BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #1
digwm1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

pole position abe vs sportster cs vs spg xl

about to go through on getting an aftermarket seat for my drivers side, was wondering what everyones experiences with these seats were. my main concern is with ride height, i have relatively short legs so i sit with the seat pretty far forward which makes it hard for a helmet to fit under the headliners. sat in all three and from what i remember the poles were snug but comfortable (felt best for track duty), sportsters fit like stock seats (tons of space, probably great for dailying), and the spg xl's seemed a good mix of the two. my main reason for not going with the spg xl's is i'd like to keep the stock 3 point belt (as i daily the car and would like to keep from resorting to a roll bar for harnesses) and the materials. my main worry for the sportsters is ride height. from what ive read on the forum everyone is basically getting the manual seat height yes? which is like an inch and a half or so? i think ideally im looking for at least two to three inches. and for the poles i just wanted to confirm with forum members running them, would you say you dropped a good amount of height? are you guys running with or without sliders? and were you guys coming from manual or electric seats when you put the poles in? thanks guys

also how important do you guys think the side airbags are?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 02:31 PM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Why don't you find a 128i or 1M with manual seats and try them out first? You would keep airbags which are important. i would do that first. You should be able to find a 128i on Carmax and try it out. Few 135s had manual seats but also out there. I'm in San Diego if you want to sit in mine you can try that too.
Appreciate 1
digwm170.50
      05-02-2017, 02:34 PM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Also I go to cars and coffee aliso viejo often. We could meet there on day and you can try sit in them. I think you would be fine. My wife is 5'2"" with short legs and she drove 1M on autobahn with no issues on manual seats. Are you shorter than 5'2"?
Appreciate 1
digwm170.50
      05-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #4
digwm1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Why don't you find a 128i or 1M with manual seats and try them out first? You would keep airbags which are important. i would do that first. You should be able to find a 128i on Carmax and try it out. Few 135s had manual seats but also out there. I'm in San Diego if you want to sit in mine you can try that too.
Quote:
Also I go to cars and coffee aliso viejo often. We could meet there on day and you can try sit in them. I think you would be fine. My wife is 5'2"" with short legs and she drove 1M on autobahn with no issues on manual seats. Are you shorter than 5'2"?
ooh that would be much appreciated, are the aliso viejo cars and coffee's every weekend/is there one you're planning to attend anytime soon? i did think about getting 1 series manual seats but couldn't find any/didn't think of searching thru 128's. i'm actually 5'10 but with a 30" inseam and with the way i sit i barely have an inch above and my head basically knocks on the roof handles with the power seats at their lowest and with a helmet on
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 04:49 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digwm1 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
ooh that would be much appreciated, are the aliso viejo cars and coffee's every weekend/is there one you're planning to attend anytime soon? i did think about getting 1 series manual seats but couldn't find any/didn't think of searching thru 128's. i'm actually 5'10 but with a 30" inseam and with the way i sit i barely have an inch above and my head basically knocks on the roof handles with the power seats at their lowest and with a helmet on
Yeah I'm 5' 10 too. Cars and coffee is every Saturday morning starting at 6:30-9. I'll probably be there Saturday morning. If you read early 1M reviews many reviewers said you sit on top of the car. They were in power seat cars. When I was in the market for my 2nd 1M. I also found the seating position less than ideal. Luckily I found another no nav 1M. I'm pretty sure you could find a 128i seat and even transfer upholstery or just get custom stuff. I actually prefer Alcántara and was thinking of Alcántara middle section . pM me and we can exchange phone numbers. Like I said. Wife is 5,2" and no problems. You also keep airbags. You might even be able to order 1M seat with orange stitching in manual just for driver side?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #6
digwm1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I'm 5' 10 too. Cars and coffee is every Saturday morning starting at 6:30-9. I'll probably be there Saturday morning. If you read early 1M reviews many reviewers said you sit on top of the car. They were in power seat cars. When I was in the market for my 2nd 1M. I also found the seating position less than ideal. Luckily I found another no nav 1M. I'm pretty sure you could find a 128i seat and even transfer upholstery or just get custom stuff. I actually prefer Alcántara and was thinking of Alcántara middle section . pM me and we can exchange phone numbers. Like I said. Wife is 5,2" and no problems. You also keep airbags. You might even be able to order 1M seat with orange stitching in manual just for driver side?
