BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-10-2018, 09:38 PM   #23
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken View Post
Same noise. Have had it since I can remember. I had a family member who rebuilds transmissions look at it and listen to it while running on a lift. Figured out it's the oil pump in the transmission making the noise and it's not hurting anything.

Hope that helps.

2011 N55 DCT
I have a 2011 N55 DCT as well and have had the same sound since always. Never really worried about it and thought it was just another 'normal' sound from these engines, but good to hear you had it checked out and confirmed it is normal.

Edit: meant to say just another 'normal' sound from these cars, since the sound is not actually coming from the engine.
      10-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #24
Elderado82
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Its good to hear that news from someone that works on transmissions. After talking to my tech we both were pretty much under same assumption that it was just a noise and he was thinking that it may be the pump just being noisy.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 11:07 PM   #25
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by neepertech View Post
Update. 2 days after I connected ISTA+ to it there has been no more of the noise. It fucking stopped. All previous symptoms have been absent for about a month. I dealt with it for 3+ months prior. I was worried that it was a fluid level and the tranny was scavenging for fluid. I dropped the underbody pan today and pulled the tranny fill plug. IT WAS FULL! I'm at a WTF and FML point now. Noise has stopped, tranny is full of DCT fluid. I put the car on 4 point stands, checked level then pulled the allen plug and a good bit of the "lifetime" fluid ran out! I need to send back 2L of Pentosin DCT fluid back to ECS. I have no fucking idea what is/was wrong with it. No more noises, it's never acted bad. Just was really noisy and I still don't like it. I'm going to have the dealer change all DCT fluids and filters as a precautionary when I can get it to the city. The good news is is that it does not seem to be a catastrophic causing failure. I still drive the shit out of it and it always hooks up with no slippage. It's an awesome transmission. I did diagnose what I though was tranny pan leakage to a bad motor oil change. The motor pan was caked with overspill. It's all cleaned up now and will report back in a month or 2 with another trans fluid check.

Through the ISTA+ software you can run the tranny through the gear actuators with the clutch pack disengaged manually which I did. Maybe this cleared something up???? Hell if I know.

I'd like to add that the tranny has 93k on it and the fluid that came out looked good but had a dark tint to it. It looked like synth motor oil after 1k miles. Too dark for my tastes but what I would expect with a wet clutch with half the miles. This tranny seems to have an awesome filtering system. I've never done the transmissions any favors and am willing to beat the piss out of it to find a breaking point. It looks to be holding up though. It never slips, and always grabs under max torque. It did not smell or taste for that matter burnt or of abuse. I am familiar with wet clutches in bikes and this looks very clean. Getreg made a good one and I'm quite impressed.

I hate to end a thread this way but I DON'T FUCKING KNOW guys!
You opened the filler with the engine off? Oil will definitely come out. That is why you have to do the initial check with the engine idling, and top off once the fluid is 40*c. The pump needs to be spinning and circulating the oil to achieve the correct fill level.

Re-adapting the transmission/clutch can fix a lot of issues!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 10:28 PM   #26
mkhanshaw
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible

Well you can add me to the list -

2012 135i N55 Convertible w sport pkg.

Like someone else already noted, has happened since I can remember but seems to be getting worse over time. I also notice if im on a slight incline..backing up...the DCT seems to "slip/catch" a little, causing a judder. I swear this damn thing is at the dealer as often as its on the road.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 09:56 PM   #27
neepertech
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderado82 View Post
+1

This is what I am doing, on Friday. As I have the exact same sound coming from the passenger side of the transmission. I'll keep you all updated on what my Indy says.
Any update Elderado82? Still having the noise with no issues?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 09:14 AM   #28
JacobS20
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderado82 View Post
Ok, took the car in on Friday to get the DCT looked at to see if there is a reason behind the light squawking sound coming from the passenger side.

Well my mechanic said its without a doubt the DCT making the noise. They got it up on a lift checked for leaks, nothing. Checked the fluid and filter for signs of grit or wear n' tare, nothing. Made sure it's running the latest firmware and it is. Checked for any inconsistencies with shifting, any grinding reports, pump issues, or pressure issues and found, well nothing.

The mechanic also contacted some others in his network of BMW mechanics and they have no idea why the DCT is making this noise. So I'm at a loss here as to why or what is causing this. Like yourself neepertech the car pulls very well and shifts well just has this noise.

If we have any other late model 135i's out there with a DCT that's making this same noise, I wonder? Or, is this a very rare circumstance?
I just noticed the sound this morning. I was underneath looking for signs of the oil that's burning off on the passenger side that I believe is most likely a valve cover gasket leak.

Anyway, I only have ramps so I was limited in what I could see. I don't really have the time to take all the covers underneath off, but I heard this exact noise. Definitely in the transmission but like others I'm having no problems with shifting or slipping that I can tell. I've only had the car 6 months and I'm coming from a 99 4cyl Jeep Wrangler so there's a ton I don't know or getting familiar with but still, it seems normal.

I haven't driven it incredibly hard recently because I've noticed the oil leak but it still seems okay. I'm definitely interested to see if anyone gets update on this.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 12:39 PM   #29
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

Replaced the pan and filters and noticed a much slighter cyclic sound. Wonder if it is the same thing. Little different for me because it is an aftermarket pan with an included extension for the jet pump suction...kicking myself for not taking the time to listen to the DCT from underneath before I change the pan, filters, and oil. Would know what normal sounds like from underneath!

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 11:12 AM   #30
Tibi_M2
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: BMW OG M2 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by neepertech View Post
*UPDATE(9/4/18) :This is a DCT Noise and is currently unresolved. Read through the post for the details. I'll keep this space as current as I can for those following.

Turn up the speakers a bit. I've been having this Groan/hum/vibration that happens ever few seconds while running. It's the womp womp sound you can hear in the vid. It's an 2011 DCT with 90k on it, The water pump and t-stat was replace at 75k.

Any ideas? Thanks guys!

I noticed the noise also in my M2 DCT, are there any reason behind? Do somebody found it? I read the whole thread but nothing usefull

Thanks

Last edited by Tibi_M2; 02-21-2024 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0