BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-22-2022, 09:24 AM   #1
cometman
Rep
Drives: e82 coupe

E82 backup camera retrofit help

hello maybe someone can help me out with some ideas, i recently bought a backup camera kit from emtronika, that integrates into the cic-idrive and gives you dynamic lines and the usual camera integration into the trunk handle.

the problem is everything correctly assembled and i dont have any image in the idrive, just a blank screen and the dynamic lines and the vertical pdc wich i coded using icarly, from factory it was horizontal and full screen.

my e82 from 2009 is a is kind of a LCI version that already came with cic-idrive from factory.

some relevant specs of my e82:
-cic-idrive big screen
-harman kardon L7(retrofitted) came with hifi
-combox (retrofitted) had mulf+tcu
-usb+aux from factory

i assembled the backup camera kit that has the trunk handle camera, the emulator module and quad adapter for the radio. coded with icarly the vertical pdc and nothing else was coded because the seller told me it was not needed for this kit.

all was connected but cant get any image. this is what i get.

the only thing seller told me was since i had manual transmission i needed to conect the camera power to the reverse light to activate the camera, and have the dip setting on the emulator module set to on concering the manual camera activation which i did. this was the only thing not plug&play part of the hole kit.

Also worth to mention that the dynamic lines also appear and disappear randomly, sometimes i get the big car pdc in the midle of the screen whit the small car on the right and sometimes i get the dynamic lines that work but on top of a grey screen like the picture above.
even tried to pass a direct wire from the battery to the power of the camera and still shows the same.
checked all conections from the emulator module, everything is correct.
the seller says its a faulty camera, and sent me another camera to test, but i think its rather the module than the camera.
does anyone has other ideas? the camera conection is digital not rca analog so i cant test it with another video source.

i have led in the reverse lights and coded voltage check off so the leds dont flicker. but i believe it doesnt have anything to do with this.

also have low battery warnings since i have the original battery 11 years later still going. Some systems dont work because of this like start stop or follow me home , but still i dont believe this is related.

any thoughts or ideas?

Last edited by cometman; 02-24-2022 at 03:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 08:22 AM   #2
cometman
Rep

anyone?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 12:59 PM   #3
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I have a similar kit from Bimmertech. You can see my install write up as a sticky above. In general, these systems are indeed plug and play. It's weird that the dynamic lines are showing up but there is no video. This sort of tells me something is going on with the trunk handle camera. Just taking a stab in the dark, have you tried uncoding PDC to see if this changes anything? Does this system have PiP (picture in picture) capability? I don't think PiP will affect this as mine goes full screen. PiP only comes into play with one of the other inputs in the MMI box.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 04:49 AM   #4
cometman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I have a similar kit from Bimmertech. You can see my install write up as a sticky above. In general, these systems are indeed plug and play. It's weird that the dynamic lines are showing up but there is no video. This sort of tells me something is going on with the trunk handle camera. Just taking a stab in the dark, have you tried uncoding PDC to see if this changes anything? Does this system have PiP (picture in picture) capability? I don't think PiP will affect this as mine goes full screen. PiP only comes into play with one of the other inputs in the MMI box.
when you mean uncoding the vertical pdc is uncoding like i did in icarly? or code the pdc to not work at all using expert coding tools? i actually try reverting the pdc to stock horizontal but it messed up even more, it appears the horizontal big car pdc under the the grey screen and dynamic lines, it works better having the vertical pdc coded since i also had a dip setting on the emulator module stating i had vertical pdc.

i even test the camera directly into the emulator module without the wire extention that runs from back to front of the car, also connected the camera power directly to battery 12v to see if it did any difference but all the same.

dont know why but i think this could be a faulty emulator module since the i put the car in reverse and have a random behaviour of appearing the dynamic lines or nothing at all just like i had nothing connected just appears the pdc and the big car in the middle of the screen.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 12:20 PM   #5
mu2marc
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Don't Feel Bad

I bought the Emtronika for my ride also. After wiring everything, the main screen fails to turn on at all.
Checked all connections even swapped the video inputs around but nothing.

The Emtronika directions are wickedly incomplete. The MMI Box doesn't even label the Video INPUT/OUTPUT Jacks.
The dip switch guide is a complete joke, you will not be able to make sense of it.
I am assuming I got a bad module and have a request in to Emtronika.

Install time? The dash is still in pieces and it took 6 hours to get that far just to get a black display.

Guess I should have gone OEM!!!
Appreciate 0