awesome, i'll have sent over my number and i'll head over this saturday to see you then, and totally know what that sitting on top of the car feeling is (no fault of the car, only the fault of me who bought the car with power seats hahaha). if i end up liking the manual seats might just have to go with your idea of upholstering some 128's or if ordering manual 1m seats are possible that'd be totally sick, thanks nachob
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 07:46 PM   #7
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
awesome, i'll have sent over my number and i'll head over this saturday to see you then, and totally know what that sitting on top of the car feeling is (no fault of the car, only the fault of me who bought the car with power seats hahaha). if i end up liking the manual seats might just have to go with your idea of upholstering some 128's or if ordering manual 1m seats are possible that'd be totally sick, thanks nachob
It would make sense to keep full safety and still get BMW quality seats that tilt forward for passengers. Another benefit with manual seats is that they slide forward quickly for rear seat access. Aside from lighter that was another reason i wanted them. Kids get in and out of back seat quickly. Electric slide slow.
Appreciate 1
digwm170.50
      05-02-2017, 07:51 PM   #8
digwm1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It would make sense to keep full safety and still get BMW quality seats that tilt forward for passengers. Another benefit with manual seats is that they slide forward quickly for rear seat access. Aside from lighter that was another reason i wanted them. Kids get in and out of back seat quickly. Electric slide slow.
yeah i should have thought of that, just going to have to rectify the situation with new seats and actually another reason i put the recaro sportsters on my list is cause i'd be able to order them with the side airbags and heating like the performance seats
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 08:00 PM   #9
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
yeah i should have thought of that, just going to have to rectify the situation with new seats and actually another reason i put the recaro sportsters on my list is cause i'd be able to order them with the side airbags and heating like the performance seats
I'm a big recaro fan. I even had recaro boosters for kids. Just not sure with their tails how low you can go. Manual seats can go pretty low. You can still get them but just try the seats out. You might even find another 1M guy to trade with. Someone might want the memory option even if higher. I even saw a guy at cars and coffee with a 135 that out e90 M3 manual seats in his car.
Appreciate 1
digwm170.50
      05-02-2017, 08:16 PM   #10
digwm1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm a big recaro fan. I even had recaro boosters for kids. Just not sure with their tails how low you can go. Manual seats can go pretty low. You can still get them but just try the seats out. You might even find another 1M guy to trade with. Someone might want the memory option even if higher. I even saw a guy at cars and coffee with a 135 that out e90 M3 manual seats in his car.
i've been meaning to look through the e90 classifieds as well for manual seats (they seem hard to come by though! everyone seems to have gone powered), will be cool to see another 1m haven't seen one in the area yet, look forward to seeing you this sat
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 08:22 PM   #11
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
i've been meaning to look through the e90 classifieds as well for manual seats (they seem hard to come by though! everyone seems to have gone powered), will be cool to see another 1m haven't seen one in the area yet, look forward to seeing you this sat
M3 manual seats super rare but they are very nice and 135i guy said they bolted on easy peezy
Appreciate 1
digwm170.50
      05-02-2017, 08:39 PM   #12
digwm1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
M3 manual seats super rare but they are very nice and 135i guy said they bolted on easy peezy
haha yeah i'd imagine them hard to find hahaha probably about as hard as finding bmw performance seats now
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 11:02 AM   #13
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Man, too bad its so far away. I would buy these myself!

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1234230

They should bolt right in and you can even re-upholster
Appreciate 1
digwm170.50
      05-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #14
digwm1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Man, too bad its so far away. I would buy these myself!

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1234230

They should bolt right in and you can even re-upholster
ooh thats quite the find, manual m3 seat for that price too, looks like sale is pending as of yesterday though :T
Appreciate 0