BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-22-2018, 08:54 AM   #1
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Rear brake noise with light pedal pressure - re-chamfer?

My 2011 135i has original brakes. While under warranty, I noted to the dealer that the rear right brake sometimes made a squealing noise under light pressure. They (added?) chamfered the pad and put it back together. Now, maybe 10k later, it’s happening again.

Has anyone else experienced this? Best explained as only happening when cold with light pressure under initial contact. Under hard braking, multiple braking instances, etc., it doesn’t occur.

Is a re-chamfer if the pads really appropriate or is another approach recommended? If it was lubrication, Id think the others would also be noisy?

For pad removal and re-installation, are there any bolts that are use once and replace?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 05:21 AM   #2
beattiecj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

Could be several things, if it really bothers you I would get a new set of pads for what it's worth. It also could be buildup on the rotor if it's been sitting for awhile and that goes away after a few stops, this is usually rust or dirt not a big deal.

Replacing the pads:
Jack the rear up and remove the tire, there are two pins in the caliper that need to be pressed out and then the spacer that the pins hold in place. After that pull the pads out and re-insert the new pad, spacer and pins. There are no one time use items. You may need to press in the caliper piston to make space for the new pads fit, this can be done by hand.

Just make sure you put the spacer right side up or you will have an insane squeal.

Hope that helps
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2018, 07:06 PM   #3
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Thank you - that’s great! A pad slap without rotor resurfacing has come to mind, but the chamfer worked last time. Thing is, there has to be some other systemmatic issue that causes this to happen twice with the same pads, which aren’t showing a ton of wear (though they dust like mad).

That’s why I have to wonder if it’s lubrication somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 04:52 AM   #4
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

BMW sells a brake pad paste. Apply it to the metal to metal contact areas.

I had the same problem as you. I solved it by sticking about 40g of lead wheel weights to each pad's existing weights. So 20g per weight. It works like Dynamat to a door. You change the frequency of the vibration to one that is pretty much inaudible.
Appreciate 0