03-16-2017, 12:43 AM   #23
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win View Post
As a Canadian who went through the experience of importing a CDN car to the state of California during the late 90's, I've told my friends NEVER to f'n do it again. So not worth the hassle but this is for Cali - a nanny state, not sure how other states deal with out of country imports. It was for my Integra Type-R at the time. After all said and done, I wouldn't do it again.... so as a 1M owner now, as I read this thread... I have doubts if it's worth it (including falling in love with a 1M)... it's about patience I guess to find "the one" but even in my case the chase for 1M is a big part of an owners story.

Yes it's relatively ok to import a car from Canada but it's "work"
Yes, it took patience and I agree that importing a Canadian car to California merits a badge of honor! : )

With that said, in the 90s cars were different in 49 states from California. What makes the 1M a little easier is that it comes from the factory with a US EPA AND CALIFORNIA AIR RESOURCES BOARD certification under the hood! Canadian 1Ms have them, which really helps. When I crossed into the US and Customs was inspecting the car, they were looking for a bit then all of sudden a guy yells out..."Joe, it has an US EPA sticker....ALL GOOD!"

Same when registering at DMV, the guy noticed the decal too.

The SMOG test was a non-event and the hardest part was that they took close to 3 months to issue me plates. They did give me a temporary permit, but I couldn't get a bank loan on it until it was registered with tags.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #24
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Just wanting to report that my formerly Canadian 1M did finally get its airbag replaced, last Friday. This is not a comment on the general process of getting new driver's side airbags for 1Ms, or 1-Series cars in general, but rather on the ordeal required to get a Canadian car recognized in the USA and to get the airbag recall done. Once BMW of the USA acknowledged that I was due a new airbag under the US and Canadian recalls, they decided to expedite the delivery of the part to my dealer so that I would not get lost in the system, again. I believe the same thing happened with Nacho's 1M.

So, my 1M now sports a new airbag, finally, the deed is done. My other two, 1-Series cars are waiting patiently in the queue.
Appreciate 3
nachob2307.00
///BYU268.50
FIRSTM143.50
      11-28-2018, 06:29 PM   #25
M_Thrizzle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: VO 1M; E46 ///M3

Do Canadian 1M's get a gas guzzler tax assessment on importation to the US? I read that cars that get under 22 mpg combined can be assessed per the Internal Revenue Code. I looked it up and at 21.4 mpg the 1M would have a $1300 tax.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #26
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Thrizzle View Post
Do Canadian 1M's get a gas guzzler tax assessment on importation to the US? I read that cars that get under 22 mpg combined can be assessed per the Internal Revenue Code. I looked it up and at 21.4 mpg the 1M would have a $1300 tax.
Never heard of that. I didn't get that and don't know if anyone that has. I think the 1M combined was 22 or more.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 09:12 AM   #27
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Thanks nachob!

I think you can certainly find great value in doing that. However, I suspect many potential buyers don't want to go through the hassle and time of coordinating all that is required.

I think it's pretty cool to have in Km like the German's as well

Oh, and I agree we should sticky this post for future buyers who want to reference this good info and sync with forum members with questions!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #28
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
Thanks nachob!

I think you can certainly find great value in doing that. However, I suspect many potential buyers don't want to go through the hassle and time of coordinating all that is required.

I think it's pretty cool to have in Km like the German's as well

Oh, and I agree we should sticky this post for future buyers who want to reference this good info and sync with forum members with questions!!!
Yes it was a lot of coordinating when I did it. Others that came after have had an easier time with the importing. In my case I really wanted a non nav stripper and was having a difficult time finding one with right mileage, not tracked or modified etc. Canada had more no nav cars than US. But once all the work is done there is little to fear. They are basically the same as the US cars except for the KM speedo which I like. I agree it's not worth the hassle to many to import but what motivated me to write this post was the aforementioned post where someone passed up a perfect 1M solely because they feared that it was Canadian. Maybe they feared that it wasn't smog legal etc but they are built and certified to meet US and CARB standards and there is an EPA and carb decal under the hood . So once registered in the US they are fully compliant cars unless someone modified them. I also wondered at first if they were built the same and if parts ordering were an issue but it's not they are basically a US spec car. Thank you and best wishes.
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1206.00
      12-02-2018, 04:44 PM   #29
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Don't fear us, we are your friends
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 11:16 PM   #30
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
Don't fear us, we are your friends
eh?
      12-21-2022, 01:36 PM   #31
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Speaking of which, there's a low mileage AW 1M for sale in Vancouver Canada if anyone is looking. About $73k usd at today's rate with under 24k miles.

https://www.classicgarage.ca/listing/2011-bmw-1m/
      02-09-2023, 09:21 AM   #32
EdgyE36
Wisdom Searcher
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 and E46 M3

Good thread. Waking up to ask simple question in case I'm ever in situation. What's the best/easiest/safest way to send money when buying Canadian car? TIA.
      02-09-2023, 11:14 AM   #33
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgyE36 View Post
Good thread. Waking up to ask simple question in case I'm ever in situation. What's the best/easiest/safest way to send money when buying Canadian car? TIA.
International wire is the best. What I did was went to inspect the car, met the owner in the morning and when satisfied, did an international wire from US bank to Canadian bank. The exchange rates vary by bank so do some research as a small change in the exchange rate, can mean $500-$1000 eaten up. The money arrived the next day and we did the transaction of title etc. Some Canadians have US Bank accounts and you can wire money there. Another thing I did is because the exchange rate is variable, I estimated to send a little less money than the total, then gave the seller the difference in cash which was about $1000 USD. It's a pain in the in the butt finding and coordinating it. You might also try to organize this with the seller's bank as well. I do that in the US a lot where you meet at the bank that holds the title or where the seller banks at and coordinate it with a third party also. I hope that helps.
Appreciate 2
EdgyE3658.00
Nkc1600.50