BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-01-2020, 03:48 AM   #1
Marcus.Y
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 135i

BMW E82 non I-drive to CIC

Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone has done a CIC retrofit on a non I-drive e82/e88 car. I have the screen, CIC unit, controller and new centre console. Do I need an emulator? Is this too difficult and am i better off buying an aftermarket android unit instead? I'm stuck and I also do not know how to wire up the combox at the boot. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 02:43 AM   #2
The Blimp
Private
Rep
Drives: A Car

Hi mate

I attempted this about 1.5 to 2 years ago but ran out of interest after a while.

I too purchased the same parts off ebay as well as a cheap emulator off aliexpress. I removed the professional cd and installed them all (except the new centre console) however I couldnt get it to work. The screen was blank and no sound would come from the speakers, though the idrive controller back-light came on (so it was at least getting power).

I had the genuine connectors from the CIC to the CID and had it wired correctly but it just wouldn't work.

I spoke to Vinny and Peter Y on here who were very helpful but I got caught up with other stuff in life and didnt go any further. Maybe I should join you to get this working.

My suspicion is that you may need to get the VO of your car to be updated with the $ code for the CIC rather than Pro CD, in order for it to work but maybe I'm wrong.

The value of the emulator is only to allow the nav to work from memory so if you plug it all in without the emulator it should still show the idrive screen (though it didnt for me).

Give that a go and report back. I can fill you in on all I learnt trying it myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 07:22 AM   #3
Marcus.Y
Rep

Hey mate,

Thanks for the reply. How did you wire the controller? I was referring to the wiring diagram from newtis but it doesn't look right (the cable quantity and colour doesn't match). There is also a 4 pin for the GPS, not sure where that goes as well.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...eneral/hmlQVO1

The CIC also doesn't fit in the existing mounting cage. I either need to saw it off or buy one.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 08:25 AM   #4
The Blimp
Private
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus.Y View Post
Hey mate,

Thanks for the reply. How did you wire the controller? I was referring to the wiring diagram from newtis but it doesn't look right (the cable quantity and colour doesn't match). There is also a 4 pin for the GPS, not sure where that goes as well.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...eneral/hmlQVO1

The CIC also doesn't fit in the existing mounting cage. I either need to saw it off or buy one.
I spliced off the emulator to run the controller. This was the cable colour code for the power/ground and high/low CAN that you need for both the CID and controller.

Name:  Wiring CIC interface.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  63.6 KB

The TIS diagram for this shows that you can run appropriate wires from the junction box to both the controller and CID to remove the need for the emulator.

Name:  iDrive Controller Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  38.6 KB
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 07:41 PM   #5
Marcus.Y
Rep

Thanks bud. I'll have a crack.
Appreciate 0