E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 6-Spd Steptronic Owners. Share your thoughts.

10-01-2005, 10:19 PM   #23
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

The best thing above all is that fact that while the manual transmission pretty much reached in apex in terms of technical advancements...the automatic transmission field is quickly and heavily evolving.

Things like SMG and DSG are popping up after tiptronic came about. Furthermore, DSG is now faster than manual. The Audi A3 hits 0-60 in 6.7 compared to the manual's 6.9. Of course, it's debatable whether DSG has more control to offer, if any, over a manual.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 12:02 AM   #24
blueStreak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 Enthusiast
The only thing I didn't care for was that in manual mode, the upshift and downshift direction were opposite of what I'm used to, and actually seemed counter-intuitive to me.
Interesting, this is my first auto tranny car and I find that the manual shifting directions are the natural direction to me. When I drove other cars, I went nuts trying to remember that an upshift was forward and not backwards.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 02:42 AM   #25
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpremier
As you would know, there are no published dyno #'s out yet so you aren't really asking for proof. You just want to make yourself feel better for getting the step.

But don't worry, I got the step too.
hehehehe,

Oh I made myself feel better about the step, months before I took delivery. I had manual e36 from '92 - 98 then manual e46 from 98 - '05.

Time to move on to a step this time and I feel GREAT about it, no question. Only because of the new 6 speed gem teamed with the new N52 engine. So very much better than my old 323.

Most - not all - BMWs sold in Australia are autos and the resale/trade in value is just a little higher than manuals. The nature of the beast here.

Enjoy your car.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 02:45 AM   #26
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuzmaker
PROS: DS is Telepathic!
And it can even read your mind too!!!'

Well put shuzmaker.

I think it can see the road ahead and just knows what to do.
Enjoy!!
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 10:50 AM   #27
shuzmaker
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 325iAS

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David325Australia
And it can even read your mind too!!!'

Well put shuzmaker.

I think it can see the road ahead and just knows what to do.
Enjoy!!

WOW REALLY??? LOL!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 09:06 PM   #28
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Its great. Like others have said as far as traditional autos go, its fantastic. There is usually a lag in the manual shifts so you just have to learn to shift about 500rpm sooner than you actually want it to occur. DS is great but if you're going through the twisties or really aggressive driving, you'll still want to be making the call as to which gear to stay in.

Now, all you have to do is not drive an Audi with the DSG gearbox. Faster shifts than a manual but with an automatic mode and paddle shifters to boot. What I wouldn't do to get a DSG-like tranny on my 330i. Oh well, next time around!
      10-03-2005, 09:16 PM   #29
Squawks
United_States
Rep

I hope BMW brings back the manualmatic in the form of a double-clutch gearbox such as DSG. I've read rumors how BMW discontinued SMG solely because they are actually planning to utilize such a transmission (either a derivative of DSG or utilizing Audi's technology itself).

I'd get DSG over steptronic in a heartbeat - what more can you ask for --- extra clutchless control, extra flexibility, more speed (faster than the manual, at least)...all without sacrificing the fully "automatic" mode and only costing perhaps $200 over the traditional steptronic transmission? In fact, SMG was similarly priced to the steptronic when it was available on the 3's.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 02:59 AM   #30
warrenatc
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M5

A great transmission, extremely smoothe fast shifts and makes the car pull well above 3500rpm. The sound is awesome for my lowly 325i.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2005, 01:15 PM   #31
Yangster
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Compliment + A Question

My 325xi hasn't even been delivered yet, but I did just wanted to say that it's refreshing to see such a polite and intelligent discussion on the automatic vs. manual comparison that is devoid of all of the "Auto tranny sucks!" and "If you get an auto, you might as well buy a Kia!" sort of comments that you often encounter in conversations on this topic.

As for me, I know that you do pay a price in performance when you choose an automatic, but it all comes down to what your comfortable with -- A test-drive of the 325i with step really wowed me and my last two cars have been automatics because I don't like driving a manual in heavy traffic during my morning commute so I went with the steptronic for my E90.

One interesting thing about steptronic transmissions is that on some cars (including BMWs), you move the stick up to shift down and down to shift up, but on others (Infiniti and Acura, for example), it's the opposite. My last car was an Acura TL so that will take some getting used to. I'm guessing that the BMW set-up will prove more satisfying as it more closely mimics the movement of a manual stick, but I'm curious as to what everyone thinks about the difference in one set-up versus the other...

325xi
Steptronic / Arctic Metallic / Black Leather / Aluminum Trim
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2005, 01:23 PM   #32
Meatnog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sedan

I love the steptronic transmission, but not for the reason lots of people are listing.

I had a 2001 Chrysler Sebring and I got the 'auto stick' which is the same idea. I thought it was the coolest damn feature ever. I think I used it 10 times total in 4 years.

The best part of the BMW Steptronic isn't the ability to shift gears manually, but the 'sport mode' settings. It is so nice that when I feel like pissing away my gas mileage and just gunning the car, I can slap the shifter over and change all the ratios. Shifting by hand (IMO) in the steptronic is a waste of time. The car will automatically down/up shift you anyway if you're doing something it deems dangerous. So why bother? It isn't like the 330 has a lack of power from 60-90 mph anyway, no need to downshift.
      10-07-2005, 01:55 PM   #33
Choon
Boost Me!
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

i like my auto

i mean, everyone says to get the manual, but i dont regret it!
      10-11-2005, 04:59 AM   #34
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatnog
I love the steptronic transmission, but not for the reason lots of people are listing.

I had a 2001 Chrysler Sebring and I got the 'auto stick' which is the same idea. I thought it was the coolest damn feature ever. I think I used it 10 times total in 4 years.

The best part of the BMW Steptronic isn't the ability to shift gears manually, but the 'sport mode' settings. It is so nice that when I feel like pissing away my gas mileage and just gunning the car, I can slap the shifter over and change all the ratios. Shifting by hand (IMO) in the steptronic is a waste of time. The car will automatically down/up shift you anyway if you're doing something it deems dangerous. So why bother? It isn't like the 330 has a lack of power from 60-90 mph anyway, no need to downshift.
Shifting by hand in a car with Steptronic is not a waste of time when driving through some twisties and you want the car to hold a gear through the turns and in between. Sure the DS mode is pretty good but its not telepathic. Having to floor it going into a corner to force a downshift is hardly gonna make for a smooth turn.

Also, the DS sport mode doesn't change the gear ratios of the tranny. That's not possible. It changes the logic on when upshifts and downshifts are made. The gear ratios cannot be changed unless you change the transmission. Maybe you were thinking of a CVT.
      10-21-2005, 01:03 PM   #35
iDrive-E90
Intergalactic Commander
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen52
... Having to floor it going into a corner to force a downshift is hardly gonna make for a smooth turn...
In DS mode, mine tends to downshift proactively under brakes when driven spiritedly, so I don't need to floor it. But I have yet to put it on a track.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2005, 01:58 PM   #36
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Anybody knows if the rev limiter is variable or is it solidly set (in sports mode)? I've read from others already how sometimes the engine will downshift when appropriate, hitting high RPMs above 4500 while others are saying that the engine usually upshifts around 4500 RPM when cruising. How long does the engine really hold its RPM?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2005, 02:44 PM   #37
iDrive-E90
Intergalactic Commander
Rep
Drives: 330i

The upshift/downshift points are influenced by how hard you've been driving recently
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2005, 03:03 PM   #38
soj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i, SP, PP, CW

For a person who loves driving manuals, the step is a good compromise. When I used to live in the burbs, the manual was awesome. But since my move into the city, my last manual just drove me crazy. During traffic (90% of the time), the highest I will go with be 2nd gear. So it's, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd....for hours. Yeah, the manual gives ultimate control...but if I'm driving a couple of hours a day in traffic, I'd rather sit back and at least enjoy the ride rather than give myself extra large muscles on my right arm and left leg due to the insane amt of shifting I have to do.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2005, 12:17 AM   #39
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
^ oh dear. reminds me of the good old 100/SPM days. (shifts per minute).

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2005, 09:06 AM   #40
TECENG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Terra

When I had my 2000 323, the step shifted the reverse direction of what it does now (when I got my 2003 330, you pull the lever to shift up...that's how it is now). Talk about confusing! I can't tell you how many times I tried to downshift when I was in first trying to shift to second! Luckily, the step cannot be over-reved too far past redline so it's just embarassing...

I agree with all the comments posted, I too sit in way too much traffic and have also gotten lazy over the years. The step is a good compromise, although I am still painfully going through break-in at the moment and cannot comment on the 6-speed box.

330i Sparkling Graphite | Terra | Walnut | Steptronic | Sport | Premium | Navigation | Comfort Access | Cold Weather Pkg
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2005, 09:50 AM   #41
Robert A
Rep
Drives:

I suspect that the 0.3 second difference is partly due to the fact that automatic transmissions shift faster. When you accellerate in one gear, the speed advantage of a MT is more signficiant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
Fix: pull the stick back at 4000 RPM and it will shift at 4500 RPM It's called adaptation, my friend I'm just jibin'.

It's obviously generally accepted that the automatic transmission does indeed mitigate the powertrain - the quantity is a captious issue but it's universally observed. People need to put up dyno sheets to see if there's actually any difference in horsepower, which I doubt.

A manual transmission gives the driver much more perceived power, although in the end it's just 0.3 seconds faster than an auto transmission going 0-60 but then again, 0.3 seconds is still conspicuous to the driver.

Besides the point of speed, which is really a moot issue, most drivers go manual not because of speed but because of lithe control.
Appreciate 0