BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #23
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Porsche's electronic steering may be way ahead of BMW's terrible electric steering these days---but even the best Porsche electronic steering racks are woeful compared to the hydraulic racks.

Yes Porsche hydraulic racks were great, but BMW's good hydraulic racks are MILES ahead of the best Porsche electronic steering.

I have driven a few 991s and was pretty disappointed in their lack of feel, how large they felt (for a Porsche), and how they tried to become luxury rather than sport. MUCH preferred the 993, 996s, and 997s i've driven. I hope the 992 is a big step forward because the 991 was not a positive transition, IMO.

The last time i drove a Cayman GTS and a 991 Targa; i got back into my 1M and the steering felt GLORIOUS. no comparison to the electronic racks.
I don’t agree. I do agree Porsche hydraulic is better than their electric but I’d take Porsche’s current electric over BMW hydraulic which absolutely never came even close to Porsche’s hydraulic. I don’t think there was ever a better steering rack than a 997 GT car.

As someone who has owned both 991.1 and 991.2, Porsche makes iterations and their current EPS is fantastic if you ask me. Again, I do think it is better than BMWs hydraulic (which BMW was never that good in the steering feel deptarment anyway). BMW electric is downright pitiful...

Last edited by Funf6cyl; 01-14-2019 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 12:12 PM   #24
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
I would put the 1M steering above any Porsche offering for my tastes. I love the 1M steering. It is sublime, IMO.

This Summer I drove 991.1 GT3, 987 Cayman S, 991.2 GTS, 991.2 T, 718 GTS, 718 S.

The 718 S was over a 2day period for 250 miles. It did not have PASM, but was a manual.

After driving these cars, I think Porsche has the best EPS steering going and it is not close.
I’ve spent a lot of time in the 1M and as I said above, not even close to Porsche’s hydraulic racks and I’d also take their current EPS over it any day.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 12:28 PM   #25
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_DM View Post
991.2 GT3 here.

I've driven the S and T in an attempt to persuade myself against the GT3 (failed, obviously) and they're fantastic cars.

I actually think the PEC LA track doesn't do any of these cars justice. It's a somewhat neutered track (by design) and you really can't get the full feel of these cars. With that said, all of the 991 gen 911s are incredible and I would take the T or S over my old M4 in a heartbeat.

Here are my thoughts on your concerns:

Price: Fair, but everything in this world is pay-to-play. I think a CPO S is actually a great deal (heck, even look at a GTS maybe). If you look at CPO prices compared to depreciation in the next 3-4 years of ownership the opportunity cost isn't that bad (yes these cars depreciate but not like a current gen M car, especially if you're smart and just go CPO).

lack of practicality: These cars are plenty practical as long as you don't need to put people in the back seat (small kids and dogs, fine. I put my dog in the GT3 without a problem) and don't need to transport anything larger than a carry-on suitcase.

attention: Meh honestly most 911s don't get a ton of attention but I guess that depends where you live. In California, most 911s won't turn a single head but that's part of the appeal to me (if I was an attention whore I'd be in a lambo).

low front end: Also fair, but just make sure you find a car with the Front Axel Lift option. My GT3 is manageable with the lift (key word is manageable, I still scrape maybe every-other drive, but the lips on these cars are basically disposable). I scraped almost as much in my M4 with full lip. I'd imagine an S or T would be even more manageable.
Front axle lift is a semi rare option, unfortunately. The amount of fitting options cars without the lift shouldn't stop people. Techart offers one that lifts almost twice the height. Finding a TechArt installer or qualified shop is up to the buyer. Their warranted Powerkit in a T would make a great package. Exhaust too...
Time to get deals on the 911's is now.
I would feel comfortable asking for 10% off any of the non GT versions. It might be even more but I'm not up to date on what the stores may have/trunk money.
      01-14-2019, 02:25 PM   #26
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
I’ve spent a lot of time in the 1M and as I said above, not even close to Porsche’s hydraulic racks and I’d also take their current EPS over it any day.
Everyone likes what they like. I love it (1M steering). Weighted perfectly for my taste. The ratio is perfect for my taste. Turn-in is perfect for my taste. Probably not a better front engine setup that I have ever driven, but I do like the weighty feel of the rack.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 09:30 PM   #27
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
The OP asked what a 911's like to live with, so here's my take.
You are right - more attention, even my 'old' 911 in silver gets a few more looks than my YMB M4. Interestingly more looks from the ladies - guys tend to look at the M4 more.
You will find that you are scraping the front a bit more, as the front overhang is more than in most BMW's. If you can find one that's got the option for the front lift to get over speed humps - that's the way to go.

