BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-14-2022, 08:10 PM   #1
MalcolmV8
Boosted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Gas pedal dead spot

I have a 2012 135i and very frequently when driving the gas pedal will have a dead spot and not respond while trying to pull off. You press on the gas lightly as normal to pull off and nothing happens so you keep pressing and suddenly it just kicks in and rockets forward because of how much you had to get into the gas pedal before it would respond. As a result the car suddenly lunges forward like you're driving aggressively.
More importantly that delay seems to happen at the worst possible times like when pulling into traffic and I don't want to get hit just sitting there not going.

Is this a known issue with these cars? It seems my old 335xi had a similar thing but not near as bad as this car. Possibly bad throttle position sensor on the gas pedal?

Thanks for any pointers
Malcolm
      05-14-2022, 08:28 PM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Which transmission do you have?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 08:30 PM   #3
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I would say not a known issue, but sure it can happen. Also thinking some sort of little position sensor.

Maybe someone else has actually had this happen and solved it. If not - that does sound like a good start. Try it in idle and see if the rev's change at all, if you can duplicate the issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 08:34 PM   #4
MalcolmV8
Boosted
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Which transmission do you have?
It's the DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I would say not a known issue, but sure it can happen. Also thinking some sort of little position sensor.

Maybe someone else has actually had this happen and solved it. If not - that does sound like a good start. Try it in idle and see if the rev's change at all, if you can duplicate the issue.
I've never been able to just replicate the issue on demand. It'll do it so randomly, even in the driveway sometimes but 99% of the time it's while driving.

Often when slowing down and then coming to a complete stop to make a left turn across traffic. I get scared to take gaps unless they're huge because it'll very frequently do it there where you press on the gas and no go..... press more and more and the boom it darts across and slams us in the seat and my wife will say what the heck you doing? lol.
      05-14-2022, 08:44 PM   #5
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

There were issues reported with BMW DCT owners with stalling, and shift delays. Your problem could be a DCT related issue.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2022, 08:47 PM   #6
MalcolmV8
Boosted
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
There were issues reported with BMW DCT owners with stalling, and shift delays. Your problem could be a DCT related issue.
It would not surprise me. It has a weird surge thing it does coming to a stop where the car feels like it goes in neutral and then back in gear and lunges the car forward as you make a stop.
Shift delays luckily not. Shifts super fast and quick when you get on it.

What's interesting though is when it does this dead spot the RPMs are not rising or anything. It's like you're not even touching the pedal. Totally ignored and then boom it all just kicks in and the car revs and takes off all at once.