BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-30-2017, 01:22 AM   #1
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 135i

Garage List
Private Track day

Myself and and a few enthusiasts are thinking of renting the track in Canaan sometime in September (must be a weekday) and are looking for a few (3-4) more drivers. We are all intermediate/advanced drivers and are looking for a few more of the same. It's $2500 a day, divided by 10, so $250 a person. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 07:48 PM   #2
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

Would be something I'd love to do. But I'm probably out of your league (no track experience but willing to learn).
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #3
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by $iriu$black View Post
Would be something I'd love to do. But I'm probably out of your league (no track experience but willing to learn).
If you've never been on track before I'd recommend to start with an Advanced Car Control school through BMWCCA, PCA or Tire Rack Street Survival. Although not a necessity, I'd recommend one of those before progressing to an Advanced Driving school, like the upcoming White Mountain Chapter event in Tamworth, NH on October 6th and 7th.

I think many would agree that an open track day like this wouldn't be the best environment to gain meaningful track experience if you have never been on track before. In car instruction (like the aforementioned BMWCCA event) is the best way to learn track/pit etiquette, driving line and to safely explore both your personal comfort level and the car's limits.

Earlier this season I brought my brother out to the BMWCCA event at Watkins Glen. He had no prior experience but is an avid Motorsport fan and was extremely confident. As the saying goes, there are two things men think they are better at than they actually are: sex and racing. After two full days of track experience (half was in the rain and he was driving my car...) his 2 takeaways were (paraphrasing obviously): 1) Holy sh*t, that was humbling and more mentally demanding than I ever imagined, and 2) Thank god I had an instructor with me or I would have been a hazard to everyone.

Reach out any time. I am more than happy to share more information or experiences about BMWCCA and gaining experience on the race track. If you do attend an event look for the FAIL license plate and we'll chat some more.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 07:20 PM   #4
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr1 View Post
If you've never been on track before I'd recommend to start with an Advanced Car Control school through BMWCCA, PCA or Tire Rack Street Survival. Although not a necessity, I'd recommend one of those before progressing to an Advanced Driving school, like the upcoming White Mountain Chapter event in Tamworth, NH on October 6th and 7th.

I think many would agree that an open track day like this wouldn't be the best environment to gain meaningful track experience if you have never been on track before. In car instruction (like the aforementioned BMWCCA event) is the best way to learn track/pit etiquette, driving line and to safely explore both your personal comfort level and the car's limits.

Earlier this season I brought my brother out to the BMWCCA event at Watkins Glen. He had no prior experience but is an avid Motorsport fan and was extremely confident. As the saying goes, there are two things men think they are better at than they actually are: sex and racing. After two full days of track experience (half was in the rain and he was driving my car...) his 2 takeaways were (paraphrasing obviously): 1) Holy sh*t, that was humbling and more mentally demanding than I ever imagined, and 2) Thank god I had an instructor with me or I would have been a hazard to everyone.

Reach out any time. I am more than happy to share more information or experiences about BMWCCA and gaining experience on the race track. If you do attend an event look for the FAIL license plate and we'll chat some more.

Thanks for the input Dr1, this is something that I am really interested in doing since I had my car. Just don't have as many car nut friends who can "show me the way" so to speak. Should i be a BMWCCA member? Is that something I get to do w my own car or do they have their own (doesn't matter)?

Thanks again and i will look into that event that you pointed out, maybe i can get a slot.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by $iriu$black View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the input Dr1, this is something that I am really interested in doing since I had my car. Just don't have as many car nut friends who can "show me the way" so to speak. Should i be a BMWCCA member? Is that something I get to do w my own car or do they have their own (doesn't matter)?

Thanks again and i will look into that event that you pointed out, maybe i can get a slot.
I was in the same boat as you. Not a single person I knew had ever been on track. No need to stress about that. As I learned, going to events (BMWCCA at least) is a very friendly, welcoming experience. You can walk up to anybody and ask questions, talk about cars, different strategies, borrow a torque wrench to check your lugs, etc.

You do drive your own car at these events so you will need to flush your brake fluid and have a pre-event inspection done to make sure you car can safely be driven on track.

Before my first event I was worried about wear and tear on my car. Honestly the only thing you use up is tires and brake pads, and not even to a noticeable degree unless you do multiple events per year. I hope to see you up at Tamworth. Check out the event info at motorsportreg dot com.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 08:42 PM   #6
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I was in the same boat as you. Not a single person I knew had ever been on track. No need to stress about that. As I learned, going to events (BMWCCA at least) is a very friendly, welcoming experience. You can walk up to anybody and ask questions, talk about cars, different strategies, borrow a torque wrench to check your lugs, etc.

You do drive your own car at these events so you will need to flush your brake fluid and have a pre-event inspection done to make sure you car can safely be driven on track.

Before my first event I was worried about wear and tear on my car. Honestly the only thing you use up is tires and brake pads, and not even to a noticeable degree unless you do multiple events per year. I hope to see you up at Tamworth. Check out the event info at motorsportreg dot com.
Thanks Dr1. Hopefully I'll meet you up there. When I meant "not as many friends..." it actually meant zilch. I'll sign up to be a member and then for that event. So far no registrants yet but would be a nice weekend to spend up there. Should be exciting.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 09:40 PM   #7
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just wanted to update this thread. We are looking at Columbus Day (10/9/17) and we have 8 confirmed so far. Message here or PM if you are interested. Cost is $250 per person for unlimited track time 8am-sunset ($2500/10 drivers = $250, less if we have more than 10). Prior on track experience required for safety because there will be no flaggers, no run group, etc. just an open track all day.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #8
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep

If anyone local here is planning to go to a similar track day/car control clinic this year, please hit me up! Looking to do this this year and hopefully learn from it.
Appreciate 0