BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #23
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

I quickly verified for leaks, but did not find any, and fluid level was also perfect (full level). I found the cheapest Pentosin CHF 11S fluid at a local VW dealer.

If I did boil my fluid, and go ahead and replace with CHF 11S, how often will I need to do this? I was quite surprised by this occuring on a recent 135i, but then again not so much, as I just moved up to the next lapping level. Consequently, started adding a little more speed to my sessions, and exibited a little more understeer and front tire shredding + overheat.

I still got lapped by the entire group, so Im assuming I was not that quick or hard on the car. The understeering issue which Im trying to resolve is probably not helping matters (see my post here http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...7#post14619797).
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts

Last edited by dcaron9999; 09-06-2013 at 06:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #24
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
My buddies first generation CTS-V boils it's power steering so much that he takes a bottle of power steering fluid with him when he goes to the 'Ring. My 135 does just a little: enough that I cut off the tip of an old black sock and covered the reservoir, but not so much that I have to carry a bottle of fluid with me. I check the fluid level after every "track day" type event and every time I change the oil. It's never been low enough to cause the rack to make noise, just enough that I need a slight top-off.
      09-06-2013, 06:38 AM   #25
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kleen View Post
My buddies first generation CTS-V boils it's power steering so much that he takes a bottle of power steering fluid with him when he goes to the 'Ring. My 135 does just a little: enough that I cut off the tip of an old black sock and covered the reservoir, but not so much that I have to carry a bottle of fluid with me. I check the fluid level after every "track day" type event and every time I change the oil. It's never been low enough to cause the rack to make noise, just enough that I need a slight top-off.
So in your buddy's CTS-V, is the boil over causing the leak though the reservoir lid (pressure escape hole)? In my case, the morning after the event, the level of fluid was at the full mark with cold car. Again, in my case, did not notice fluid overflow or spill in the engine bay, or around the PS reservoir. Just that unmistakened whining noise when turning the steering wheel left or right at low speeds, after I was done with the second lapping session. Noise was gone when engine + steering rack + PS pump + liquid were cooled down.
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #26
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Sounds like boiled or cavitated fluid. The noise is caused by bubbles in the fluid.

If the fluid is bubbling over out of the reservoir, it could be caused by air getting pulled into the system between the pump and the reservoir.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #27
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
So in your buddy's CTS-V, is the boil over causing the leak though the reservoir lid (pressure escape hole)? In my case, the morning after the event, the level of fluid was at the full mark with cold car. Again, in my case, did not notice fluid overflow or spill in the engine bay, or around the PS reservoir. Just that unmistakened whining noise when turning the steering wheel left or right at low speeds, after I was done with the second lapping session. Noise was gone when engine + steering rack + PS pump + liquid were cooled down.
Yes, it flows out around the reservoir cap like my 135 does only MUCH worse.
      09-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #28
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Sounds like boiled or cavitated fluid. The noise is caused by bubbles in the fluid.

If the fluid is bubbling over out of the reservoir, it could be caused by air getting pulled into the system between the pump and the reservoir.
No leaks to be noted. Spoke to my mechanic this morning, and he had an interesting diagnosis for my issue. He thinks that my hot radiator might have transferred heat to my power steering cooler passing through the radiator, and hence the PS liquid got hot, and caused the whining pump noise.

There is no real way around it I suppose, without increased cooling or dedicated cooling, such as in the BMW PPK 2 kit (Auxiliary Water Cooler and an Enhanced Radiator Fan to reduce the higher thermal stresses).

My CHF 11S PS liquid still looks clean, and still has a slight green tint to it.

To be continued ... 'will keep a close eye at the next lapping events.

Last edited by dcaron9999; 09-06-2013 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #29
mikal7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i / Rx7 Turbo

bumping this thread,

anyone replace the ps fluid with motul or redline alternatives>?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #30
Spec Volcanic
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

I had the PS pump replaced under warranty...

Same problem as other have described (need to rev up the car to get the wheel to turn. I also had metal in the PS system. The metal is from the internals of the PS... why they rubbed or whatever that cause the abnormal wear, don't know Fluid level was fine. But what I do know is metal in PS systems means a you need a PS pump and the fluid flushed.
http://www.wcma.ca/new/
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #31
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec Volcanic View Post
I had the PS pump replaced under warranty...

Same problem as other have described (need to rev up the car to get the wheel to turn. I also had metal in the PS system. The metal is from the internals of the PS... why they rubbed or whatever that cause the abnormal wear, don't know Fluid level was fine. But what I do know is metal in PS systems means a you need a PS pump and the fluid flushed.
At how many miles?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #32
Spec Volcanic
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
At how many miles?
about 5000km
http://www.wcma.ca/new/
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #33
jhonson3141
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1msd View Post
Anyone on here had problems with power steering going solid? After some hard driving mine seized up a couple of weeks ago and has been in the dealership since. The steering was easy to turn if revving higher to take off. Seems to be a problem with swarf inside the pump. Anyway its now being repaired under warranty....power steering pump, power steering rack and all hoses/piping being replaced. Some parts have been on back order so is taking some time to get it sorted! A heads up for you guys in case it happens to you in the future!

i have similar issue with mine. it happened when i am drifting. the difference is my car goes back to normal after cooling down the car and the tyre. I thought it was a sticky tyres that i have on the front(ad08) but after reading this thread I was not certain that my PS is problem free. the engine bay is really dirty so i cant tell if there is any leakage but i will see tomorrow.

It will be really embarrass to show up at dealer with my situation. cause dealer always wants the road test the car and see if it really happens...
Appreciate 0