BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-17-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
jb2178
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Thumbs up Hopefully testdriving this weekend, couple ?s

Hey guys,
I'm hopefully going to be driving up to Herb Chambers in Boston this weekend to test drive the only 6 speed 128i's I can find on the dealership websites in the area. I won't be able to order or purchase until mid next week but I may want to put a deposit down but if they don't have one on the lot that meets my pretty strict criteria. What should I ask them? to check their alocation? to see what's on the way? or maybe get me one that fits my criteria from another dealers alocation?

I want to get this thing before mid May so I can road trip in style so an original order seems out of the question. Thoughts on the possability of landing one before then?

Criteria:
Required: 128i 6 speed sport pack, ipod
Acceptable colors (I haven't seen 1 in person yet so I'm not 100% on these but this is where I'm leaning): Arctic White, Titanium Silver, Blue Water
Options we can haggle over: Comfort Access, Premium Audio, Gray Polar Trim, Xenons
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #2
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

If they don't have what you want see if they have any incoming with a status of 111. That means it's nearing production but can still be modified to match your specifications. That's what I did and my 135i went into production just a couple of days after placing the order. Other people who ordered from scratch had to wait a couple of weeks before their cars went into production.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2178 View Post
Hey guys,
I'm hopefully going to be driving up to Herb Chambers in Boston this weekend to test drive the only 6 speed 128i's I can find on the dealership websites in the area. I won't be able to order or purchase until mid next week but I may want to put a deposit down but if they don't have one on the lot that meets my pretty strict criteria. What should I ask them? to check their alocation? to see what's on the way? or maybe get me one that fits my criteria from another dealers alocation?

I want to get this thing before mid May so I can road trip in style so an original order seems out of the question. Thoughts on the possability of landing one before then?

Criteria:
Required: 128i 6 speed sport pack, ipod
Acceptable colors (I haven't seen 1 in person yet so I'm not 100% on these but this is where I'm leaning): Arctic White, Titanium Silver, Blue Water
Options we can haggle over: Comfort Access, Premium Audio, Gray Polar Trim, Xenons
I'd avoid Herb Chambers, I've gotten bad feelings from them, and I've seen bad reviews. Plus, I'm not sure their online inventory is accurate - too many details have been lacking when I look.

BMW of Peabody http://www.bmwpeabody.com (which I've been very happy with) has a 6-speed 128i in White with Red leather. It's very pretty. If I didn't want a convertible, I might have bought it already. Last time I was there, it was over on their remote lot, but call ahead and tell them you want to drive it. I've seen it because I really wanted to look at the color combo before I committed to a car. And ask for Vinny or Kevin, Vinny has been my CA and very attentive, Kevin has helped him out when Vinny was busy with others or off when I needed to stop by.

Other than that, there's no way you can order and get the car by mid-May. You can ask them to look up East Coast inventory and they'll tell you what's available for them to trade for, including in-transit vehicles. That's how I got mine jumped in the process - it had just completed production on 4/2 when I decided what I wanted and they got it diverted to them. It's on a boat now.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 05:09 AM   #4
jb2178
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks - I'm going to try Inskip down the road first and hope their online inventory is out of date... either way it should be a fun weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 05:16 AM   #5
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

You chose the most important options and the colors should look great. I like your choices. Good luck with your search. I am looking forward to your opinions of the test drive. GOOD LUCK !

Sorry, but I suggest adding Bi-zenon and leather. Just my 0.02.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 10:10 AM   #6
pinksnyper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I'd love to find a 128 with 6spd around here :iono:

hopefully by the time I order in August
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 07:48 AM   #7
jb2178
First Lieutenant
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
... I am looking forward to your opinions of the test drive. GOOD LUCK !

Sorry, but I suggest adding Bi-zenon and leather. Just my 0.02.

Well my time got cut short on Saturday but I did get to test drive a sedona red premium packaged automatic 128i. Definately not the car I was hoping to drive but that didn't stop me from having some fun with it. My CA Jack McDevitt was very willing to let me DRIVE, I got to floor it on a nice twisty on-ramp and then cruise for a bit on the interstate. Over all the car is fantastic, balance balance balance. The funny thing is even with the automatic I was completely sold on the car. Jack is not a small guy but my wife was able to sit comfortably (tight but comfortable) in the seat behind him. The steering wheel felt great I just wish it had been a 6 speed. I was supposed to test drive a cooper-s but the mini sales staff must have been out to lunch so after standing around for 15 minutes with no one talking to us, the size of the trunk scared us away.

I like the non-sport wheels better then the sport wheels but bmw calls the sport wheels "light weight" - does anybody know how much lighter they are?

After sitting in both sport and non-sport I agree w/ most everybody on here - $1200 is worth the seats alone. But I also have to say the standards are not bad. The trunk was nicely sized and over all the car just looked fantastic. I'm not even affraid of sedona red, it would take some getting used to but it's a nice color regardless... my wife doesn't like the white so I guess silver has jumped to #1 but really if I can find one equipped the way I want I may settle on a color... very pretty car in person - the color is secondary to the shape.

Mid this week I find out for sure if I can make the purchase or place the order...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 08:35 AM   #8
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Very nice. Too bad you couldn't drive a manual, but having fun with the auto is great. I bet the stick will make it feel much quicker without the turbo's. I will get Alpine but silver is a great choice, matches the wheel color and is easy to keep clean. B4 my black Civic Si I had 3 Alabaster silver cars, so silver is out for me. I think the car looks good in any color. But Alpine is def. my next car color. I love the clean look and the contrast to clean/dressed blackwall tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 04:27 PM   #9
jb2178
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ordered and $1000 deposit paid... check the sig for details!!!!!!!
      04-21-2008, 05:06 PM   #10
Perfect128
Perfect128
Rep
Drives: '08 SGM 128i

Great looking combo! Classic.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #11
jb2178
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect128 View Post
Great looking combo! Classic.
Thanks - so excited - I went to hell and back in my civic and it was a great car but I've been waiting 10 years for somebody to make a fun to drive sport/luxury coupe that I could afford and was worth the upgrade, BMW stepped up. I pondered for a long time about a 3 series but evey generation I waited it got bigger and fatter.

Now begins the longest 6-8 weeks of my life.

Guess the freshly paid off subaru will get another road trip on the odometer.