BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-09-2020, 10:06 PM   #1
accomotors
Free Spirit Tattoo Racing
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i

Water Pump

Hey guys, is there any way to manually override the water pump when I have removed all the heater controls?
Suspect a faulty pump, wanted to test before going to the trouble of removing it.
Cheers.
SSO Handling and Storage
Penrite Oil
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 03:58 PM   #2
accomotors
Australia
Rep

So I managed to hotwire the pump manually using a battery and some wire. There is about a 3 second delay and then it fires right up. Same delay on all my spares when bench tested too.
My problem is that I don't think the whole cooling circuit is functioning correctly electrically. There is no pump action once the vehicle starts (no visible water from bleed hose into coolant tank), and once it is up to temp the fan fails to start and the temperature just climbs. I turn it off when it gets as high as I stomach letting it get (220 or so on my auxiliary gauge).
The thermo fan not working is mainly what makes me think the whole system is not functioning correctly.
Any thoughts from anybody?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 01:10 AM   #3
accomotors
Australia
Rep

So further to this problem. I swapped out the pump and thermostat, same problem. I swapped out the ECU, same problem. I hotwired the pump on by putting 12v to pin 1 and 2, and grounding pin 4. Fires right up all good. Started the car in this state (original wiring disconnected) and when the temp gets to 210, thermo fan starts up and then it just sits there at 210 forever.
So I'm thinking either a wiring problem with the signal wire to the pump (unlikely, new look to car from donor road car), or one of the temp sensors is faulty and not sending the right info to the ECU.
Otherwise I'm lost. Short of just putting a permanent hot wire on a switch on the dash, I don't know what to do.
SSO Handling and Storage
Penrite Oil
Appreciate 0