BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-05-2021, 07:59 PM   #1
JemBash
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

Please help! Is this rod bearings ?

Please help me! I have this horrible knocking noise whenever I accelerate in my bmw in drive sport. Here is the video of my car and how it sounds can someone please help me I really hope it's not rod bearings it's 2011 and only has 55k miles

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 09:06 PM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemBash View Post
Please help me! I have this horrible knocking noise whenever I accelerate in my bmw in drive sport. Here is the video of my car and how it sounds can someone please help me I really hope it's not rod bearings it's 2011 and only has 55k miles
Why do you think it's rod bearings? It just sounds like something is loose, perhaps a heat shield, or maybe something in the transmission/flywheel somewhere (is it a manual or auto).

Rod bearings wouldn't make a "rattle" type of noise, if the bearings are that loose to cause a rattle, pretty sure the engine would have exploded by now if you revved it like that

Does it drive normally otherwise? Power seems OK? At the end of the day you'll need to take it in to get it checked out, diagnosing via a youtube video on an internet forum is not going to be too reliable!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 09:17 PM   #3
JemBash
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Quote:
Why do you think it's rod bearings? It just sounds like something is loose, perhaps a heat shield, or maybe something in the transmission/flywheel somewhere (is it a manual or auto).

Rod bearings wouldn't make a "rattle" type of noise, if the bearings are that loose to cause a rattle, pretty sure the engine would have exploded by now if you revved it like that

Does it drive normally otherwise? Power seems OK? At the end of the day you'll need to take it in to get it checked out, diagnosing via a youtube video on an internet forum is not going to be too reliable!
Thanks for the reply man! The car is automatic l, I only hear the rattle when I'm in either drive sport or when I go in Manuel. I hear it in Manuel 1,2, and 3. But besides that the car drives perfect. Only reason why I thought it was rod bearings is because I seen some silver in my oil filter. Please let me know what you think
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 09:19 PM   #4
JemBash
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Another thing I wanted to tell you is that this noise happened once I got my value cover gasket replaced. When I went to the shop to pick up the car I heard this noise wen I went in sport mode. I went back to my shop and told them and they said it was a coincidence but something inside me is telling me they messed something up fixing my value cover gasket
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 09:35 PM   #5
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Another thing I wanted to tell you is that this noise happened once I got my value cover gasket replaced. When I went to the shop to pick up the car I heard this noise wen I went in sport mode. I went back to my shop and told them and they said it was a coincidence but something inside me is telling me they messed something up fixing my value cover gasket
That is odd - I mean it might be related to a pulley or tensioner, or something in the VANOS. But really, you're going to just have someone look at it unfortunately.

As for the silver/filings in your oil - don't know what to say about that....you may want to get an oil analysis done as that can help pinpoint if there is abnormal wear and tear on your engine internals....
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 06:15 PM   #6
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

JemBash saw your update in the other forum. Sorry about your engine dying on you, hope it's not rod bearings, best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 06:21 PM   #7
JemBash
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
JemBash saw your update in the other forum. Sorry about your engine dying on you, hope it's not rod bearings, best of luck.
Yes man I'm so upset thank you for the concern. Shut down in the middle of street today while I was driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 09:31 PM   #8
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Quote:
Yes man I'm so upset thank you for the concern. Shut down in the middle of street today while I was driving.
So what was the ultimate problem and failure?

Did you ever get your engine checked out?

Also how much metal in the oil are we taking about?

I see some random stray flakes when I change mine but I think that's fairly normal….
Appreciate 0