BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-11-2020, 03:51 PM   #1
accomotors
Free Spirit Tattoo Racing
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i

Water Pump

Hi all.
Having some issues with my N52 powered 2006 E87 130i race car. It appears that the water pump is not functioning correctly. Below is a brief run down of what I have done so far:
  • Start vehicle as normal. temperature rises to 220°f with no action from water pump or cooling fan. switch engine off.
  • swap out ECU and start engine again. same problem.
  • remove and replace entire pump/thermostat assembly. start car. same problem. put original ECU back in. problem remains.
  • disconnect factory wiring from pump and manually drive pump using constant 12v supply from outside battery (pins 1/2 constant power, pin 4 earth). pump fires straight up. start engine, now when temperature reaches 210, cooling fan starts running and varies speed to keep temperature at 210.
That is how I figure it should work in factory form, with the fan and pump working together to keep temperatures stable.
I tested the factory wiring at the pump, and it appears to be getting all the right signals. It recently came from the dyno where the tuner told me it was all working fine including the fan.
I'm at a complete loss here. I am really hoping someone will be able to shed some light on the situation. People tell me to just put an aftermarket pump and everything in it, but at this stage I think that is just bypassing a problem and not addressing it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
SSO Handling and Storage
Penrite Oil
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 05:02 PM   #2
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by accomotors View Post
Hi all.
Having some issues with my N52 powered 2006 E87 130i race car. It appears that the water pump is not functioning correctly. Below is a brief run down of what I have done so far:
  • Start vehicle as normal. temperature rises to 220°f with no action from water pump or cooling fan. switch engine off.
  • swap out ECU and start engine again. same problem.
  • remove and replace entire pump/thermostat assembly. start car. same problem. put original ECU back in. problem remains.
  • disconnect factory wiring from pump and manually drive pump using constant 12v supply from outside battery (pins 1/2 constant power, pin 4 earth). pump fires straight up. start engine, now when temperature reaches 210, cooling fan starts running and varies speed to keep temperature at 210.
That is how I figure it should work in factory form, with the fan and pump working together to keep temperatures stable.
I tested the factory wiring at the pump, and it appears to be getting all the right signals. It recently came from the dyno where the tuner told me it was all working fine including the fan.
I'm at a complete loss here. I am really hoping someone will be able to shed some light on the situation. People tell me to just put an aftermarket pump and everything in it, but at this stage I think that is just bypassing a problem and not addressing it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Fire up INPA and test the pump and thermostat using the controls. Easy to figure out what's going on
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 08:25 PM   #3
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Are you pulling the 220F measurement from the ECU/OBD? Could it be the coolant temp sensor?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 05:08 PM   #4
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Not sure if this helps or under what conditions you see 220F but 100C or 212F is normal operating temp. for my car when cruising at a steady speed. 105C is not that unusual under those conditions. Temp. drops to about 85C when I'm pushing, then returns to 100C+ when I back off to cruise. I monitor this with an AccuGauge permanently connected to the OBD.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 06:39 AM   #5
accomotors
Free Spirit Tattoo Racing
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i

Just an update on all this. Apologies for not previously replying.

It seems that I was simply not allowing the car to run hot enough before assuming there was a problem. Olgeezer1 was correct, and 220F+ is normal for the car at idle or very minimal load. I pushed my nerve a little more and brought the temperature up even further and low-and-behold, the fans and pump kicked in and down the temp came.

Last month at the circuit, the car ran faultlessly in the temperature department.

Thanks to all those who offered assistance/thoughts.
SSO Handling and Storage
Penrite Oil
Appreciate 1
rjahl996.00