BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-05-2022, 03:11 PM   #1
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F80 - ZCP 6MT

Cruise Control on steering wheel?

Hi. My commute will be longish and I noticed the cruise control is operated via the stalk to the left of the steering wheel.

Is there any coding, different steering wheel or modifications that would allow me to increase/decease speed via the steering wheel controls?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 11:08 PM   #2
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 11:27 PM   #3
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

What problem are you trying to solve here?
The cruise control stalk is the most intuitive in the industry, requires no activation to start and you can control the speed with your finger without moving your hand from the wheel.
Just use your pinky if your hand is higher up.

But to your point, there’s no way to change the buttons on the wheel to control cruise, unless you somehow rewire everything, thus losing the stalk and the functions of the buttons themselves.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 01:33 AM   #4
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
What problem are you trying to solve here?
The cruise control stalk is the most intuitive in the industry, requires no activation to start and you can control the speed with your finger without moving your hand from the wheel.
Just use your pinky if your hand is higher up.

But to your point, there’s no way to change the buttons on the wheel to control cruise, unless you somehow rewire everything, thus losing the stalk and the functions of the buttons themselves.
Thanks. I asked because I once had a GTI that had the cruise control on the stalk but nowadays my cars have it on the steering wheel. I commute quite bit on highways and I find the steering wheel controls more intuitive. But seems like I'll simply have to get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 04:21 PM   #5
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I have a truck with it on the wheel and my e88. I MUCH prefer the stalk on the bimmer. But my first trip I was calling it names. It does take a little getting used to. I cannot see it from my driving position. But I don't need to see it. I also do not have to push a button to turn on cruise. Just pull the lever back and your speed is set. Pull it again to reduce speed and push forward to increase the setting.
      04-18-2022, 11:54 PM   #6
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CachacoF80 View Post
Any ideas?
Sell it and buy a 2-series that has the controls on the steering wheel?

I much prefer the stalk, having had an M235i in the past.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 08:44 AM   #7
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
I don't use cruise control on any of my BMWs and never have. That's why I live in the country. But I am amused that the OP was so impatient as to repeat his question after just just eight-hours of not getting any response. Must really be aggravating to him!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 09:08 AM   #8
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep

It is really aggravating! There is a reason why bmw moved this function to steering wheel in newer cars...

Anyway, I'm "dealing" with it and won't sell the car as someone rather unhelpful suggested.

Edit: not only on newer cars like my F80, also older ones like my E46! Hope the cruise control engineer for the E82 is no longer employed by BMW
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 09:30 AM   #9
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

'Cruse control' isn't really supposed to be a replacement for using the foot pedal in traffic that is changing speed a lot. It was always intended for cruising at a relative constant speed. As in freeway travel - set it for your desired speed, choose the lane that is appropriate and relax your foot. If you are in traffic that requires regular change of speed, then cruise control isn't really appropriate. I think perhaps your frustration is due to misaligned user expectations.
Attached Images

1983 E21 Delphin, M10, 5 speed, LSD, MSW wheels, recaro seats, Hartge strut brace, rear sway bar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 09:40 AM   #10
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
'Cruse control' isn't really supposed to be a replacement for using the foot pedal in traffic that is changing speed a lot. It was always intended for cruising at a relative constant speed. As in freeway travel - set it for your desired speed, choose the lane that is appropriate and relax your foot. If you are in traffic that requires regular change of speed, then cruise control isn't really appropriate. I think perhaps your frustration is due to misaligned user expectations.
My commute has little to no traffic. I could average 100 if I wanted to but cops would eventually get me. I'm doing 80-82mph with some adjustments here and there as CA drivers that pay their taxes feel entitled to their lane.

It has nothing to do with expectations. Some of
you may like the stalk but BMW did away with it and that should send a message of usability, function and convenience.

No need for further replies as the unhelpful crowd is out there for his morning.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 05:29 PM   #11
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

It is probably possible to adapt a steering wheel from another BMW to a 1 series and tie in the cruse control signals but I have no idea what it would take. It would not be a simple coding exercise, the buttons are not on the wheel. I don't think the stalk is doing anything that steering wheel buttons could not do. But this sort of thing can be a lot of work. You'd have to figure out what each wire to the existing stalk is doing and then figure out which connection to the new wheel to use. The wires are also probably not long enough to reach the new wheel. Extending them would not be that hard but there is not much room in the column supporting the steering wheel. You might also be able to disable and reuse buttons of the existing steering wheel but it would not be a lot easier and it seems like it would be hard to remember what the repurposed buttons do.

I experienced frustration at first with the stalk but I quickly got used to it and now prefer it. I hope your experience is similar. I don't think it's impossible to change it but I think it will be difficult and costly.
      04-25-2022, 08:36 AM   #12
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
It is probably possible to adapt a steering wheel from another BMW to a 1 series and tie in the cruse control signals but I have no idea what it would take. It would not be a simple coding exercise, the buttons are not on the wheel. I don't think the stalk is doing anything that steering wheel buttons could not do. But this sort of thing can be a lot of work. You'd have to figure out what each wire to the existing stalk is doing and then figure out which connection to the new wheel to use. The wires are also probably not long enough to reach the new wheel. Extending them would not be that hard but there is not much room in the column supporting the steering wheel. You might also be able to disable and reuse buttons of the existing steering wheel but it would not be a lot easier and it seems like it would be hard to remember what the repurposed buttons do.

I experienced frustration at first with the stalk but I quickly got used to it and now prefer it. I hope your experience is similar. I don't think it's impossible to change it but I think it will be difficult and costly.
Thanks. Sounds too involved indeed. I have adapted...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 09:24 PM   #13
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
My commute has little to no traffic. I could average 100 if I wanted to but cops would eventually get me. I'm doing 80-82mph with some adjustments here and there as CA drivers that pay their taxes feel entitled to their lane.

It has nothing to do with expectations. Some of
you may like the stalk but BMW did away with it and that should send a message of usability, function and convenience.

No need for further replies as the unhelpful crowd is out there for his morning.
More just another sign of BMW selling out to the lowest common denominator in search of more sales from the great unwashed. Along with low-feel electric steering and softer suspensions. Make it more like a Lexus so the lemmings will like it better.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 07:29 AM   #14
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
...BMW did away with it and that should send a message of usability, function and convenience.

You asked, we answered. BMW has done away with lots of stuff in appealing to the average US driver. As mentioned, the precise steering is one casualty. But, referencing standardization of controls and switches, the turn-signal function has become Americanized with the stalk switch staying in position and actually, physically, having to cancel. As opposed to our cars where one soft touch gets you triple-flash and a hard push gets you a constant blinker until a turn is made. That seemed to confuse a lot of Umerikans ever since it was introduced on the Bangle-butt 7-series. Having driven with it for decades now, it is a better design that disappeared for us with the current 5-series for no reason other than Customer Satisfaction surveys.

I'd bet you'd be totally confused on a pre-'74 2002 with the turn-signals on the right-hand stalk. Just get used to it. Call it an idiosyncrasy, if you must. Besides, cruise-control means you've already given up control of your vehicle, so why the need to make it more accessible (in your mind) if the point is not to have to do anything?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 10:21 AM   #15
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

get em boys
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 03:29 PM   #16
AshwinLB
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i 6MT

I don't know too much about this so do further research but I'm pretty sure that if you swap an F series wheel onto your car with the retrofit wiring/adapter, the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel will indeed work.

You can start your research from this video:
Appreciate 0