BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read




 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-15-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
Tornado1M
Lieutenant
Tornado1M's Avatar
United_States
379
Rep
489
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

$180,000 1M ????????

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...m/2313303.html
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 10:54 PM   #2
arch2r84
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: bmw 335i
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

vin says its a 135i
Appreciate 2
10"2077.50
Tornado1M378.50

      09-16-2019, 08:31 AM   #3
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
76
Rep
229
Posts

Drives: 1M, F26
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WI

iTrader: (1)

Nice project car, crackpipe price. Had they started with an actual 1M chassis instead of the 135i? mmmm, still crackpipe price.
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M378.50

      09-16-2019, 11:29 AM   #4
Tornado1M
Lieutenant
Tornado1M's Avatar
United_States
379
Rep
489
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2r84 View Post
vin says its a 135i
I was wondering 🤔

Pretty cool for maybe $50K.....not $180k 😳
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 12:41 PM   #5
CarJunkie
Major
United_States
451
Rep
1,392
Posts

Drives: e82 1M, e30 325e, f15 X5 40e
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tri-Cities, Washington

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1986 BMW 325e  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
2018 BMW X5 xDrive40e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
How stupid do they think buyers are?
__________________
K&N panel filter, ER chargepipe, AD engineering FMIC, Mad Dad midpipe, Lightweight Ti axleback, MHD Stage 2+, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins Road and Track, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 convertible FSB with Turner adjustable links
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M378.50

      09-16-2019, 01:45 PM   #6
MightyMouseTech
Major General
MightyMouseTech's Avatar
3412
Rep
5,387
Posts

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

So, it's just an overpriced M3?!?
Appreciate 3
Dackelone9002.00
Tornado1M378.50
Tuxedo383.00

      09-17-2019, 09:47 AM   #7
Rekraps
USMA 81
United_States
79
Rep
191
Posts

Drives: Own two 1M's, VO total OEM
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Be nice you guys! They obviously did not read the specs on the 1M, or would already know that the car is a ton of M3 already, to include brakes, subframe, rear end, mirrors and more. In fact the stock motor generates the same power as the third generation M3.

The 1M is already 55MM wider than the 135, but shares the shifter and six speed transmission with its cousin.

So, by the time they get done, they will have a very expensive 1M clone, with a M3 V8. I can't wait to see the pics.

But..... nothing beats having the original... or two!
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M378.50

      09-20-2019, 07:00 PM   #8
1&done
Major
1&done's Avatar
United_States
179
Rep
1,492
Posts

Drives: 2011 VO 1M
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Jupiter, FL

iTrader: (27)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to 1&done
I could be wrong, however, I believe the owner bailed during the build and the shop doing the conversion kept the car, completed, and resold to recoup the cash.
__________________
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 09:03 PM   #9
JP-1M
Private First Class
JP-1M's Avatar
Japan
116
Rep
144
Posts

Drives: Alpine White 1M
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Japan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekraps View Post
The 1M is already 55MM wider than the 135, but shares the shifter and six speed transmission with its cousin.
Hi. FYI the 1M does not share a transmission with the 135 (or any other car). It is a bespoke Getrag specifically for the 1M.

Peace.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 12:50 PM   #10
10"
Major
10"'s Avatar
2078
Rep
1,293
Posts

Drives: orange BMW 1M.
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Brooklyn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-1M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekraps View Post
The 1M is already 55MM wider than the 135, but shares the shifter and six speed transmission with its cousin.
Hi. FYI the 1M does not share a transmission with the 135 (or any other car). It is a bespoke Getrag specifically for the 1M.

Peace.
The transmission in the 1M was shared from the Z4 3.5 where the engine (N54T) was sourced from as well.
__________________
don't read this. too late...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #11
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
1586
Rep
3,870
Posts

Drives: 2011 1M, 2003 330i ZHP
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-1M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekraps View Post
The 1M is already 55MM wider than the 135, but shares the shifter and six speed transmission with its cousin.
Hi. FYI the 1M does not share a transmission with the 135 (or any other car). It is a bespoke Getrag specifically for the 1M.

