BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-06-2022, 01:45 PM   #1
aznbo187
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, 128, E91 328, E70 X5d

Blackline LED Taillights on Halogen - Easier wiring method

After reading all the how-to's I did it slightly different on my install.

My goals were simple:
  • No special plugs/electrical pins needed.
  • Operates like factory, meaning no dynamic brightness, just on as ambient lighting.
  • Can buy all the stuff locally.
  • No painting/blacking out any bulbs
I have a 2012 (facelift/LCI) with Halogen lights from the factory. These instructions should apply to all facelift halogen 1'ers - not sure if pre-facelift was any different, though I think this method is pretty universal.

To get to this, I tapped into the license plate lights so they stay on whenever the license plate lights turn on and don't dim/get brighter. This is fairly standard to other DIY's, the main difference is where I tapped into for the other end.

You will need:
  • Inline splices (autozone/pep boys/amazon) all carry this. You can also use t-taps or your preferred splice method.
  • About 10ft of 16-22gauge wiring.
  • 8mm socket for removing/installing tail lights
  • Phillips screwdrivers
  • Flathead or flat trim tool to remove pop mounts
  • Pliers
  • Zip ties

Locate the wiring loom for the license plate lights.
Remove the passenger side trunk panel and on the top corner you will see a loom of wires.
View post on imgur.com

Locate the Gray/Brown wire. There are two pairs of these with the same color. I tapped twice (one for each taillight) into the slightly thicker one (the other one didn't work, no idea why).
View post on imgur.com

Route the two wires - one will go to the passenger and one will go to the driver side tail light. Leave enough slack so you can run the wires in a hidden fashion. I removed the plastic center trim panel secured by two Phillips screws. Under that there is a smaller trim piece that holds the main power wires so I remove that with a torx driver and routed the driver side wire behind it. I used Velcro wiring tape instead of zip ties.
View post on imgur.com

On each tail light, you want to locate and remove the outside corner bulb. This is the 3-pin connector that others normally modify. I didn't want to find the right pin to use in that connector so I by-passed it and spliced directly into the wire on-board the tail light.
View post on imgur.com

Locate the red wire after removing the bulb and foam seal.
View post on imgur.com

I tapped into this wire with the inline splice.
View post on imgur.com

Re-applied the foam seal.
View post on imgur.com

And test to make sure it functions before reinstalling.

Next I plan on coding out the front turn signals and rear lights so they only turn on when engaged.
View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2022, 09:31 PM   #2
Christianrice_
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 128i

Hey man im wondering if you did this to make the led strips works, the problem im having right now is that i have the pre face lift and the led strip is not working and im trying to find a solution
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 01:05 PM   #3
Christianrice_
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 128i

I think i found the problem the post lci tail lights dont have these two wires but im not sure what to do about it, anyone have any idea what happened [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 05:24 PM   #4
munkie
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christianrice_ View Post
I think i found the problem the post lci tail lights dont have these two wires but im not sure what to do about it, anyone have any idea what happened [IMG][/IMG]
You need to buy the "blackline" LCI tails. The standard ones that came on the LCI cars have the "strips", but they do not light up.

I just got a set of the blacklines today and installed them, I just pulled the cable out from slot 2 and put it in slot 3 for now, trying to decide what my long term solution will be.
Appreciate 0