BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-23-2021, 12:50 PM   #1
dmytro98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 128i coupe

Condor Speed Shop Headers

I was just looking at header options for the n52 and came across a set from condor speed shop (https://www.condorspeedshop.com/prod...rs-e90-e92-e82).

They're advertising 25 hp so not sure if that's wheel or crank, but I was curious if anyone knows anything about them and whether they're worth considering over the default option of AA headers.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 08:43 PM   #2
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

I was looking at these earlier... a few thoughts:

Reading their specs, I don't really see anything about them that looks significantly different than the existing options (AA, Supersprint, Alibaba/Roundelwerk). The primary diameter is also the same as the others (1.5"), and the O2 sensors appear to be in the right spots like AA/SS and *some* of the Alibaba headers. I think the main difference is they are built in the USA unlike the rest. I suspect the main reason these really exist is because Condor is trying to launch the SpecE9X racing class with NASA. The other brands like AA seem hesitant to keep making catless N52 headers with the EPA crackdowns.

I need to buy headers soon but not sure if I want to spend $900 when decent chinese headers are available for about $300 shipped. I don't think there is going to be a big difference in quality for almost 3x the price.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 05:28 AM   #3
dmytro98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 128i coupe

I was just curious if there was room for improvement from different headers since the only outlier seems to be a set of s54 headers that were adapted for the n52 which made a ridiculous 266whp with the only other mod being an n54 intake manifold and throttle body. One major downside is you lose your AC since the runner from cylinder 1 interfere with the ac compressor. Additionally, you have to get them custom fabbed which leaves room for error in the shop you have making them. Also since there's only 1 person that has completed this, the dyno they used could be reading high since that is considerably higher compared to the average of around 250whp for similar mods but with Chinese reps or aa headers.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 11:30 AM   #4
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytro98 View Post
I was just curious if there was room for improvement from different headers since the only outlier seems to be a set of s54 headers that were adapted for the n52 which made a ridiculous 266whp with the only other mod being an n54 intake manifold and throttle body. One major downside is you lose your AC since the runner from cylinder 1 interfere with the ac compressor. Additionally, you have to get them custom fabbed which leaves room for error in the shop you have making them. Also since there's only 1 person that has completed this, the dyno they used could be reading high since that is considerably higher compared to the average of around 250whp for similar mods but with Chinese reps or aa headers.
I've been wondering the same, and also am familiar with the guy running the S54 headers on his N52 swapped E30. I am curious whether the s54 header dyno sheet is a fluke or if it's something that can be replicated on other cars. Obviously dyno numbers are relative but I believe they said that same dyno shows similar numbers to others with a stock N52 baseline.

I don't get the impression that there will be any major performance benefit to these Condor headers though (compared to AA / other catless headers). It would have been interesting if they made the primaries a little larger similar to S54 headers. Not sure if they tested that and it wasn't worth it, or if they just went with the same 1.5" like everyone else from the start. Of course that also has to do with the exhaust port sizing on the N52 head, but then we get back to the S54 headers allegedly providing more gains with something like 1.75" primaries anyway. Seems like more documented testing is needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 11:37 AM   #5
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep

Update - I just ordered a set of these. Will let everyone know how it goes. They said about 2 week turnaround time to ship after ordering.
Appreciate 2
      02-28-2022, 11:41 AM   #6
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

These are rebadged AA type headers - nothing special to them. A good header would be optimized by cylinder, and typically equal length runners give a broader powerband.
      02-28-2022, 04:44 PM   #7
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
These are rebadged AA type headers - nothing special to them. A good header would be optimized by cylinder, and typically equal length runners give a broader powerband.
I did not know that anyone could build true equal length headers for the N52 and get them to fit inside the BMW engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 05:58 PM   #8
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

SuperSprint Header's were close. A guy here TheSt|G Had a set with an evolve tune. The tune was meh, but the headers made impressive torque and midrange.
      03-04-2022, 11:57 PM   #9
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes and no. The overall design is similar but not quite the same. AA headers and most/all of the other clones (Roundelwerk) are made in china and are pretty indistinguishable from each other.. Probably all made in the same factory.

I received the condor headers a week or so ago. They are actually made in the USA, and are manufactured by a company called Kooks Exhaust (https://kooksheaders.com/). I can tell because it came in a big box with their band on the side of it.

The main reasons I decided to go with the condor headers are:
1) Lifetime Warranty
2) Made in the USA
3) Supporting a business local to me - Condor is about an hour away from my house. I also appreciate the fact that they are starting a Spec E9X program with NASA which will help keep the aftermarket alive for the N52
4) Avoided the crap-shoot of fitment between the various sellers on Alibaba. Most fit fine, but some of them don't and it's hard to tell them apart until it's too late.

Cons are:
Cost - Slightly more than AA, but less than supersprint
No gaskets/hardware included

Ill post a full review once I get around to installing them.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 08:59 AM   #10
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootloops View Post
Yes and no. The overall design is similar but not quite the same. AA headers and most/all of the other clones (Roundelwerk) are made in china and are pretty indistinguishable from each other.. Probably all made in the same factory.

I received the condor headers a week or so ago. They are actually made in the USA, and are manufactured by a company called Kooks Exhaust (https://kooksheaders.com/). I can tell because it came in a big box with their band on the side of it.

The main reasons I decided to go with the condor headers are:
1) Lifetime Warranty
2) Made in the USA
3) Supporting a business local to me - Condor is about an hour away from my house. I also appreciate the fact that they are starting a Spec E9X program with NASA which will help keep the aftermarket alive for the N52
4) Avoided the crap-shoot of fitment between the various sellers on Alibaba. Most fit fine, but some of them don't and it's hard to tell them apart until it's too late.

Cons are:
Cost - Slightly more than AA, but less than supersprint
No gaskets/hardware included

Ill post a full review once I get around to installing them.
Kooks are big in the muscle and American car world, they should be a solid product. I would thermal wrap them while you have them out - the lack of hardware is a bummer though.

Interested in results!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 09:56 AM   #11
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Valuable research!

+1 on ceramic coating them
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 01:39 PM   #12
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

One thing I noticed is they look like typical M52 headers with flanges made for the N52.
The runners also look short.

It will make power, but I think the shorter runners are better for mid range power, but don't have the broad powerband (or peak) that longer runner headers do.
      03-12-2022, 02:41 PM   #13
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
One thing I noticed is they look like typical M52 headers with flanges made for the N52.
The runners also look short.

It will make power, but I think the shorter runners are better for mid range power, but don't have the broad powerband (or peak) that longer runner headers do.
I really don't see any significant difference in runner legnth compared to the AA headers. The only set that really seems to be different in terms of overall runner length/design is SuperSprint.

EDIT: Side by side photo for comparison - The main differences I see are that the AA runner on cyl #4 is two pieces welder together, where Condor is 1 piece. The merge collectors are also slightly different. Other than that they are pretty similar.

With headers like this, I think the intake manifold is going to be a big factor in how high the engine makes power. People running the N54 intake manifold with AA/Alibaba/RoundelWerk headers are making decent power high in the rev range.

I have these on the car now and it definitely feels like it holds onto the power up to redline way more than it did before. I do have an n54 intake manifold though. I still have not had the car tuned. Once I get my tune from Bob I will write up a full review on the headers with pics.

Last edited by wootloops; 03-12-2022 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 3
Biginboca3763.50
ornicar136.00