kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
New Orange Beast

But not of the Valencia variety. Sorry for the click bait. I have been considering an F80 for awhile, particularly because a roomy 4 door makes having a fun car even better with my 4 yr old daughter tagging along. She even picked the color. Not much to report about since I've logged a whopping 50 miles. This generation of M car is special in its own way...very usable, nice place to be, dishes out a rapid pace, and I still get a manual tranny. And before you even ask, no it's not a 1M, and heck no I didn't sell mine for it ;-).

Curious how many others on this forum sport an F80 along with your 1M, and are you are happy with both? They seem so different, I don't think it will ever feel redundant.

Esteban42190.00
      04-30-2017, 09:18 PM   #2
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
beautiful car...your thinking is similar to mine...I've been deliberating an M3 to add to my 1M...what color is this?
      05-01-2017, 12:51 AM   #3
digwm1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

sweet ride, digging the color, i'd totally pick up an f80 too only id probably get mine dct to daily and keep the 1m as the weekend toy
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 01:15 AM   #4
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
beautiful car...your thinking is similar to mine...I've been deliberating an M3 to add to my 1M...what color is this?
Thank you! It is Sakhir Orange II
      05-01-2017, 05:17 AM   #5
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
Very nice car. If I had a 5 car garage I just might join you.

Believe it or not in my case my current primary and only car (AW 1M) was a compromise going bigger than my initial target. My better half insisted that the car have four doors and four seats. I eventually convinced her to compromise on the doors, but the seats needed to be four. Luckily for me my better half and her mom (main passengers) are on the height challenged side. The cramped quarters of the 1M rear are acceptable, and squeezing in not too difficult. The fact that the better half also found the 1M amazingly "cute" certainly helped!

I'm sorry to pollute the forum with non-BMW info, but one of my two smaller second dream cars is Japanese: BMW Z3 M Coupe or a Honda S2000 (blasphemy). I'd buy whichever one appeared before me at a price too good to refuse. I still need to convince my friend to let me borrow his second parking spot, though...

No intention to argue that going smaller is more right than going bigger. Just presenting a different perspective that I hope 1M owners will find amusing. Peace.
      05-01-2017, 06:02 AM   #6
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Wish they made an M3 with Xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 07:17 AM   #7
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Very nice. Love the color.

Great choice. Your 4 year old has impeccable taste.

Last edited by Esteban; 05-01-2017 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 07:17 AM   #8
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

Nice color. I seem to like the overall shape and look of the M3 more than the M4 .. it just flows better.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2017, 08:08 AM   #9
HawkeyeGeoff
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335XI MSport, S2000

Garage List
Very nice.

The F80 is definitely BIG compared to an E90. It's really the size of a E series 5 series. I really enjoy it though (auto engineer so I end up in a lot of vehicles for various reasons).

Did you end up with the competition package or the regular M3? And how do you like the rev matching? I think it's a great around the town feature for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 09:16 AM   #10
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff View Post
Very nice.

The F80 is definitely BIG compared to an E90. It's really the size of a E series 5 series. I really enjoy it though (auto engineer so I end up in a lot of vehicles for various reasons).

Did you end up with the competition package or the regular M3? And how do you like the rev matching? I think it's a great around the town feature for sure.
Thanks all. Much appreciated.

This is a Comp Pack M3...can't say from experience how it compares to a "base" M3, but those on the F80 forum who have had both make it sound like the Comp Pack is a game changer in some regards. With the ZCP and factory/port installed M performance exhaust, it has some nice character to it. I was most skeptical with steering, but while it may not have the attributes of the hydraulic unit we enjoy, it's not as "bad" as the media has made it seem. The rev match in sport mode takes a little getting used to. It's not as well executed as the Porsche Spyder...that comes off as almost natural in sound and drivetrain effect. But the nice thing is it is only in Sport mode (sounds like the M2 has it unless you go full on sport mode and defeat the nannies) ...Comfort and Sport Plus modes don't have it active, so you have some choices. Now I just need to delete the fake sound....
      05-01-2017, 09:28 AM   #11
HawkeyeGeoff
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335XI MSport, S2000

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskpsu View Post
Thanks all. Much appreciated.

This is a Comp Pack M3...can't say from experience how it compares to a "base" M3, but those on the F80 forum who have had both make it sound like the Comp Pack is a game changer in some regards. With the ZCP and factory/port installed M performance exhaust, it has some nice character to it. I was most skeptical with steering, but while it may not have the attributes of the hydraulic unit we enjoy, it's not as "bad" as the media has made it seem. The rev match in sport mode takes a little getting used to. It's not as well executed as the Porsche Spyder...that comes off as almost natural in sound and drivetrain effect. But the nice thing is it is only in Sport mode (sounds like the M2 has it unless you go full on sport mode and defeat the nannies) ...Comfort and Sport Plus modes don't have it active, so you have some choices. Now I just need to delete the fake sound....

Ha!

I didn't want to insult you with my gripes about the car, but I agree with the hilarious fake sound that comes out of those front speakers.