Peace.
It was bespoke when it came out in 2011 with new coatings on the synchros hence LT-5 fluid and all the confusion that came about but they used the transmission in the last two years of 135i. So mostly correct. It was also different from the Z4 when it came out. While the engine was sourced from it the transmission was an improved version and it also might have been used on later z4s. That is where the confusion exists.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 02:48 PM   #12
duder13
Captain
duder13's Avatar
648
Rep
774
Posts

Drives: Cashmere
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Insane price, but cool build. I'm glad they did this to a 135i, rather than ruining a 1M.

It would have been pretty awesome if the 1M came with the NA V8.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 03:00 PM   #13
10"
Major
10"'s Avatar
2078
Rep
1,293
Posts

Drives: orange BMW 1M.
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Brooklyn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
It was bespoke when it came out in 2011 with new coatings on the synchros hence LT-5 fluid and all the confusion that came about but they used the transmission in the last two years of 135i. So mostly correct. It was also different from the Z4 when it came out. While the engine was sourced from it the transmission was an improved version and it also might have been used on later z4s. That is where the confusion exists.

the 1M transmission was derived from the Z4 which may have had some connections to the original 135i (N54) transmission. AFTER the 1M was released the N55 135i that followed used the exact same transmission as the 1M but i believe with a different clutch (someone can confirm) and the Z4 that followed that used the exact same transmission as well. In fact the 1M transmission went onto be further developed and the F8X M3/M4 and M2 also use a further evolved version of the same transmission which was evolved out of the 1M.

it is a complicated story.

The clutch for the 1M was shared from the 335is.

All in keeping with the 'parts bin' categorization of these cars.

EDIT: i just looked up the transmission. it's the GS6-53BZ and when i say it was "taken from the Z4" i mean all the settings and ratios were used since the Z4 35is was using the N54T. It seems possible the N54 135i was also using the same transmission but set up differently.
__________________
don't read this. too late...

Last edited by 10"; 09-22-2019 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 04:43 PM   #14
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
1586
Rep
3,870
Posts

Drives: 2011 1M, 2003 330i ZHP
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
It was bespoke when it came out in 2011 with new coatings on the synchros hence LT-5 fluid and all the confusion that came about but they used the transmission in the last two years of 135i. So mostly correct. It was also different from the Z4 when it came out. While the engine was sourced from it the transmission was an improved version and it also might have been used on later z4s. That is where the confusion exists.

the 1M transmission was derived from the Z4 which may have had some connections to the original 135i (N54) transmission. AFTER the 1M was released the N55 135i that followed used the exact same transmission as the 1M but i believe with a different clutch (someone can confirm) and the Z4 that followed that used the exact same transmission as well. In fact the 1M transmission went onto be further developed and the F8X M3/M4 and M2 also use a further evolved version of the same transmission which was evolved out of the 1M.

it is a complicated story.

The clutch for the 1M was shared from the 335is.

All in keeping with the 'parts bin' categorization of these cars.

EDIT: i just looked up the transmission. it's the GS6-53BZ and when i say it was "taken from the Z4" i mean all the settings and ratios were used since the Z4 35is was using the N54T. It seems possible the N54 135i was also using the same transmission but set up differently.
I was there in the beginning. The 1M was the first gearbox to require lt-5. Period. It was modified with new coatings that required lt-5. So while a small change it was different enough for z4 to require the new fluid. After the 1M the same gearbox was used so despite what parts numbers are listed today the 1M gearbox was bespoke initially. So both of you had valid points. You can try to make your point right by saying that the new fluid and synchro coating doesn't count but to the 739 of us that lived the lt-5 fiasco it was another story. This is starting to feel like some kid arguing with war veteran because he read a lot of books about war. Facts still matter.
Appreciate 1
rad doc205.00

      09-23-2019, 12:51 AM   #15
gmx
Second Lieutenant
65
Rep
272
Posts

Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sydney, AU

iTrader: (0)

1M gearbox is the GS6-45BZ, same as N55 135i. Does not use the 335is/550i clutch.
Appreciate 1
Sam_M140.00

      09-23-2019, 06:29 AM   #16
MightyMouseTech
Major General
MightyMouseTech's Avatar
3412
Rep
5,387
Posts

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-1M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekraps View Post
The 1M is already 55MM wider than the 135, but shares the shifter and six speed transmission with its cousin.
Hi. FYI the 1M does not share a transmission with the 135 (or any other car). It is a bespoke Getrag specifically for the 1M.

