BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #23
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboXI View Post
My car did not start a few weeks back and the culprit was a bad battery. I called BMW roadside and they towed it to the dealer. Dealer replaced the battery under warranty at no charge. The strange part of this all was my ECU apparently said the car had only been driven 100 miles in the past 30 days and my SA claimed this wasn't enough to keep the battery charged. I drive my 135 about 1200 miles/month.
THIS is exactly my same situation! I was also told the ECU kept randomly turning on for 5 or 10 mins over the weekend. While it was parked. I explained to them to them I drive close to 500 miles a week in this thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #24
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm3 View Post
Some years ago on my way to work I stopped to get a coffee. I was in the place for maybe 3 minutes and then the car wouldn't start. The radio and gauges were dead. Car would not take a jump. How could this happen when 3 minutes earlier it was running fine? This was maybe a 2-year old car.

Had it towed to the dealer and it turned out the battery had an internal short in it. They replaced under warranty and all way fine.

So batteries don't always die because they are old or because you don't use them enough (that's a pretty lame excuse IMO). Sometimes they are just defective.
This is similar to what happened when mine died. I drove home from work, changed clothes got back into my car to go out to dinner and the car didn't start. Was only in my house for about ten minutes.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #25
BallisticRedRaider
The Ballistic Red Raider
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Had Same Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken View Post
Anyone have advice? Dealership called back. Unfavorable Driving is the result of the dead battery... After sitting for a couple days??? I can understand 3-4 weeks but after a couple days come on!

Trying to get me to install a new battery and programming out of pocket. Told them to have the service manager give me a call back. Am I in the wrong here?

What should I do?
I had this exact same situation happen to me about a month ago. My 135 is under warranty until the end of September. I got in my car at 5pm to leave work and everything was great. Got home and did the normal shutdown. Wife and I left to go to dinner at 6:30pm and all of the car's electronics went crazy. Lights flashing, wipers going and then dying, weird noises, etc.

Called the dealer in the morning and they said to bring it in. Took 20 mins to jump the car and then dropped it off. They ran their diagnostics (did not threaten to charge me for it) and came back with "Unfavorable driving conditions when stationary." WTF does that mean? All dealer could say was that I was doing something while the car was sitting. Then they tried claiming that I don't drive enough miles per year. I drive about 10k so I don't think that was the issue so I asked how many miles per year that I need to drive to avoid early battery degradation. Never received a response from the dealer or BMWNA when I called them.

Anyway, dealer said they would talk with BMWNA and try and get them to cover the battery. They toyed with me for 3 days and finally said they would they would cover the battery under warranty. Dealer would have charged me $550 for a new battery and the coding for a car still under warranty and no evidence I had done anything (which I hadn't).

You just have to be persistent with the dealer and BMWNA otherwise you will be out $550 for something they should cover. I was getting really mad when they would point fingers at each other over who's decision it was to cover the fix, but you just have to stay calm and stand up for yourself.

Hope it gets worked out in your favor!

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #26
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticRedRaider View Post
I had this exact same situation happen to me about a month ago. My 135 is under warranty until the end of September. I got in my car at 5pm to leave work and everything was great. Got home and did the normal shutdown. Wife and I left to go to dinner at 6:30pm and all of the car's electronics went crazy. Lights flashing, wipers going and then dying, weird noises, etc.

Called the dealer in the morning and they said to bring it in. Took 20 mins to jump the car and then dropped it off. They ran their diagnostics (did not threaten to charge me for it) and came back with "Unfavorable driving conditions when stationary." WTF does that mean? All dealer could say was that I was doing something while the car was sitting. Then they tried claiming that I don't drive enough miles per year. I drive about 10k so I don't think that was the issue so I asked how many miles per year that I need to drive to avoid early battery degradation. Never received a response from the dealer or BMWNA when I called them.

Anyway, dealer said they would talk with BMWNA and try and get them to cover the battery. They toyed with me for 3 days and finally said they would they would cover the battery under warranty. Dealer would have charged me $550 for a new battery and the coding for a car still under warranty and no evidence I had done anything (which I hadn't).

You just have to be persistent with the dealer and BMWNA otherwise you will be out $550 for something they should cover. I was getting really mad when they would point fingers at each other over who's decision it was to cover the fix, but you just have to stay calm and stand up for yourself.

Hope it gets worked out in your favor!
Thanks for the info. Im being patient with them. Hopefully with all these other reports BMW NA will wont give me trouble. Highly doubt it tho
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2014, 11:25 AM   #27
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

There is a federal law that governs warranties in the U. S. called Magnuson Moss. You might want to google it. It controls the ability of a manufacturer to disclaim warranty responsibility. They need to be able to prove that you did something to cause the failure of the battery. If they want to claim infrequent use of the vehicle, I think they would need a disclaimer in the owners manual or something. You might want to do a little research and try mixing in terminology from this law and also mention small claims court in your discussions. That would be a hassle but you could pay them, noting all rights reserved on the work order, and file suit in small claims to recover your money. BMW will not want the publicity that could come from a suit over warranty coverage.

All dealerships also have "good will" dollars they can apply to something like this. So they have tools to "give in" but need to decide to use them.
      09-04-2014, 01:50 PM   #28
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Good news came back that BMW will cover it under warranty. Glad I fought it and got my self out of paying close to $600 for battery and diagnostics.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #29
TMR013
Opus Angelus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 Coupe

Wow! I can't believe the trouble you had with this. My battery died after about 3 years, not unusual in the Southwest heat. And even though the car was still under warranty, I really didn't expect the Dealer to cover it. They did. I didn't even have to ask.
Think you should try another Dealer if there is one in your area.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #30
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I have another data point on the "don't drive enough" argument dealers seem to make at times. I parked my 2009 128i for about 3 weeks due to work on our house. The builder parked a dumpster in the driveway and I couldn't get out. I have a SUV so I just drove that. I thought the battery might have been run down partially because the trunk wouldn't open. I went out last night to charge the battery because the dumpster is gone now. Before I hooked up the charger I tried starting it and it started right up. Started again this morning and drives normally. The trunk problem is I didn't hold the "top up" button quite long enough, apparently. It was blinking and when I gave it another couple seconds the trunk opened normally.

So a 5+ year old battery functioned fine after 3 weeks of no driving and also no charging. Cars should be able to do this.
      09-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #31
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR013 View Post
Wow! I can't believe the trouble you had with this. My battery died after about 3 years, not unusual in the Southwest heat. And even though the car was still under warranty, I really didn't expect the Dealer to cover it. They did. I didn't even have to ask.
Think you should try another Dealer if there is one in your area.
Yea unfortunately this dealership is the only One on the Eastern Shore of Maryland so I feel like they try to take advantage of this from their customers. I usually go to Passport in DC. They even killed my LUX angel eye and wanted me to buy a new OEM bulb from them for $116 luckily LUX has a 1 year warranty. In total they wanted to stick me with a $650+ bill that was all under warranty and tried to get me to buy new OEM Run-flats for $1,500. I don't want to call the dealership out but just avoid the only one in lower Delaware
Appreciate 0