In my experience, the car really isn't proper without the Comp Pack. The base M3 has tons of traction issues, chassis is lacking stiffness and the alignment is really pretty garbage. With the Comp pack all these issues are fixed and really makes the car a shining star in a turd of a generation (F body in general). I think BMW realized this....and immediately are switching to the G generation. Might be one of the shortest generations ever for BMW lol!

Congrats on the purchase I'm sure you will have fun. One of my favorite features of it is the light up M emblems on the seats.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 11:22 AM   #12
Mr. Wilson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM, X5M

I have had my F80 DCT for the past year along side my 1M. I also have a 4yr old. Very different cars. The F80 is an extremely capable car and acts as a great DD. It doesn't bring a smile to my face like the 1M but that was never my original intention. I can see myself owning this car past 2020. Very versatile and as I mentioned very capable. Far more capable then anything I can do with it.
Appreciate 1
kskpsu175.50
      05-01-2017, 06:14 PM   #13
Osiris
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2011 1M  [0.00]
2016 M4 GTS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson View Post
I have had my F80 DCT for the past year along side my 1M. I also have a 4yr old. Very different cars. The F80 is an extremely capable car and acts as a great DD. It doesn't bring a smile to my face like the 1M but that was never my original intention. I can see myself owning this car past 2020. Very versatile and as I mentioned very capable. Far more capable then anything I can do with it.
Have 1M and m4Gts. Must say in my case 1M is the nice one in my situation.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 06:32 PM   #14
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Beautiful car man! That's cool you let your daughter pick the color...she made a great choice. I might do the same but can't decide if i should keep my 135 or not lol. I also have a 4 yo daughter...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 07:03 PM   #15
Ender_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO, V60 Polestar '24

Nice colour!

No F80, but F30...Needed a winter car with AWD, so went with the 340xi. The 340i is pretty nice, sometimes I want to drive something a bit more relaxing (but still with a bit of power ). Not sure I would want two M cars...do you not find it a out of the pot into the pan?

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 07:56 PM   #16
Mr. Wilson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM, X5M

Got to say Osiris and Ender_ Awesome pics boys for very different reasons.
Appreciate 1
Osiris64.50
      05-02-2017, 08:12 AM   #17
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson View Post
Got to say Osiris and Ender_ Awesome pics boys for very different reasons.
I second that Cringing a little at how close the 1M is to the wall in that garage though!
Appreciate 1
Osiris64.50
      05-02-2017, 08:53 PM   #18
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
Beautiful car man! That's cool you let your daughter pick the color...she made a great choice. I might do the same but can't decide if i should keep my 135 or not lol. I also have a 4 yo daughter...
What's funny is I was set on a Jahre and the gorgeous Macao Blue. She zipped by those pics on my phone and fixated on the ones I took of this Sakhir at my local dealership. Not to diminish the coolness of the Jahre, but this car is going to be a driver, comes in my favorite "standard" hue (which apparently aligns with my daughter's taste), is setup better out of the box with things like the M Performance Exhaust, and saves about $10k. I know, I know...better resale on a Jahre. I accepted the Jahre is paint, trim, and badging...and this thing will get driven heavily, maybe even in winter. Sure is interesting when a 4yr old brings objectivity to the table and influences her irrational dad
      05-02-2017, 09:00 PM   #19
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender_ View Post
Nice colour!

No F80, but F30...Needed a winter car with AWD, so went with the 340xi. The 340i is pretty nice, sometimes I want to drive something a bit more relaxing (but still with a bit of power ). Not sure I would want two M cars...do you not find it a out of the pot into the pan?

Never such a thing as too many M cars. An F80 and 1M continue to remind me that they are similar in eliciting driver emotion and pleasure, yet are somehow polar opposites. I helped a buddy pick up a 340 xDrive a couple months ago, and I came away madly impressed with the tweaks. Enjoy yours in good health. For me, the Volvo plays that role and is quite possibly one of the most underrated cars on the road today.
      05-03-2017, 12:50 AM   #20
Augu$tu$
Private
Canada
Rep

It's an enjoyable pair of M cars to have for sure.

If you need a daily driver, the F80 is a smart choice. It's easy to be quick, gives you the advantage of being able to experience two different generations of M, and keeps you within warranty which is always comforting. Definitely NEED the Comp Pack with the F80.
If you're simply wanting an M3, I'd have to recommend an E90. The sedan can surprisingly be more rewarding than the coupe here and the high revving naturally aspirated V8 is able to scratch an itch, that for me, the 1M can never seem to fully satisfy. This is just my opinion, but despite being from the same generation, I feel like you might find "more" of what BMW has to offer with a this pair.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 11:26 AM   #21
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augu$tu$ View Post
...the high revving naturally aspirated V8 is able to scratch an itch, that for me, the 1M can never seem to fully satisfy.
I totally agree with you here. This is precisely why I have an E92 M3 and a 1M. The S65 is glorious, and one of the best engines ever created.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 10:42 PM   #22
Augu$tu$
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
I totally agree with you here. This is precisely why I have an E92 M3 and a 1M. The S65 is glorious, and one of the best engines ever created.
Yup! Spengler M3 and 1M are like 'peas and carrots' together.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0