Peace.
Absolutely not. Exact same part number as the manual in the N55 135i.

And the 135i got the transmission first, starting in 2010. So the 1M raided the parts bin and got the 135i trans.
Appreciate 1
Sam_M140.00

      09-24-2019, 12:50 PM   #17
Rekraps
USMA 81
United_States
79
Rep
191
Posts

Drives: Own two 1M's, VO total OEM
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Jeez guys, didn't mean to ignite a fact fight. So....

"Over the past two days we've learned quite a lot about the 1M from Dr Kay Segler and BMW NA M Brand Manager Matthew Russell. For starters yes that is a Z4 35is N54B30TO (aka «N54HP») engine under the hood. While we had heard that there were various internal changes done by M, we can now confirm that there are no physical changes to the engine. As you heard in our interview with Matt Russell the Z4 35is has a N54 variant that was itself tweaked by the engineers at M. Specifically they have created two throttle maps (via the M button) and in turn created the most raucous N54 variant yet (based on how it sounded while revving at the show). From the lighter flywheel to the enhanced software and everything in between M went through the N54 thoroughly in creating the Z4 35is. Tolerances are tighter and the soul of the engine has been enhanced. Dr. Segler was adamant that M had taken the soul of this N54 and turned up several notches to create something that has a different character than the Z4 35is.
Also interesting was Dr. Segler's comments on the development of the car. The time-frame that M had to work within was impacted by of all things the weather. The fact that most of the development took place at the 'Ring (an M tradition) meant that M only had from April to October of this year to engineer and then sort the car. But what you end up with is «Pure M» has Dr. Segler calls it. What does that mean? In a quantitative way it means the 1M can do four laps on the 'Ring generally unfazed (i.e. without much brake fade etc).
The manual transmission has been something often overlooked when talking about the 1M. Yes the lack of DCT has been referenced constantly in forums and even was the NAIAS floor this week [January 2011]. But what about the actual 6-speed in the car ? We can now confirm that it is the same 6-speed found in the 135i with a E46 ZHP shift knob. The clutch however is the same item as in the 335is (due to needing to support the 369 ft-lbs of torque on overboost).
Speaking of transplants one of the more interesting things we learned this week is that M not only transplanted the entire suspension and braking system but the sub-frame of the M3. It's easy to compare this car to a E30 or even an E46 M3. But the more you look at the components the more the 1M looks eerily similar to the E92 M3 on paper.
Finally the question of brake ducts. Yes the pair giant holes in the front bumper are not brake ducts as you might expect. They are actually need to bring air to the oil and water coolers. But M hasn't forgotten about the brakes. Instead M has designed paths cleared under the chin to ensure plenty of fresh air reaches the brakes."
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M378.50

      09-27-2019, 01:08 PM   #18
10"
Major
10"'s Avatar
2078
Rep
1,293
Posts

Drives: orange BMW 1M.
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Brooklyn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekraps View Post
Jeez guys, didn't mean to ignite a fact fight. So....

