BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-14-2022, 03:44 AM   #1
Trill_vin
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 128i

I have a 2011 bmw 128i manual and today I was driving to work as usual and once I got to work I turned off my car went inside for 5 minutes walked out and tried to turn on my car and nothing. My car has been giving me some lights lately but they go away no codes show up it consists of a break light,abs and traction control all at the same time but it usually goes away in a couple of minutes other than this my car seems fine and didn't act any different then normal.At first I thought the battery might be bad so I tested that and it was good. Then I thought possibly the relay got a new one and nope same stuff. So now I'm thinking it's the starter but if it's the starter why is my car acting possessed flickering lights and moving the windshield wipers as if my battery is dying? The car makes no noise when trying to turn it on you just hear the click of the button and it shuts off and from time to time you will hear the relay clicking but that's it. Anyone have any similar issues?

I posted a video to YouTube if you want to see

https://youtube.com/shorts/PSLdL9B92UI?feature=share

Update I got some friends to push my car and push started it and it worked so I think I have a bad starter.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 05:43 PM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Another member of this forum recently had a similar problem, it turned out to be the starter cable.
here is his post:
RHERMAN335i How I solved this issue, had me stumped for a while until I went back to basics
Had all of the same issues as your describing and had me stumped as well.. had only purchased the car a couple of months prior and wasn't too happy about having a car that would not start or even try to. Just small clicks when I first turn ignition on coming from throttle body area. Took apart everything to be able to get to starter to have it tested and replaced if necessary. Pulled starter out of the car and tested it myself with jumper cables and turned over ok. Brought to a couple of different part stores to have them bench test and results came back as a working starter... put everything back together and boom. NOTHING... started testing voltages from battery to jump post under the hood. Had good voltage there. Checked voltage from wire leading to starter/alternator as they share the same wire. Boom 12.6... after reassembling everything just to have same results about 6 times I got tired of it and wanted to just see what would happen If I could get engine to start the old fashioned way of jumping power to my solenoid. Made my own little jumping wire to connect from power to jump post and go to my starter solenoid. I wanted to at least see if I could get my engine to crank over. BOOM... Cranked and started easy with no problems just like it was supposed to. Shut car off as everything top side of engine was unplugged and disconnected. Inspected wire feeding from my jump post to the starter and found a couple inches back from the copper ring connector on jump post I had some frayed and messed up little spot of wires underneath the wire wrap/cover... went to my shop and made my own peice of power wire with 2 new connectors for both sides of wire. (Jump post to starter) cut the connector on old wire going from starter to the alternator. Making it two separate wires instead of sharing the same wire. Installed on the car and never had an issue since... saved alot of money by not bringing it to a shop and doing it myself as it took alot of man hours to fix the issue. And saved $280 I believe it was that BMW wanted for that power wire. Hopefully that might help someone

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1916718

1983 E21 Delphin, M10, 5 speed, LSD, MSW wheels, recaro seats, Hartge strut brace, rear sway bar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0