come with the aero catches..
what about the OEM hood will it lift on 70mpph?
It doesn't lift till around 170 mph (270+ km/h), that I know for sure...Dackel had the information that BMW engineers believe it can not be regarded safe after 280 km/h real speed which means only highly tuned and at the same time de-limited 1Ms should worry about the single latch of the OEM hood. At those speeds there are other issues to worry too!

At 70 mph I think this bunker style steel hood doesn't even feel the wind.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #28
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

I say get the aero catch , but in the end its up to you.
Do it if you want and don't if you don't want to/don't like it, just know there is a risk.

... freaking youtube vids never work for me
[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q61s45vH1jQ[/u2b]

before

after

L1MTD

Last edited by DooBs; 06-05-2013 at 01:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 02:52 AM   #29
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by css008 View Post
Flush 225 series would be the way to go, and have em painted with the bonnet to match. No need for the key lockable as you will keep the main latch mech.

http://www.aerocatch.com/aerocatch2
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #30
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

well after hearing thoughts and comments, i think i'm going to get aero catch...
but then i'm still considering to save up for brembo.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #31
DSCPLN
BMW 1M
United_States
Rep
Drives: McLaren 600LT

I've been contemplating this upgrade for the longest time.. more so than the Akropovic Exhaust or big brake upgrade. but I'm so worried about the consequences of the car not looking as OEM. Although, just as "ilikebmxbikes" had pointed out.. Revozport's hood looks like what the 1M should have came with from the factory.

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #32
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCPLN View Post
I've been contemplating this upgrade for the longest time.. more so than the Akropovic Exhaust or big brake upgrade. but I'm so worried about the consequences of the car not looking as OEM. Although, just as "ilikebmxbikes" had pointed out.. Revozport's hood looks like what the 1M should have came with from the factory.

What do you guys think?
This hood looks and feels pretty OEM especially when painted. It works with what your car already has instead of adding too much and the vents are pretty subtle. The only other hood that looks OEM would be the slek with the powerdome, but that hood doesn't have vents. I personally don't like powerdomes and think the Revozport is the best.

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #33
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

well personally it looks very OEM to me, but the aero catches change the game... it sets the car racing look to a very high standard and perhaps a hardcore racer.

though on BBK, i always find it the simple and logic way, when M3 is heavier and bigger than our cars, it has the exactly same brakes with us, me wishing for brembo upgrade is more to the aesthetic rather than true performance, i dont have any tracks here in my town, nearest track's 30 hours away.. not funny.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #34
DSCPLN
BMW 1M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
This hood looks and feels pretty OEM especially when painted. It works with what your car already has instead of adding too much and the vents are pretty subtle. The only other hood that looks OEM would be the slek with the powerdome, but that hood doesn't have vents. I personally don't like powerdomes and think the Revozport is the best.
Have you considered painting the black plastic clips in front of the vents to AW? What is the functional purpose for those 2 pieces?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #35
Sheil
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Prevents the hood from lifting at high speeds by attaching to a pin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCPLN View Post
Have you considered painting the black plastic clips in front of the vents to AW? What is the functional purpose for those 2 pieces?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #36
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K
well personally it looks very OEM to me, but the aero catches change the game... it sets the car racing look to a very high standard and perhaps a hardcore racer.

though on BBK, i always find it the simple and logic way, when M3 is heavier and bigger than our cars, it has the exactly same brakes with us, me wishing for brembo upgrade is more to the aesthetic rather than true performance, i dont have any tracks here in my town, nearest track's 30 hours away.. not funny.
A BBK is a performance upgrade above a cosmetic one. Many people who track their M3's at a minimum upgrade their pads or their brake kit entirely.

The hood is much cheaper than any BBK out there.

If it is one or the other and u don't track- get the hood first. If u track, get the BBK first as the brakes will be an improvement you will feel much more than 23lbs weight savings and vents.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #37
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCPLN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
Sheil nailed it on the aero catch function.

I thought about painting them but later decided not to (and Einser M talked me out of it). The car already has a lot of black details and is pretty aggressive so the black catches blend in well.

They are a very functional piece and I personally think they look good and are justified on any carbon fiber hood equipped car that is modified at any level.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #38
DSCPLN
BMW 1M
United_States
Rep

Wow, I did a terrible job following the conversation of the thread and blending the aero catch before I asked lol. Thanks for your response. And by the way, very very impressive 1M conversion on your 135i! Looks great!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #39
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

surprisingly, i even might go with the KW V3 first.. since i really realize that the 1M brakes are enough for now.. (with no frequent trackdays / never? )
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #40
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

The revozport hood looks really good in person. But here's another option if you have a good body shop and want to keep the oem hood.

http://www.schmiedmann.com/1_series/...ge7.htm#paging
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #41
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberschnell
The revozport hood looks really good in person. But here's another option if you have a good body shop and want to keep the oem hood.

That was the thing I was referring to in an earlier post. The shape looks right.

It would be for pure aesthetics as it would be adding weight. I don't like that it has the m3 intake vents, as they would be fake.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 02:05 AM   #42
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberschnell View Post

making it even heavier? not the point.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 02:41 AM   #43
brownie815
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E82 1M

Does any one ever think about to cut out the holes and insert the air ducts on the stock hood for heat ventilation purpose? Is it an easy task?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #44
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
making it even heavier? not the point.
Yeah, well I get the sense you've never owned carbon fiber hood or trunk. If you want oem fitment without lift then you need a metal hood. +CF panels are delicate and will crack over time due to vibration and use, so you also get better longevity.

It's just an option, and surprise - you don't have to buy it
Appreciate 0