BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2009, 02:16 AM   #1
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

Screen keeps popping up

Has anyone else had the screen pop up on it's own. Sometimes when I am pushing a corner quite hard in 2nd gear (small roundabouts and the like) and start to accelerate out of it very hard, my screen pops up and displays a radio channel (not the one it's tuned into) and then goes back to the standard menu page.

It really annoys me !!!!! anyone else get this ?
      04-27-2009, 02:36 AM   #2
penny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i (sold)

Interesting. I've put a few posts here about the screen popping up on ignition when I program it not to. Dealership told me reasons and they sounded like all BS. They said my screen overheated in the sun and I should use a sun visor. Then they said I need to program my keys. Then they said they needed to re-program the car. All failed. Now they pretty much said live with it.

But to reply to your OP, are you accidentally brushing against one of the programmable keys or hitting the steering wheel buttons. This will cause your screen to pop up.
      04-27-2009, 06:34 AM   #3
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny View Post
Interesting. I've put a few posts here about the screen popping up on ignition when I program it not to. Dealership told me reasons and they sounded like all BS. They said my screen overheated in the sun and I should use a sun visor. Then they said I need to program my keys. Then they said they needed to re-program the car. All failed. Now they pretty much said live with it.

But to reply to your OP, are you accidentally brushing against one of the programmable keys or hitting the steering wheel buttons. This will cause your screen to pop up.

I wish that was the case, but alas, no. Hands securly on the wheel and away form all bottons. The funny thing is, I can get it to do it every time on 2 or 3 local corners to where I live.
      04-27-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
scorcherjf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Very odd... are you perhaps holding your hand on the gear lever (I'm assuming you're 6 speed)? I notice that if I put my fingers "close" to the 6 programmable buttons, the screen will come up telling me to hold down a button to program it. I don't even have to touch the buttons, just be within an inch or so.

Anyway, I've never had it happen to me, and I've been at the track balls to the wall for 30 minute sessions.
      04-28-2009, 01:50 AM   #5
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorcherjf View Post
Very odd... are you perhaps holding your hand on the gear lever (I'm assuming you're 6 speed)? I notice that if I put my fingers "close" to the 6 programmable buttons, the screen will come up telling me to hold down a button to program it. I don't even have to touch the buttons, just be within an inch or so.

Anyway, I've never had it happen to me, and I've been at the track balls to the wall for 30 minute sessions.
I have a manual and both hands on the wheel (away from those buttons too). It's always done it, but now the dryer weather is here I am able to take tighter corners at better speeds and that's what makes it happen
      04-28-2009, 05:14 AM   #6
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
screen pop up = 08 nav right?

Or

the current screen will just ' change ' and pop from nav to the main menu....

if its the later, then yes some times this happens to me. More so after a restart of the car. It seems not to remember I was running NAV after last shut down and brought me back to the radio or main menu screen.. but only couple times...

its electronic and prone to issues and nothing is perfect, since Apple didn't design the OS
      04-28-2009, 07:40 AM   #7
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I keep the screen down and so it doesn't "pop up" when the ignition is turned on.

Whenever I close the screen I always return it to the main menu screen. But when it pops up I may not have had the screen up for days so no other function has been used and the car is used every day.

I found in the set up today a "pop up" for control messages, so I unticked it today, so I will see if that makes a difference.
      04-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si-135i View Post
...when I am pushing a corner quite hard in 2nd gear (small roundabouts and the like) and start to accelerate out of it very hard...
It is popping up to display the DSC warning light, but by the time you can see the screen, the warning triangle has disappeared, as you have finished exiting the corner. To test, go to an empty parking lot, lower your nav screen, keep DSC on, try to burn some circles, and while continuing your vain attempt at burning rubber, watch your screen pop up with the DSC warning triangle being displayed at the bottom.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 02:06 AM   #9
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
It is popping up to display the DSC warning light, but by the time you can see the screen, the warning triangle has disappeared, as you have finished exiting the corner. To test, go to an empty parking lot, lower your nav screen, keep DSC on, try to burn some circles, and while continuing your vain attempt at burning rubber, watch your screen pop up with the DSC warning triangle being displayed at the bottom.
I hear what you are saying, but I have the traction light flashing on the dash a lot / all the time but the screen doesn't pop up then, so I don't know why it would in this situation only
      04-29-2009, 08:02 AM   #10
penny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si-135i View Post
I keep the screen down and so it doesn't "pop up" when the ignition is turned on.
Yours actually stay down on ignition? Mine always pop up even if I program it to stay down. SA told me cuz it has to show the initial warning message.
      04-29-2009, 08:39 AM   #11
scorcherjf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny View Post
Yours actually stay down on ignition? Mine always pop up even if I program it to stay down. SA told me cuz it has to show the initial warning message.
Yea mine always pops up when I start the car... I have to accept the thing and press my button on the steering wheel to close it =\
      04-30-2009, 02:07 AM   #12
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorcherjf View Post
Yea mine always pops up when I start the car... I have to accept the thing and press my button on the steering wheel to close it =\
Mine stays down unless I pop it up. The only exception is the first time I start the car after it has been to the dealer, then a "BMW" screen pops up and then switched to the main menue screen.