BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-17-2019, 12:08 AM   #1
dojk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Steering Lock Fault. Coding to fix.

Hi All,

A few months back, my E82 had the fault showing on the screen, it was the red with the steering wheel with the pad lock.

I took it to my workshop and they reset the the ELV counter which fixed it. Yesterday it came back.

During the first fiasco, the official BMW fix was to replace the settring column with a new item, which coincidentally does not have a steering lock. Seems 2010 onwards BMW decided that it was not a required item.

So moving forward, instead of replacing the old steering column (with the faulty steering lock mechanism) to a brand now steering column (with no steering lock mechanism) seemed like a reduntant thing to do.

Instead, can I keep my existing steering column, remove the steering lock mechanism and have the workshop code in the 'code' which would come together with that new steering column. Making this car think that I actually have replaced the entire steering column?

If this can work, what code do I need to do this?

TIA.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 07:52 PM   #2
RCP1
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper R56

Did you find a solution to this, I have the same problem. Thanks
Appreciate 0