Seats are great - more comfortable than they look. However, it might be personal preference, I personally know someone that moved out of a Porsche Macan GTS to an F80 M3 as he found the seats in the Porsche weren't as comfortable.

In terms of size, they are smaller, lighter and lower than F8x, so that's all good, unless you need the space. I love the fact that the 911's lower.
Being narrower, it's easier to park.

Only negative with the lower smaller size, is that people may not see you coming - I've had that happen far more often than in the blue M4.

@seis-speed - looks like you have a 1M, F80, Focus RS - so which one will you replace, or are you looking for an additional toy?
Reason I ask, is that 991.2's are turbo and so are all your existing cars. Perhaps look at the 991.1 which has the direct injection NA motor.
Or, if you like the hydraulic steering, then go for a 997.2, which has the same NA motor of the 991.1, but it's also lighter.

I initially was shopping for a 991, but when 997 route, as I wanted something that felt more like the 911's of old.
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2426.00
      01-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #28
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmQuattro View Post
The OP asked what a 911's like to live with, so here's my take.
You are right - more attention, even my 'old' 911 in silver gets a few more looks than my YMB M4. Interestingly more looks from the ladies - guys tend to look at the M4 more.
You will find that you are scraping the front a bit more, as the front overhang is more than in most BMW's. If you can find one that's got the option for the front lift to get over speed humps - that's the way to go.

Seats are great - more comfortable than they look. However, it might be personal preference, I personally know someone that moved out of a Porsche Macan GTS to an F80 M3 as he found the seats in the Porsche weren't as comfortable.

In terms of size, they are smaller, lighter and lower than F8x, so that's all good, unless you need the space. I love the fact that the 911's lower.
Being narrower, it's easier to park.

Only negative with the lower smaller size, is that people may not see you coming - I've had that happen far more often than in the blue M4.

@seis-speed - looks like you have a 1M, F80, Focus RS - so which one will you replace, or are you looking for an additional toy?
Reason I ask, is that 991.2's are turbo and so are all your existing cars. Perhaps look at the 991.1 which has the direct injection NA motor.
Or, if you like the hydraulic steering, then go for a 997.2, which has the same NA motor of the 991.1, but it's also lighter.

I initially was shopping for a 991, but when 997 route, as I wanted something that felt more like the 911's of old.
Thanks for response.

Fist off I have three kids. That is a huge factor in my love for the F80 and The Focus. I take my two oldest everywhere in the cars. Long family road trips are done in the F80 and it has been great.

I got the Porsche bug the past year, so been trying to justify the move to a car that is a two-seater, with occasional overflow to the rear for my little ones. I enjoy the low nature of the car, it feels like a go-cart. I first really liked the 718 Cayman, but the nostalgia of the 911 kept my attention.

The 'price-wall' was my first hurdle, I can pay it, but wow, that is a lot to spend on a car. The other two: The attention factor. One thing I love about Mcars, I just blend in. Lastly, it better be really good to not have room for the family.

I decided on a Carrera T and was zeroed in getting one with Euro Delivery, but I have hesitated, due to the above issues......I am not sure I can justify it.

I would let the Focus or F80 go, probably the F80. I need an AWD car for taking kids skiing. I have done it with RWD, but prefer AWD.

As many here, I have a car addiction..... so I have different scenarios.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 07:53 PM   #29
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Thanks for response.

Fist off I have three kids. That is a huge factor in my love for the F80 and The Focus. I take my two oldest everywhere in the cars. Long family road trips are done in the F80 and it has been great.

I got the Porsche bug the past year, so been trying to justify the move to a car that is a two-seater, with occasional overflow to the rear for my little ones. I enjoy the low nature of the car, it feels like a go-cart. I first really liked the 718 Cayman, but the nostalgia of the 911 kept my attention.

The 'price-wall' was my first hurdle, I can pay it, but wow, that is a lot to spend on a car. The other two: The attention factor. One thing I love about Mcars, I just blend in. Lastly, it better be really good to not have room for the family.

I decided on a Carrera T and was zeroed in getting one with Euro Delivery, but I have hesitated, due to the above issues......I am not sure I can justify it.

I would let the Focus or F80 go, probably the F80. I need an AWD car for taking kids skiing. I have done it with RWD, but prefer AWD.

As many here, I have a car addiction..... so I have different scenarios.
If you need some help securing a car (should you decide) shoot me a message.

As far as the driving experience, very much worth every penny and IMO are one of the few cars I’ve owned or driven where I can justify in good conscience the price.
Appreciate 0