BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-01-2021, 03:22 PM   #23
titanmaizter
Registered
Rep
Drives: E82 135I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone View Post
I have been looking hard at these for my E88 as well. Mostly the 10.25" top dash (cut a hole) are an option as the factory plate is not changed (are $450+) - but I also am leaning to the 9" ones - they appear to move down the climate control and have a provsion for the convertible top (and heated seats) buttons on the chin portion. See the pics below:

Look for the Chin bump highlighted below - I think that means it has this feature.

This is the one I thinking of getting from here (the F3 model):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...c00WCiUWW&mp=1

More pics:

Obviously there are many many different specifications - I chose the one I did as I will be using android auto mostly (want it built in), I want a AHD high res rear view camera to be able to be used (buy separately), The HD display (1280 x 720) to see the nice rear cam, The dynamic parking lines (which I now believe works on any of these with the Can Bus integration (necessary for the steering wheel controls (crossing my fingers here)), 8 core, android 10, at least 2 GB or RAM (this has 3 GB), and a cooling fan. The final cost will be about $235.03 plus $25 ahd rear handle camera from here (only need the 720p version as 1080P would be a waste on the screen): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3286...c00YKYIeN&mp=1

Should get here in about 2 weeks via DHL - there are other cheaper options that will take up to 6 weeks to get...

Good luck!
Installed this a couple days ago identical specs lol, couldnt be happier with it. If you dont get an installation manual like me: For some reason they didnt connect the remote wire to the amp into the big plug. So you need to splice the black wire in pin13 in the car harness into +ant or +key from the android player. Cheers

https://ibb.co/Sm5KT1h Pic of unit installed.

Last edited by titanmaizter; 11-01-2021 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: added url with image
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2021, 03:28 PM   #24
G3min1
Curious Gooner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanmaizter View Post
Installed this a couple days ago identical specs lol, couldnt be happier with it. If you dont get an installation manual like me: For some reason they didnt connect the remote wire to the amp into the big plug. So you need to splice the black wire in pin13 in the car harness into +ant or +key from the android player. Cheers

Looks good, is your JB4 Wired or connected via Bluetooth?

Also are your A/C controls secure or do they feel like they will pop out?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 03:42 PM   #25
titanmaizter
Registered
Rep
Drives: E82 135I

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3min1 View Post
Looks good, is your JB4 Wired or connected via Bluetooth?

Also are your A/C controls secure or do they feel like they will pop out?
JB4 is connected via bluetooth, protool via obd2 since they provide 2 usb connections.

The hole on the underside for seat warmer buttons was actually too small so had to expand it. Id say its secure enough since there are 2 plastic holders that you attach with screws that holds it in place. But again fitment is not amazing but for the price i dont complain.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 07:30 AM   #26
Syclone
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i E88 Cnvt Mblue

Hey you all - I bought this and installed it (see my earlier post) - then went with a 10.25" top of dash mount unit. Nothing wrong with this in dash unit, but it needed the optical encoder box to work with my logic 7/ HB factory system. - in My mind I do not recommend using an encoder - it trashed the sound badly and only worked sporadically. This is ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE Logic 7 Optical amp! Otherwise would recommend these units highly. - any way mine is for sale installed only for about a day...cost me 6 weeks of time to receive and $250 - you can buy it for $150. Up on ebay now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194494865027
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 07:43 AM   #27
Syclone
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i E88 Cnvt Mblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroptopE88 View Post
Syclone, I am looking at how to install carplay in a 2009 E88 without idrive - it looks like you were trying to do something similar, so I am curious how this installation went for you and if you were able to get a correct fit for the convertible controls?
Yes - It worked - as the poster above stated had to slightly open up the chin hole. Otherwise worked fine. Wireless or wired Carplay and wired android auto. You may be able to use Headunit Reloaded to run Wireless Android auto - I am using it on my 10.25 dash mount unit and it works "most" of the time without intervention on my Samsung S20 Ultra phone.

