BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
vincentimes.69
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i - convertible

135i E88 Suspension and Control Arms Replacement procedure ?

Hello, I searched the forum intensively but haven't found my answers.

Here is my dilemma: I want to replace my 2008 135i convertible 112,000mi suspension components: struts, shocks and various control arm bushings. I only found topics on how to upgrade to performance components, but I'm super boring and prefer to stick to OEM quality parts.

For laziness reasons, I'm looking at "ready to install strut assemblies" and replacing the control arms entirely rather than extracting the bushings.

So far I have identified the Gabriel G57363 & G57364 strut assemblies and various front/rear control arms.

Questions:
  • Is it easier to replace the arms rather than extracting the bushings?
  • Where can I find the various procedures for all that? (video, pdf, etc.)
  • Do I need special tools?
  • Any detailed diagrams available with torque specs?
  • I am on the wrong path? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #2
vincentimes.69
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i - convertible

Also, will I need to redo the alignment if I only replace the struts?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #3
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

My two cents worth...

You probably won't be real happy with that setup for a few reasons. One is quality is maybe not up to a high standard. Even if you're willing to take a chance on quality, your car may end up sitting very low. If the assembly is a one size fits all (i.e. 128i coupe to 135i E88) the springs may be too soft for a car as heavy as yours.

If your springs are in good condition (you don't live in the snow belt where roads are salted often) an option would be buy bilstein B4's and use your existing springs. In that case you should renew the mounting hardware.
This will certainly be more expensive than the Gabriel assemblies. It's just a matter of how much you want to spend vs taking a chance on the Gabriels.

If you do the Gabriel's - definitely get an alignment. If you go with a Bilstein or similar option, it's more of a probably yes.