BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-28-2019, 11:23 AM   #1
smi2710
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 325xi

novice planning for first track day

Hey guys
so im planning for my first track day coming up in april with my newly aquired 135i. what preparations should i make to the car before hand?

things on list that i have to get done before hand i know are
brake fluid flush - have fluid
coolant flush
fix my OFGH slight leak - have parts
install my new sport suspension to replace the my tired setup

tires are good but on the stock staggered setup
brakes are good was thinking of just getting a set of track pads for track days and across events ?

car does have upgrades 5"FMIC, CP and tial bov, downpip3$ DCi's and BMS catchcan followed with a JB4 but i need to ad a BEF was considering MHD

all advice will be greatly appreciated

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:44 PM   #2
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by smi2710 View Post
Hey guys
so im planning for my first track day coming up in april with my newly aquired 135i. what preparations should i make to the car before hand?

coolant flush

brakes are good was thinking of just getting a set of track pads for track days and across events ?

car does have upgrades 5"FMIC, CP and tial bov, downpip3$ DCi's and BMS catchcan followed with a JB4 but i need to ad a BEF was considering MHD

thanks
Sun tan lotion, water, food, a chair, and have fun. Honestly... entry level HPDE days aren't wheel to wheel racing. Go out and have some fun. Check condition of safety items: tires, brakes, fluid (overfill the oil 1/2qt and change the brake fluid), etc. Most clubs are going to have a tech sheet for you to follow... First time out at any track should be spent learning the track not driving balls to the walls.
Appreciate 2
      03-01-2019, 04:48 PM   #3
beattiecj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

You will eventually need to get a set of camber plates. Not sure how hard you will drive the car but after 2-3 track days your front tires will have significant wear from not having enough negative camber. (Learned the hard way)

Ground Control, Vorschlag make decent ones that are adjustable and Dinan makes a cheaper fixed version.

Def get track pads I use carbotech XP10 up front and xp8 in the rear great pad and you can drive on the street with these, you will sound like a bus though.

Otherwise enjoy looks like you have everything else.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 07:57 PM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Quote:
Hey guys

coolant flush

thanks
Sun tan lotion, water, food, a chair, and have fun. Honestly... entry level HPDE days aren't wheel to wheel racing. Go out and have some fun. Check condition of safety items: tires, brakes, fluid (overfill the oil 1/2qt and change the brake fluid), etc. Most clubs are going to have a tech sheet for you to follow... First time out at any track should be spent learning the track not driving balls to the walls.
Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys

coolant flush

thanks
This.

This exactly.

Worry less about the car, and more about yourself. Get a good nights sleep, well hydrated, and enjoy the day. The less power you have the better.

Oh, and have fresh brake fluid.
Appreciate 2
bbnks21206.50
      03-02-2019, 12:19 PM   #5
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Quote:
Yes, exactly this. The only thing I might add is too add 3 psi tire pressure to tires. And, you should have a torque wrench (and deep socket) eventually but can possibly borrow one for this first event.
Appreciate 1
bbnks21206.50
      03-05-2019, 11:16 AM   #6
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Definitely bring a chair, sunscreen, cash for food and drink (if the track has concessions), and common tools to make sure your lug bolts are staying tight.

What you have is perfect for your first two or three weekends. Learn the car's tendencies and weaknesses and fix them one by one. When you get dragged into the fun (you certainly will), then you can start worrying about real track-oriented mods (brake pads, camber plates, LSD, etc.). Good tires should be your first modification. Period.
bbnks21206.50
      03-07-2019, 08:33 AM   #7
smi2710
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Definitely bring a chair, sunscreen, cash for food and drink (if the track has concessions), and common tools to make sure your lug bolts are staying tight.

What you have is perfect for your first two or three weekends. Learn the car's tendencies and weaknesses and fix them one by one. When you get dragged into the fun (you certainly will), then you can start worrying about real track-oriented mods (brake pads, camber plates, LSD, etc.). Good tires should be your first modification. Period.
Thanks guys for all the feedback !!
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #8
CivicDuty
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Go pro or similar and an app like TrackAddict or Harry's Lap Timer. A good stable windshield mount for your phone if you get one of the apps.

Even though your first experience should be about learning the car, driving lines and traffic awareness, recording your day is fun and lets you really see your progress!!!

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 01:53 PM   #9
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

Lots of good advice. I'll give my bullet version...

1. Car in good mechanical condition. No leaks. Everything topped off.
2. Tires in good condition.
3. Brakes have at least half life. Stock pads fine.
4. Fresh brake fluid. Doesn't have to be hi temp on first day.
5. Forego a tune. You will have plenty of power stock on day 1.
6. Be in good mental and physical condition... adequate rest, hydrated. Have a "willing to learn" attitude.
7. Get a torque wrench. Check wheel bolt torque before every session.
8. Don't try to be fast. Try to be smooth, in control and learn how your car behaves.
9. Purposefully decide to back off to 90% on the last session and just enjoy driving and practicing what you have learned. Too many people make significant mistakes on their last session because they are fatigued and are trying too hard to get their "fastest lap of the day" because it's the last session.

After your first day, if you are going to keep doing it, I recommend your first upgrade be a second set of wheels and grippier tires. Otherwise you will trash your front street tires rapidly.

GLHF!
Appreciate 3
lakefront560.50
John_01232.00
      03-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #10
smi2710
Private
Rep

Thanks guys

also the the pre track inspection is this something that is okay for me to check off or does it have to be done by a shop for BMWCCA events?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 12:16 PM   #11
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Your BMW people may do things differently (they should spell out everything well) but "track" inspection is usually done and signed off by licensed mechanic. "At the track" inspection takes your inspection form, makes sure helmut has proper safety rating and there are no loose objects anywhere in car. May also check tires to confirm same tires as when mechanic did their inspection. Mechanic may allow you to do brake fluid flush since without it, a mechanic can do inspection in 10-20 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #12
mderienzo
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

Quote:
Thanks guys

also the the pre track inspection is this something that is okay for me to check off or does it have to be done by a shop for BMWCCA events?
Every organization handles pre-event inspection differently. I PM'd you a link to the NJ BMW CCA Tech FAQ since you are attending their event.

See you at the track!

Mark
2008 128i
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 09:16 PM   #13
Relegate
Track Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 2013 X5 35d

Let me tell ya, the JB4 is great and provides a host of f safety features to give you piece of mind. The rest has been said. HPDE is more of a long game than a sprint. It will take time to get the car and driver in sync and the right upgrades installed if you get heavy into it.

What suspension are you planning on running since you mentioned it.

If you want more things to watch out for let me know. I run my 135i pretty often at the track.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 09:20 PM   #14
smi2710
Private
Rep

After I got the ore tech inspection. I found my thrust bushings and rear shocks were no good so I ordered up the m3!thrust arms to replace them and a bilstein b12 prokit I also went ahead got white line rear subframe inserts. This combo should make lil improvement
Appreciate 0