BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-26-2021, 07:52 PM   #1
APhuze
Private
Rep
Drives: e82 135i n55

Bought a 135i with custom PTF maps, now im confused

Edit: the maps are absolutely amazing! no problems thus far

Last edited by APhuze; 11-30-2021 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 08:38 AM   #2
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
If you don't plan on modifying the car more, stick with the custom PTF maps. They will be optimized for your mods. Although MHD has come a long way and has progressed the platform OTS maps are generic maps, and will not have an advantage over a custom Cobb map for your mods. Cobb was no slouch and a access pro custom tuner had access to all the parameters with the engine that a MHD tuner has.

With your mods I'd stick with the Stage 2+ V5. That is probably the finalized map from PTF. Also make sure you are using 94 Octane or 98 ron or 100 ron if you can find it.

Last edited by ErvGotti; 06-27-2021 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
APhuze3.50
      06-27-2021, 11:11 AM   #3
APhuze
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErvGotti View Post
If you don't plan on modifying the car more, stick with the custom PTF maps. They will be optimized for your mods. Although MHD has come a long way and has progressed the platform OTS maps are generic maps, and will not have an advantage over a custom Cobb map for your mods. Cobb was no slouch and a access pro custom tuner had access to all the parameters with the engine that a MHD tuner has.

With your mods I'd stick with the Stage 2+ V5. That is probably the finalized map from PTF. Also make sure you are using 94 Octane or 98 ron or 100 ron if you can find it.
Thank you so much for your input, i really appreciate it! I was a bit torn between some folks telling me MHD is top tier, this and that. But part of me wondered that if it was a custom tune, whether it'd be five years ago or a year ago... the map would still be relatively the same right? Correct me if im wrong though im new to the world of ECU Maps. I had a lot of folks tell me "cobb is outdated, they are no longer supported, those maps are old news" so i was steering towards getting MHD due to the constant map support initially.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 11:21 AM   #4
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhuze View Post
"cobb is outdated, they are no longer supported, those maps are old news"
I'd say there's merit to that when talking stock map vs. stock map. Cobb wasn't stupid so they won't be so different but I'm sure there's been things realized and understood and improved over time.

As for custom tunes it's basically tuner vs. tuner. Your existing maps might be idiotic or genius. You'd have to find out who made them.

Right now an MHD upgrade may or not actually be an upgrade. Have to find out more about what you have first.
Appreciate 1
APhuze3.50
      06-27-2021, 02:22 PM   #5
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
Thank you so much for your input, i really appreciate it! I was a bit torn between some folks telling me MHD is top tier, this and that. But part of me wondered that if it was a custom tune, whether it'd be five years ago or a year ago... the map would still be relatively the same right? Correct me if im wrong though im new to the world of ECU Maps. I had a lot of folks tell me "cobb is outdated, they are no longer supported, those maps are old news" so i was steering towards getting MHD due to the constant map support initially.
MHD OTS maps vs Cobb OTS maps, yes Cobb is very outdated. But you have a custom tune and like I said a Cobb custom tuner had access to the same engine tables as an MHD custom tuner. Also PTF was one of the best tuners back then, and is still a great tuner. You will not see any benefit from switching to MHD OTS and will likely see a downgrade in performance with an OTS map, unless you plan on more upgrades and getting a custom MHD map.
Appreciate 2
      06-27-2021, 07:17 PM   #6
APhuze
Private
Rep

Quote:
MHD OTS maps vs Cobb OTS maps, yes Cobb is very outdated. But you have a custom tune and like I said a Cobb custom tuner had access to the same engine tables as an MHD custom tuner. Also PTF was one of the best tuners back then, and is still a great tuner. You will not see any benefit from switching to MHD OTS and will likely see a downgrade in performance with an OTS map, unless you plan on more upgrades and getting a custom MHD map.
thing is i can't find who did the PTF map, because i asked BM3 and pro tuning freaks and they have absolutely no log of my VIN with them, so im not sure who made the custom maps thats what worries me
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 11:18 AM   #7
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
thing is i can't find who did the PTF map, because i asked BM3 and pro tuning freaks and they have absolutely no log of my VIN with them, so im not sure who made the custom maps thats what worries me
Do a couple of logs with the access port in third and fourth gear. From 2500 RPM to around 6500 WOT. If logs come back looking good, I wouldn't sweat about who did the maps. PTF hasn't supported the N54 in years, so I'm not surprised they probably lost the files.
Appreciate 1
APhuze3.50
      06-28-2021, 11:36 AM   #8
APhuze
Private
Rep

Quote:
Do a couple of logs with the access port in third and fourth gear. From 2500 RPM to around 6500 WOT. If logs come back looking good, I wouldn't sweat about who did the maps. PTF hasn't supported the N54 in years, so I'm not surprised they probably lost the files.
Really appreciate the insight thank you so much i'll do exactly that!
Appreciate 0