Just stay away if you have a optical amp from BMW in your system - the encoder boxes really suck and make your system sound very bad. Using the 10.25 unit keeps your stock BMW radio (which does an excellent job encoding the audio properly) and a blue tooth dongle through the Aux port. Sounds awesome!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 10:10 AM   #28
JDundon34
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i convertible

How did this work?

Wondering if you got this and how the install went???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone View Post
I have been looking hard at these for my E88 as well. Mostly the 10.25" top dash (cut a hole) are an option as the factory plate is not changed (are $450+) - but I also am leaning to the 9" ones - they appear to move down the climate control and have a provsion for the convertible top (and heated seats) buttons on the chin portion. See the pics below:

Look for the Chin bump highlighted below - I think that means it has this feature.

This is the one I thinking of getting from here (the F3 model):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...c00WCiUWW&mp=1

More pics:

Obviously there are many many different specifications - I chose the one I did as I will be using android auto mostly (want it built in), I want a AHD high res rear view camera to be able to be used (buy separately), The HD display (1280 x 720) to see the nice rear cam, The dynamic parking lines (which I now believe works on any of these with the Can Bus integration (necessary for the steering wheel controls (crossing my fingers here)), 8 core, android 10, at least 2 GB or RAM (this has 3 GB), and a cooling fan. The final cost will be about $235.03 plus $25 ahd rear handle camera from here (only need the 720p version as 1080P would be a waste on the screen): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3286...c00YKYIeN&mp=1

Should get here in about 2 weeks via DHL - there are other cheaper options that will take up to 6 weeks to get...

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 04:15 PM   #29
Fortugs
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i M sport

How did the install of the Navisky Unit go?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 04:17 PM   #30
danny8787
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanmaizter View Post

Hi, I just received this unit and my remote controller isn't working. Could you please help me with this? Where is the black wire in pin13 and goes to where? Not quite sure I understand properly....
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 02:25 AM   #31
Fortugs
Rep

I believe you need the CANbus integration to have the steering wheel controls work.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 06:54 PM   #32
Fortugs
Rep

I just finished installing mine. You need to change the CAN setting from BMW 3 to x1 then all steering wheel control work normally. Pin13 or the black wire on the original harness needs to be connected to the blue wire on the Navisky.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 10:25 AM   #33
K9Leader
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix E91, 2011 128i E82

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2010 BMW 328i  [10.00]
I just installed an Android stereo. This is the CarNaviPlayer ordered from Sigma Stereo. They offered a slightly better deal than other sellers - free backup camera, the trunk handle style for BMW. While base price was the same, some of the add-ons (built in Apple Carplay and Android Auto) were less expensive and shipping was quite a bit less expensive.

Fit is great, install was straightforward, although at first I was having trouble with many functions not working and the unit repeatedly rebooting. Turns out that was my fault - I had a micro SD card that was too large and/or the wrong format. Once I switched it to a 32gb, FAT32 card it worked. Seller says a 64gb will work as long as it is FAT32, but they have not tested larger and warn that larger may slow down boot time and processing speed.

I had hoped to store all of my music on the SD card so I wouldn't have to fool with my phone, either through Android Auto or Bluetooth, just for music. I also found that the size of a USB stick on the USB input cable has no negative effect so I can use that for music. However, the controls and interface off of the SD card or USB or Bluetooth is pretty basic and the Android Auto works better on this unit than it does on stereos in my other cars (Dynavin in E91 and Kenwood in Corvette but those are better for playing music off of SD/USB), and controls/interface are significantly better that way. The Apple Carplay is wireless so I may be looking at iPhones next time I change phones.

As with all built-in GPS Nav, this is not nearly as good as a standalone Garmin unit so I will continue to use my Garmin most of the time. The cable hanging off the dash is the GPS antenna, which I have not yet routed under the dash. And, of course, Google maps is available through the Android Auto connection.