"Over the past two days we've learned quite a lot about the 1M from Dr Kay Segler and BMW NA M Brand Manager Matthew Russell. For starters yes that is a Z4 35is N54B30TO (aka "N54HP") engine under the hood. While we had heard that there were various internal changes done by M, we can now confirm that there are no physical changes to the engine. As you heard in our interview with Matt Russell the Z4 35is has a N54 variant that was itself tweaked by the engineers at M. Specifically they have created two throttle maps (via the M button) and in turn created the most raucous N54 variant yet (based on how it sounded while revving at the show). From the lighter flywheel to the enhanced software and everything in between M went through the N54 thoroughly in creating the Z4 35is. Tolerances are tighter and the soul of the engine has been enhanced. Dr. Segler was adamant that M had taken the soul of this N54 and turned up several notches to create something that has a different character than the Z4 35is.
Also interesting was Dr. Segler's comments on the development of the car. The time-frame that M had to work within was impacted by of all things the weather. The fact that most of the development took place at the 'Ring (an M tradition) meant that M only had from April to October of this year to engineer and then sort the car. But what you end up with is "Pure M" has Dr. Segler calls it. What does that mean? In a quantitative way it means the 1M can do four laps on the 'Ring generally unfazed (i.e. without much brake fade etc).
The manual transmission has been something often overlooked when talking about the 1M. Yes the lack of DCT has been referenced constantly in forums and even was the NAIAS floor this week [January 2011]. But what about the actual 6-speed in the car ? We can now confirm that it is the same 6-speed found in the 135i with a E46 ZHP shift knob. The clutch however is the same item as in the 335is (due to needing to support the 369 ft-lbs of torque on overboost).
Speaking of transplants one of the more interesting things we learned this week is that M not only transplanted the entire suspension and braking system but the sub-frame of the M3. It's easy to compare this car to a E30 or even an E46 M3. But the more you look at the components the more the 1M looks eerily similar to the E92 M3 on paper.
Finally the question of brake ducts. Yes the pair giant holes in the front bumper are not brake ducts as you might expect. They are actually need to bring air to the oil and water coolers. But M hasn't forgotten about the brakes. Instead M has designed paths cleared under the chin to ensure plenty of fresh air reaches the brakes."
Thanks well aware of that; however they chose that transmission because the Z4 35is was using it and they literally used the exact same ratios and setup. Same goes for the clutch. Yes it used the same transmission as the 135 but the 1M's setup was pulled exactly out of the Z4 35is—-they just changed the knob.

You should remember the Z4 was a more expensive car, as was the E9X M3 so the 1M was pulling stuff out of more expensive cars to construct a 'cheaper' car. There was some PR delicacy at play here as well.
__________________
don't read this. too late...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 04:51 AM   #19
gmx
Second Lieutenant
65
Rep
272
Posts

Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sydney, AU

iTrader: (0)

Z4 35i manuals were fitted with the GS6-53BZ. Once again, the 1M got the GS6-45BZ. It is not the same. It is lighter, has less fluid capacity, different synchro material (hence the fluid mixup).
35is were DCT only. Unless manuals were USA only, which I can't find any reference for?
Clutch is definitely not the same, PR delicacy for sure going on here. Pressure plate is 100% different between 335is and 135i/1M. The clutch kit is the same part number for 1M/135i.
The only thing in the drivetrain that is unique to the 1M is the flywheel and programming (beyond the M button). There is no throttle dampener rubbish. Refer to this thread:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1610143

Let's revisit some more PR delicacy here. No manual for the Z4 35is was because the trans apparently couldn't handle the increased torque and overboost Yes, the same 53BZ trans that is becoming popular for other platforms such as the MK4 Supra where the V160/161 is no longer feasible. The same trans that is much more stout than the 45BZ in the 1M which also got the N54B30T0.
Another funny note, they limited PPK flashes for the 135i/335i DCT and manual to 317ft/lb. The same DCT is used throughout and on z4 35is, no idea about the clutch-packs.

Point is tangible evidence of what is actually on the car, or part numbers in their own catalog is the truth. Not what what director said for journalists; and the potential(real) misinformation as it filters through journalists, enthusiasts, owners etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 12:42 AM   #20
JP-1M
Private First Class
JP-1M's Avatar
Japan
116
Rep
144
Posts

Drives: Alpine White 1M
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Japan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Genuine thanks for all of the transmission clarifications, especially, but not only, the replies from forum and ownership seniors. I'm now much better informed, although not necessarily sure what the absolute truth is. In any case I will no longer over simplify and claim the transmission is unique to the 1M.

As always, peace.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 10:22 AM   #21
Rekraps
USMA 81
United_States
79
Rep
191
Posts

Drives: Own two 1M's, VO total OEM
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

You are lucky to escape with you life! Good lord.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 07:47 PM   #22
1&done
Major
1&done's Avatar
United_States
179
Rep
1,492
Posts

Drives: 2011 VO 1M
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Jupiter, FL

iTrader: (27)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to 1&done
What's MOST important is that fact that there was no DCT and the fact that M only had from April -Oct means they didn't over engineer and F something up. How much development time did they have to work on the M2?! Just say'n
__________________
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST