BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
philter25
Rep
Drives: Lookin to buy!

Options Question

Greetings all. Im thinking about pulling the trigger on the 135i. I test drove a bunch of cars in my new car search and this one just drove like buttah!

I have a silly question on options. My wife and I test drove a coupe and the way to get into the back seat was to pull the seat release lever on the seat and then push a button on the bottom of the seat to move the seat forward..... then we test drove a convertible that had a switch on the top of the seat that moved the seat forward and back.

My wife and I are planning on having our first kid in the next year and she really liked having the button on the top of the seat incase she ever had to put the kid in the back.

Does anyone know if this option is only on a convertible, or does it come with the premium package or the power seat?

I asked the dealer and he had no idea.

Silly question? Absolutely. Her first choice is the IS350 because its 4 doors and has a back seat but when she saw the button on the couvertible, she said "'oooh, this would help out a lot".

If all it takes is a button for her to be on board with a 135i, then im down with it.

-thanks in advance for any help and please dont flame me!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

It's not an option - it's standard!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
philter25
Rep

I should have clarified... Im looking to get a COUPE. I noticed it wasnt on the coupe I test drove, so it cant be standard.

Is it only a standard option on the convertible, or is it in one of the packages that I could get on the coupe?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
Lexington
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Blue Water

I have it on my coupe but I have the premium package. In my case I was not planning on the premium package but the wife figured if your paying that much for a car it needs to have the remote garage door opener included as part of the car. A lot of money for a garage door opener but it does come with a lot of other nice upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by syenisch View Post
It's not an option - it's standard!
It's definitly NOT standard.......you need power seats or the Premium Package to get that button (which I do not have in my convertible)

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

kids and 1ers

I have the top buttons on my convertible, but I have the premium package.

Bigger question to me is - are you sure you want a two-door with kids? I can tell you from experience that's not very sustainable. Further, the 1er has a very small trunk. The crap you have to carry around for one little kid will fill your trunk and you won't have room for anything else!

Also, little kids will trash your beautiful 1er. Think throw-up, diarrhea, baby-wipes, cheerios, spilled drinks, broken bits of toys, etc. The cars I had when my kids were little were trashed in no-time.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
philter25
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by singular View Post
I have the top buttons on my convertible, but I have the premium package.

Bigger question to me is - are you sure you want a two-door with kids? I can tell you from experience that's not very sustainable. Further, the 1er has a very small trunk. The crap you have to carry around for one little kid will fill your trunk and you won't have room for anything else!

Also, little kids will trash your beautiful 1er. Think throw-up, diarrhea, baby-wipes, cheerios, spilled drinks, broken bits of toys, etc. The cars I had when my kids were little were trashed in no-time.

Haha! Yea. We just got married and we both are 27. Either I get a coupe now, or I wait until Im 40 and the kids are out of the house.

My previous car was a RX7 which I autoX'd a good amount and I miss having a car that I can take to the track and have fun with.

My wife has a 2007 RAV4, which will be the family mover and this will be more of the weekend/commute car. My wife and I both commute to work together.

The trunk space isnt an issue because we have the RAV. When I head over to Lowes, I take the RAV. Same with road trips.

Actually the trunk space on the coupe is quite decent. I had my choice narrowed down to this and the G37 and this has almost double the cubic feet of space, plus coupes can fold down the rear seat and thats more than enough space for us.

So we had the debate of getting a sedan, but the only sedan was the IS350 that we liked and I really wasnt a fan of it. My wife actually wants to get the G37 and I favor the 135, so she is actually pushing for a coupe as our 2nd car...... provided it can have a somewhat useable back seat.

Kinda silly huh? Shopping for a coupe but making sure kids can fit in the backseat? Its like putting a tow hitch on a Miata or lowering your F-150 so you can take it to the drag strip, right?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 06:02 PM   #8
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by philter25 View Post

Kinda silly huh? Shopping for a coupe but making sure kids can fit in the backseat? Its like putting a tow hitch on a Miata or lowering your F-150 so you can take it to the drag strip, right?
Eh, life is all about compromise. It's all good!

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

IIRC, the top seat control comes with the power memory seats so (hopefully) you wouldn't have to get the entire premium package.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 09:40 AM   #10
philter25
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
IIRC, the top seat control comes with the power memory seats so (hopefully) you wouldn't have to get the entire premium package.

Tom
Im hoping the same thing. Im taking one for a test drive this weekend that has only the power memory seats... so I hope its there!

Thanks for the replies guys... Im glad to hear its not a convertible only option.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 09:40 PM   #11
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by philter25 View Post
Haha! Yea. We just got married and we both are 27. Either I get a coupe now, or I wait until Im 40 and the kids are out of the house.

My previous car was a RX7 which I autoX'd a good amount and I miss having a car that I can take to the track and have fun with.

My wife has a 2007 RAV4, which will be the family mover and this will be more of the weekend/commute car. My wife and I both commute to work together.

The trunk space isnt an issue because we have the RAV. When I head over to Lowes, I take the RAV. Same with road trips.

Actually the trunk space on the coupe is quite decent. I had my choice narrowed down to this and the G37 and this has almost double the cubic feet of space, plus coupes can fold down the rear seat and thats more than enough space for us.

So we had the debate of getting a sedan, but the only sedan was the IS350 that we liked and I really wasnt a fan of it. My wife actually wants to get the G37 and I favor the 135, so she is actually pushing for a coupe as our 2nd car...... provided it can have a somewhat useable back seat.

I think the 1 is very doable for family of 1 child, even a baby.
There is plenty of room for 1 car seat and for carrying the things you'll need. And, the 1 coupe has a nice trunk.

I would suggest though that you get the leatherette not the leather.
The leatherette is an amazing material. 3 years later it will still look like it did when new, and it's very easy to clean.
That said, the leather cleans nice as well, but it is more porous and more prone to staining from drinks, body fluids, etc...

Also, you should rethink the power forward option. In most cars those things move like molasses when compared to a manual method, which moves very quickly. I'd opt to be able to move the seat quickly and manually. Kids don't like to wait, especially when you're in a hurry too.

If you guys are planning another bundle within the next 3 years, you'd be better off in a 3 series, and the 3 handles every bit as good as the 1, in some ways better. It's not as prone to understeer. I had an E46 325i sport, and handling wise the 1 is not it's superior. 2 bundles of joy and a 1 would be a test of patience.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #12
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Actually, the manual seats are easier and quicker. You simply pull the seat forward to get in the back, then push them back in one easy motion. It's called convenient entry.

With the manual seats, you get all adjustments except for lumbar and memory. But they are so fast to adjust, you will wonder why you would need electric seats in the first place. And you don't get lumbar unless you also get the premium package anyways.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0