Steering wheel controls all work with my only minor complaint being that the volume up and down is not continuous - you have to repeatedly hit it for each step up or down.

I have not installed the backup camera yet - that is a bit more involved job running the wiring, so won't get done until the weekend along with the GPS antenna.

Looking forward to the modern music experience. Now, of course, I'm thinking about new speakers and maybe an amp . . .

K9Leader

2010 328i x-Drive, E91 - Space Gray/Black
2011 128i E82 6MT - Crimson Red/Black
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2022, 01:21 PM   #34
Spielmp3206
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

When I bought my 128i it came with this stereo already installed, so far so good, previous owner had the abdroid auto/wireless carplay dongle in the wallet, I use android phones so it was really not ideal to have a wire coming from the wallet it looked tacky as hell, so I dismounted the stereo and noticed that the oem usb accesory is no longer connected so I retrofitted the oem connector to match the dongle output to be able to keep using the oem usb socket, now I am able to connect any phone in the oem port and I have android auto and it looks oem.

The only minor issues I am having are

1) when I connect via bluetooth and no music is nothing playing there is a slight hissing coming from the speakers, am I the only one with this issue ? It is not always the case but close to 50% of the time

2) the minimum volume is way to loud, when I drive with my wife and we want to have a conversation I need to mute it otherwise the volume even in minimum is too high, anyone with the same situation?
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2022, 09:30 AM   #35
g0atb0y_71
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

Can someone who has installed one of these (or aftermarket) android units tell me what you do about the settings that you'd normally change in the professional headunit? (units/time/date/etc)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 03:43 AM   #36
e4603
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spielmp3206 View Post

2) the minimum volume is way to loud, when I drive with my wife and we want to have a conversation I need to mute it otherwise the volume even in minimum is too high, anyone with the same situation?
Go to Settings -> Car ->Factory settings -> other
Lower “Amp volume” from 0db to -12 or -15
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2022, 03:51 AM   #37
e4603
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0atb0y_71 View Post
Can someone who has installed one of these (or aftermarket) android units tell me what you do about the settings that you'd normally change in the professional headunit? (units/time/date/etc)
I changed the time zone in the Android head unit and the clock in the cluster got updated.
Haven’t tried it but I believe you can also use the left steering column stalk to change the units like C/F, km/miles
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 08:56 AM   #38
Spielmp3206
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4603 View Post
Go to Settings -> Car ->Factory settings -> other
Lower “Amp volume” from 0db to -12 or -15
Hi thank you so much for the feedback ! I just tried lowering to -8 but it remained the same, I will try after work with the values you recommended.

in order to go into factory settings in the unit a password is needed, I didn't know mine but found out 318 is a common password for this units and it worked ! In case anyone needs it
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 10:43 AM   #39
jshbrwr
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spielmp3206 View Post
The only minor issues I am having are

1) when I connect via bluetooth and no music is nothing playing there is a slight hissing coming from the speakers, am I the only one with this issue ? It is not always the case but close to 50% of the time

I just installed the CarNavi unit and am really pleased with the look and fit/finish (other than having to shave the hvac control sides to fit).

I am also a bit annoyed at the two issues you state. Looking in to a way to quiet the min volume as well as reduce the hiss. Not sure if the head unit is sending an amplified signal to the BMW amp in the back or what, but I hope this is not a thing I have to bear long-term just to get carplay...I haven't used the unit while driving yet (the car is needing a driveshaft replacement and is parked for a while), but it is quite loud and obnoxious.

I've read that there are noise-reduction in-line boxes that might work, but honestly even though I love my car stereos, I'm a bit of a dunce when people start talking impendance and line-level and crap like that. Hoping someone has some wisdom on this.

If the answer is "this is what you get with a Chinese knock-off" then I guess that's that, but I'm hopeful for something else...
Appreciate 0