BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-31-2014, 09:00 AM   #45
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
My problem is long legs...plus, the 986 Boxster's configuration was such that with the firewall behind the seats, you could either move them back but have to sit bolt upright or scoot them forward a few inches so you could recline the seatback. Mine was a 1997, so they may have improved the firewall dimensions. A few inches more room would have made quite a difference in comfort for me.
I would suspect they have. No real expierence with the early Boxsters, but the current and just past gen fit me very well.
      06-10-2019, 08:21 AM   #46
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
Yea, but there is an IMS fix and you can find some that have had the motors replaced by Porsche.

I don't think they have many more problems than the 135i does, however total motor failures are much less common in the 135i even on highly tuned cars.

If I could do it all over again when I was searching for cars I'd buy the 135i each time. I've been hooked on turbo power since I bought my first car.

also loling at the cayman drivers responses as well
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it seems worth it, since people are likely still cross-shopping these cars.

There really isn’t a practical IMS fix for the 2006-2009 Cayman, because it requires cracking the engine case. The IMS bearing in this model is less likely to go, but it’s also harder to preemptively fix. Also, bore scoring, particularly in the S model, may be even more of a concern. Caveat emptor.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 09:31 AM   #47
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it seems worth it, since people are likely still cross-shopping these cars.

There really isn’t a practical IMS fix for the 2006-2009 Cayman, because it requires cracking the engine case. The IMS bearing in this model is less likely to go, but it’s also harder to preemptively fix. Also, bore scoring, particularly in the S model, may be even more of a concern. Caveat emptor.
As an owner of a E82 and 987.1 Cayman S when I saw this old turd of a thread I opened it. When I got to the IMS part I knew I would have to chime in to correct the interwebz bench racer expert "facts".

Thanks for setting them straignt even though it was five years after the "facts" were published.

So experts, since I dont track the Kman if i grenade the motor in my 128i, about how much will a junkyard get to pull out the carnage and install a sub 50k mile 3.0L NA motor?